PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have the links to salt contents info?

christyf5
08-06-2008, 06:01 AM
Not sure thats the right title. A few years ago a big salt study was undertaken, I remember the announcement that they were finished and a rather circular article by someone that never actually gave any results as they were planning on presenting them at MACNA or some other conference.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone had the links to those results. I'm looking for some info on which salts have the closest elemental concentrations to saltwater (in some areas anyways).

EmilyB
08-06-2008, 06:49 AM
There is a Borneman thread on marine depot, don't know if you read through that one, I fell asleep....

Veng68
08-06-2008, 08:36 AM
I think that was an old RC thread made by some guy who used to own a LFS. I know he received some donations for the testing of the salt from board members. I think he went out of business and I am not sure the results were ever posted.

Cheers,
Vic [veng68]

midgetwaiter
08-06-2008, 09:47 AM
Did the Borneman study ever get finished? I've never come across the final analyzed data from it.

There's been a few different studies done the past few years that can sorted into two categories. There's the straight up chemical analysis type the the AWT study and the Inland Reef Study vs the studies that try and measure the effect of the salt mixes on actual marine life like Borneman's MARSH study and the S-15 report Shimek did. It's tough to relate any of this to what a given salt is actually going to do for you in the end though, there's many contradictions and such involved.

The easiest to digest analysis is probably the AWT study you can find here:
www.aquariumwatertesting.com/AWT_Salt_Analysis_0208.pdf

mark
08-06-2008, 02:41 PM
here's (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1287118) the RC thread (it's on the top of their Chemistry forum)

christyf5
08-06-2008, 04:31 PM
Did the Borneman study ever get finished? I've never come across the final analyzed data from it.

There was a lot of rah rah about it and it was featured in two parts in either advanced aquarist or reefkeeping magazine but not a lot of info was really given IMO. I think the results were supposed to be presented at last years MACNA or IMAC but they didn't seem to get published and it got quiet pretty quickly after that.

Thanks for the links guys :biggrin: