PDA

View Full Version : PC's & Digitata

OCDP
08-04-2008, 05:04 PM
I should know this answer, but being away for almost two years is making me second guess my judgement.

I currently am running 130w PC's on a 20g tank. If I placed some digitata at the highest point in my tank, would it thrive? I am pretty sure digi's can handle PC's.. given they are recieving as much light as possible. Flow is not an issue, I have enough flow in this tank for a 40g + . Your input is appreciated. Thanks.

Scott

sharuq1
08-04-2008, 05:09 PM
We had digi under pc's for over a year, nice and high up. It did perfectly fine as did birdsnest. Just didn't see the color out of it that you do under mH. I'm sure lots of people will disagree with me, but they lived/grew/multiplied. :smile:

OCDP
08-04-2008, 05:22 PM
Interesting. That's kind of what I am getting at.. will the digitata actually *thrive* or just survive ? I should know this, because sadly I have done this... I just can't recall. I had MH's longer than I had PC's.

Birdsnest I could see growing, but not getting any of the possible colour intensity I would want !

Thanks for your input. MH's or T5's are calling my name louder and louder each day.. and I have only been with PC's for less than a week. :rolleyes:

sharuq1
08-04-2008, 05:27 PM
I would have to say "survive" rather than "thrive". Yes you can keep them, but you won't most likely won't see the growth and color out of them that you would with better lighting.

OCDP
08-04-2008, 05:49 PM
I would have to say "survive" rather than "thrive". Yes you can keep them, but you won't most likely won't see the growth and color out of them that you would with better lighting.

Fair enough.. I suspected so. I was hoping digi was even more hardy and easy to keep than I once thought.

I may have to find myself a piece of that. I love watching SPS grow..

marie
08-04-2008, 05:51 PM
I've had montis thrive under vho lights, I can't comment on pc's because I've never liked the colour the bulbs produced so I never considered them a lighting option :mrgreen:

My montis under 4 110w vho's in a 75g tank
http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/medium/220P9160230.jpg

OCDP
08-04-2008, 06:49 PM
Crazy.. everything looks awesome Marie,

Yeah, PC's aren't my first choice of lighting. Came with the setup though so I am dealing with it. I see MH's or T5's in my near future..

It's funny when I started this hobby it was just a FOWLR, using flourescent bulbs... which obviously looked terrible. Then I upgraded to the Coralife 130w PC's and was blown away... then I got MH's, and was blown away again. Who knew lighting could be so exciting.

Captainhemo
08-04-2008, 08:27 PM
I'd think that a Birdsnest might do better under your PC's than the Digi's. And if you like watching things grow ......