PDA

View Full Version : Algae Question

Parnold
08-07-2008, 06:00 AM
I have a small amount of grape caulerpa growing in my tank. Should I remove it right away and is it a good idea to put it in the refugium.

hillbillyreefer
08-07-2008, 06:12 AM
Get rid of the stuff, it can be a pain if allowed to grow. I wouldn't put it in the fuge either.

Get some chaeto.

Keri
08-07-2008, 06:14 AM
GET

RID

OF

IT

NOW

I can't stress this enough!!

EmilyB
08-07-2008, 06:22 AM
Caulerpa is one of those macros that just suddenly "goes sexual, asexual, bisexual, or whatever", but it just goes white and spawns out all the crud it's been collecting...it's good tang food if you can give it to anyone.. :biggrin:

Keri
08-07-2008, 08:02 AM
I can't get it out of my 65, it started as this tiny cute sprig of a nothing and now it's taking over, strangling corals and impossible to pull out more than an inch at a time.

fencer
08-07-2008, 02:09 PM
I agree with Emily it does grow out of control. But you know if it growing rapidly is that not an indication of high nutrient enviornments. If it is growing it also taking out nitrates too. It has it uses if you harvest so it doesn't go out of control

Marlin65
08-07-2008, 04:23 PM
I have some in my fuge you need to prune it back by removing strands at a time. If you just rip it out you can have parts die and pollute your tank.
There is signs when it goes sexual it will turn white first. If you notice this you will want to pull it out as soon as possible.
I have a small bit in my fuge and it grows very slowly for me, but I have a very low bio load.
I think as long as you keep it out of your main tank and keep it contained you should be able to keep some. Just my 2 cents.
There is other algae that are better suited though.