PDA

View Full Version : what kind of corals do you prefer?

Stab_Master_Arson
08-06-2008, 03:46 AM
Personally, I like softies and Lps. the reasoning behind it is they are usually quite hardy, low maintenance and they "flow". I love to sit and watch the movement of my corals. I haven't got into sps not because I am cheap but because I view them as rocks. Some are very colourful but without the "dancing", I am not umm...amused by them. Maybe down the line I will get into them but IMO, nothing beats a simple colt coral, toadstools or a large torch.

mark
08-06-2008, 06:03 AM
Was the same, loved my xenia swaying in the current, didn't think it would happen but have since found SPS to be rather addicting.

Captainhemo
08-06-2008, 06:22 AM
Colorful ones :)

spreerider
08-06-2008, 04:11 PM
i like softies and LPS but sps are also good, but i like the swaying and movement from LPS and Softies

Aquattro
08-06-2008, 04:44 PM
SPS all the way. I keep a couple of "dancing" corals to amuse people not impressed with SPS though

christyf5
08-06-2008, 04:49 PM
SPS mostly for the color, there isn't a lot of color available here and if it does manage to make it through its either immediately put in a store display tank and not for sale or you have to sell your first born to afford it. I found it much easier to get colorful fuzzy sticks as sometimes the brown ones color up nicely. With the advent of australian LPS making it to the west coast (but still not here) there is more available when I make it to the mainland and certainly tempting but I'm sticking with my sps tank (with a few LPS frags here and there).

Captainhemo
08-06-2008, 08:19 PM
What types of LPS are you guys having success with in a high current/flow enviornment ?

Chaloupa
08-06-2008, 08:20 PM
I prefer SPS....and when you have good polyp extension...they do "wave" sorta! I love the colors also, you just can't beat it, however I do miss the ease of an LPS or softie tank.....

Patrick1
08-06-2008, 08:30 PM
I am an LPS and soft guy also. I am just setting up 4 Tunze 4055's to run on my profilux so I will have the back and forth wave action. However after taking a stab at SPS and seeing what some others have done. I can say I take my hat off to them.

OCDP
08-06-2008, 08:41 PM
I must say I prefer LPS and softies for several reasons, but mainly the ease of care. Also, as mentioned, it's very nice to watch corals flow in the current, add's a lot of movement to the tank. I also find LPS take up a nice chunk of space usually.

SPS are lots of fun, but are too much work for me (small system) They sure are cool though. They add awesome colour and structure to the reef tank.. I enjoyed keeping the various kinds I had. Mille's were among some of my favourites. They "danced" at least. SPS are also extremely and strangely fun to watch grow from a 1inch stick to a baseball sized colony... as well as the colour transformations they can take on.

spreerider
08-06-2008, 08:54 PM
my frogspawn does good in higher flow but not direct current from a powerhead

fishoholic
08-06-2008, 09:38 PM
I like LPS the best. I love the way they look and move. I have 3 different types of hammer corals and two different frogspawn.

Der_Iron_Chef
08-06-2008, 09:57 PM
I prefer LPS for their movement, as others have said. But the challenge of taking a browned out SPS frag/colony and seeing how it changes is pretty cool to me. That's currently where I'm at: LPS enthusiast, SPS experimentalist.

Snappy
08-06-2008, 10:37 PM
I would classify myself as an SPS guy but I like them all.:mrgreen:

kwirky
08-07-2008, 02:41 AM
i like to keep SPS mainly because there seems to be way more variety in SPS than in LPS and softies.

Plus I'm a sucker for bright pink coral ;)

EmilyB
08-07-2008, 05:04 AM
After 10 years, I have to say the most rewarding was the LPS. I had some awesome pieces, but I was always motivated to move up. I didn't get the satisfaction out of my sps tank, although I finally got polyps...lol, after a long fought battle with fish...

Now, I am intrigued about some new LPS, the fish I keep don't seem to bother them and the color and LIFE seems there more so.

Jason McK
08-07-2008, 01:59 PM
I to am an SPS guy although I do have a 12X12 none branching Hammer that I would never part with.

J

Sean
08-07-2008, 02:25 PM
I like the frogspawns and torches, they just have a silky type look that seems very calm to look at. They also come in some impressive bright colors.

My tank is made of polyps as they are the only thing i seem to beable to keep.. I'm going to try my hands again on some leather fingers, when i can find one that isn't brown

dsaundry
08-07-2008, 04:05 PM
Ok, I love them all, but right now I am mostly into softies, lots of Zoo's and Mushrooms, Ric's, and Toadstools..but I am working on setting up a Sps only tank in the future.....