PDA

View Full Version : Coral question.

OCDP
08-05-2008, 01:30 AM
This may sound silly.. but I am curious. Do corals adjust to our flow as they do to light?

I have too much flow for my tank (koralia 4, seio 820) and I have a Kenya Tree (or at least that's what it looks like) and it's probably receiving a little too much flow. It's a nice random flow and all, but I am wondering if the coral will adjust to this stronger, vigorous flow as they would to intense lighting? Obviously I will move it if I see it start to go downhill, but was just curious...

Sorry if this sounds retarded, it's been a long day..

Stab_Master_Arson
08-05-2008, 03:18 AM
Define "adjust to flow"..? Corals sensitivity to water movement is basically built into how they are constructed. A high intensity flow might not give it a chance to capture food, and it might irritate the polyps. Id say, and I am in no means an expert, that corals can "adjust" to a wide array of flows, as long as it can feed and as long as it is not irritated. If the polyps on your coral are retracted and it is constantly looking like it does after lights out, it might be getting too much flow. As for the kenya tree, I have found that those kinds of corals (kenya, colt etc) are pretty tolerable of difference amounts of flow. I would be more worried about providing not enough flow rather than too much. I haven't seen your tank though and if it is looking like a Palm tree in hawaii during a typhoon, you might need to tone it down a bit.

http://personalinsure.about.com/b/a/432689_palm_tree.jpg

Myka
08-05-2008, 06:00 AM
^ :lol: Seriously, that's a good laugh! I agree with his post too. :D