PDA

View Full Version : sps response & lighting

Doug
08-03-2008, 05:59 PM
As I switch back & forth between my 90g sumpless and 45g cube, {which in itself is head scratching :lol: }, I notice a huge difference in the corals and their response to a single 250 versus two on the 90g.

Everything else remains the same and if anything one would think the improved current and oxygen.co2 exchange in the cube with a sump would be better.

In the 90g an acro colony has bright blue tips. Back in the cube, they have almost gone to a similar green that most of the corals body is. Milli,s go from a beautiful green tips on one and blue tips on another to drab tips, similar to the rest of the colony. I still see growth on these corals.

A beautiful pink/green digita, looks more brown. Heck even my tubinaria reniformis does not look the same brilliant color and is more of a yellow/brown.

So, I,m guess the intensity from duel halides on some of the corals, as compared with the single on the cube would factor in here. The duel is the same reeflux 12K I,m running on the cube and an old SA 14K.

Its not moving the corals, {their use to that :lol: }, as I can put them back in the 90 and in a day or so, there color is back. Not to mention the visable growth between the two set ups.

I even notice the sister colony of my acro, in Mike tank under 8 T-5,s looks very nice but similar to mine under one halide and not as nice as mine under two halides. Esp. this coral, as its always higher up, {although its higher in the cube}, and centered between the halides.

Unless I,m missing something, its showing me a pretty big difference in response to lighting intensity.

Snappy
08-04-2008, 05:15 AM
Doug,
I have some that do better in med light and some in higher light. Welcome to the mysteries of sps:lol: Every coral seems to have it's own unique "happy place" and all we need to do is find where that is.:wink: