PDA

View Full Version : phosban reactor?

tgoeujon
08-04-2008, 04:35 AM
just got the reactor and im not sure what i need for a pump. also im kinda wondering what people use for media.

mseepman
08-04-2008, 04:38 AM
I have a 2 little fishies reactor and I use an MJ400 as the feed pump...even then, I have to keep the JG valve partially closed in order to not have too much flow. As for media, I started using Seachem, but moved over to the High Capacity media from Bulk Reef Supply...very good stuff...and it doesn't take much. Plus now you don't pay duty from them on any order so you are getting a really good deal from them.

Myka
08-04-2008, 05:39 AM
I have a 2 little fishies reactor and I use an MJ400 as the feed pump...even then, I have to keep the JG valve partially closed in order to not have too much flow. As for media, I started using Seachem, but moved over to the High Capacity media from Bulk Reef Supply...very good stuff...and it doesn't take much. Plus now you don't pay duty from them on any order so you are getting a really good deal from them.

I have the same reactor, and use the same pump. I used to use RowaPhos, but I switched to same HC GFO from BRS as MArk uses. I also like it quite a lot. I think it compares very well with the RowaPhos. The HC GFO from BRS is heavier than most GFOs (inc Rowa), so you can turn it the flow up a bit higher, but you get the best adsorbtion at about 50-75 gph, so you have to throttle that MJ400 back quite a bit with a ball valve so that the top of the media just barely "boils".

ShrimSkin
08-04-2008, 01:27 PM
I use seachem matrix carbon and rowaphos in my reactor. for a power head I'm using an aquaclear 20 and I have to dial it down a bit to keep the media in there.

banditpowdercoat
08-04-2008, 02:24 PM
Seachem matrix and |Rowa here too. I have the reactor plumbed off my return pump, so no extra pump needed.

michika
08-04-2008, 02:25 PM
I run a small maxijet (I don't know which one), and use a John Guest valve on the output side to control the flow through the reactor. It worked great when I used it, but no longer have need for a phosban reactor so its offline.

Lance
08-04-2008, 04:23 PM
MJ 400 and Rowaphos

hecks220
08-04-2008, 07:04 PM
i use kent carbon and zeovit zeolites with a mj400. every couple of days, i disconnect the zeolites and shake them up to remove the mulm.

tgoeujon
08-15-2008, 03:06 AM
would activated carbon and chemi pure be alright to mix with the rowa phos?

tgoeujon
08-15-2008, 06:17 AM
bump

banditpowdercoat
08-15-2008, 11:22 AM
Yup. Im mixing Carbon and Rowa together in my reactor. Speaking of which, probibally time for me to change them too LOL

Oscar
09-20-2008, 11:06 AM
Yup. Im mixing Carbon and Rowa together in my reactor. Speaking of which, probibally time for me to change them too LOL

So you can run both in the same reactor not 2 reactors in series?

Edit: I just downloaded the installation instrctions from Two Little Fishies, in it they acknowledge that carbon and Phosban can be installed in the same reactor.

Hairytank
09-20-2008, 06:50 PM
Two Little Fishes and Rowa Phos with an old Aqua Clear 30 powerhead.
Bag of carbon in sump.
I change the carbon more often than the Rowa so wanted it seperate.

tgoeujon
09-21-2008, 04:52 AM
how much rowaphos for a 55 gallon would be appropriate?

Pescador
09-21-2008, 05:02 PM
I just started using the GFO/Carbon reactor from Bulk Reef Supply. It uses refillable cartridges in an RO style filter housing. There is a single filter version as well that you can run GFO and carbon in the same cartridge.
With the foam in-between the GFO will tumble and the carbon doesn't.
They recommend a MJ-1200 for the twin version but I have it teed off the return line.
I think it's pretty slick, I was tired of fighting with the lids and connections on the Little Fishies reactors.
They have a video on their site showing how it works.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y126/Pescador58/Reef%20Tank/IMG_1376.jpg http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y126/Pescador58/Reef%20Tank/IMG_1373.jpghttp://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y126/Pescador58/Reef%20Tank/IMG_1374.jpg

Hairytank
09-21-2008, 05:39 PM
The instructions for Rowa Phos call for 100ml of Rowa for a 100gal tank, therefore 55ml of Rowa will be good. I usually add an extra 10ml as I loose some when I rinse it with RO water to get the finer particles out and reduce the initial brown water.

Oscar
09-21-2008, 05:57 PM
I just started using the GFO/Carbon reactor from Bulk Reef Supply. It uses refillable cartridges in an RO style filter housing. There is a single filter version as well that you can run GFO and carbon in the same cartridge.
With the foam in-between the GFO will tumble and the carbon doesn't.
They recommend a MJ-1200 for the twin version but I have it teed off the return line.
I think it's pretty slick, I was tired of fighting with the lids and connections on the Little Fishies reactors.
They have a video on their site showing how it works.

Yes, I was just eying that up on their website yesterday. If the carbon gets changed more frequently than the GFO would it be a messy process?

I would like to hang the single unit on the back of the tank. Does reversing the mount look like it would work?

Pescador
09-21-2008, 06:33 PM
If the carbon gets changed more frequently than the GFO would it be a messy process?

I would like to hang the single unit on the back of the tank. Does reversing the mount look like it would work?

It would be tougher to change just the carbon with the single stage cuz it goes in the cartridge first.
The bracket on the single stage looks like it will convert to HOB pretty easy.
My 2 stage has a regular RO type bracket but you could add a couple clips to hang it.