PDA

View Full Version : T5 Height Above Water

martinmcnally
08-06-2008, 08:13 PM
I got a new T5 light unit, currently setup on a tank that is cycling. I have 2 Fiji Pink and 2 New Generation 14k bulbs in. Was wondering peoples thoughts on what height the lights should be above the water.

The guy at the store said 8 inches and he seemd to know what he was taking about however I have it currently set at 6 and it is still spalshing light all over the room.

If its not advised to lower it any more I guess I will have to build some kind of guard to go around it.

Martin

a4twenty
08-07-2008, 01:33 AM
do you have individual reflectors for the bulbs??

as long as the bulbs aren't getting splashed and you can still get your hand in the tank without moving the fixture, i would say you can move it down further.

Der_Iron_Chef
08-07-2008, 01:36 AM
I have a Tek T5 fixture, and I have it as low as the legs will allow. When I need full access to the tank, I just lift the fixture off.

JDigital
08-07-2008, 01:55 AM
I have the extendable 'arms' stretched out and resting on the frame... can't get much lower... lol and i get no splash from the tank.. not yet anyways.

mike31154
08-07-2008, 03:35 AM
My T5 fixture is just under 3 inches from the surface. The endcaps are sealed with O rings so it's safe that way. I do need to clean the salt off the bulbs periodically, depending on how much my VorTech pump is stirring up the surface. It's proven that distance is very important when it comes to light loss, more so when trying to penetrate water.

banditpowdercoat
08-07-2008, 05:46 AM
I hang mine form them retractable strings. Down LOW, then up fro maintenance

martinmcnally
08-07-2008, 08:58 PM
Sounds good. I lowered it down as far as it will go, its cutting down on lighting the whole room but Tek really could have done a better job with the blub housing to prevent so much light escaping sideways to the floor and room.

I am running 2 Fiji Purple but I think it's a little too much on the pink side, might swap one for something else when they are nearing the end of their life. However will wait to see how the coral looks.

Pic attached although it looks like my camera doesnt pickup on the pinkness very well.
Martin