PDA

View Full Version : Help!

Parnold
08-02-2008, 05:50 AM
Something has happened to my Kole tang. On both sides of its body where the tail and body join there is what appears to be BONE sticking out - what happened? what do I do?

tlo
08-02-2008, 05:53 AM
It sounds like normal "blades" all tangs have. They use them to slice other fish when fighting.

Parnold
08-02-2008, 06:10 AM
Thanks for the reply. I guess they retract after a while? They have been out for over an hour and he has been acting agitated although he has been eating. It looks like he has bruising on him but no bite marks. I have a 6 inch Blue Throat Trigger in the tank that I keep a very close eye on. He hasnt bullied anyone or eaten my corals but I cant see any of the smaller inhabitants bothering the Kole.

naesco
08-02-2008, 04:20 PM
Did you just add the tang or trigger to your tank?
What is the size of your tank?

Parnold
08-02-2008, 09:09 PM
I added the tang with the trigger about a month ago to my 135 gal. I bought them both from JL. The trigger was from another persons tank. This person sold him because he was getting to large for his 65 gal and said he didn't bully nor eat his coral. This is the reason I tried him out in my tank. I hope things dont go bad, he is a real beauty and almost seems tame.

christyf5
08-02-2008, 11:11 PM
Here is a photo of a kole tang you can clearly see the "tang" or blade at the area where the tail joins the rest of the body. When threatened the tang will aim its tail and try to take a swipe out of the offending fish. Thats how they defend themselves for the most part.

http://keithwright.us/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=81&g2_serialNumber=2

I hope this helps :biggrin:

EmilyB
08-03-2008, 06:11 AM
I had a tang get his blade bent backwards once, so it stuck straight out...maybe a rock injury or who knows...so he ran around like a kamikaze but it eventually went back. Or dropped off..hmm...it was gone anyway. :biggrin: