PDA

View Full Version : Algae, Algae and more algae

jjhill
08-04-2008, 06:35 PM
So in my tank right now I have green hair algae, not a lot there is a light green color to most of the rocks and the back smokescreen of the tank is quite hairy. I also have very small amounts of red cynobacteria. But the real kicker is the tank is full of brown diatoms. The sand is almost all brown. There is a brown dusting on all the rocks, and even the green hair algae has been turning brown.

The tank is new about 2.5 months since cycling was complete so some of this may be accounted by a new tank. The phosphate levels, ammonia levels, nitrite and nitrate levels are all undetectable. I know this may be because the algae is using them up making them appear to be low when in reality they may not be, although even when I have done a water change, siphoned as much algae as possible, cleaned all the rocks and the glass and tested again I still can not detect any chemistry problems.

I use only R/O water for water changes and top offs, so I am at a loss to explain and get rid of all this algae. I thought it may be the lights so I cut the lighting back to only 8 hours a day but have not seen any improvements. Any suggestions from anyone? This algae is really getting annoying.

bignose
08-04-2008, 06:51 PM
I hear you one that one! I also have a 3 month old tank with almost the exact same problem. Green algae everywhere.

here's what I'm trying. 2 water changes a week, cut back light to 8 hrs a day, and wheening back feeding to once every two days.

This is what I've read on the internet. just passing the info along.

Myka
08-04-2008, 07:37 PM
I have a lot of suggestions, but it takes a book to write it all out, and I've done it so many times. Keep an eye out in the near future...I think I just may write out a whole thread on algaes!!!

Myka
08-26-2008, 03:38 PM
Here ya go, I finally wrote the "book" out... :lol:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=341902#post341902