PDA

View Full Version : How do I prepare an Acro to go in the tank?

MikeP
08-02-2008, 03:13 AM
I've started to buy some acro colonies. What should I do to 'prep' the coral to go into the tank? Is fresh water dip a common preventative step? If so how do I do it properly? Is there anything else I should do before placing a new acro in the tank? (other than typical acclimation)

Thanks for any info.

tlo
08-02-2008, 03:41 AM
Dont freshwater dip your acro's. I learned this one from experience, this will usually kill the coral.
quarantine is the best method, and you can observe for red bugs, flatworms other unwanted hitchhikers. Iodine dips I don't find that usefull as it doesnt kill red bugs and it only "loosens" flatworms to make them more visible. It does nothing to their eggs.

Jason McK
08-02-2008, 03:50 AM
I'm really bad. I just place it in the tank.

I typically get my corals from sources that are trusted. I do examine the piece in the store

J

MikeP
08-02-2008, 04:37 AM
I'm really bad. I just place it in the tank.

I typically get my corals from sources that are trusted. I do examine the piece in the store

J

Yeah I've bought a couple and just put them in the tank, but I figure I should be more careful. I'd hate to end up with a problem that could be easily prevented. I'm not really sure what exactly to look for when examining the coral though.

Lance
08-02-2008, 04:45 AM
If I get them from a reliable source, I just acclimate them and then place them towards the bottom of the tank. Then I acclimate them to the lighting of their tank position (about a week).
If I'm not comfortable of the source, I give them a dip in Seachem Reef Dip and have a good look with a magnifying glass, then they either go into the display or into QT.

Red Coral Aquariums
08-02-2008, 04:57 AM
Mike

Great question this should become a sticky!!

Best advise is quarantine.

If That is not available observing the Coral at the LFS is very important - ask staff to show you underneath and around the coral. By doing this you can see if there are any pests, how well it is attached to its plug, and if the core is colored and healthy. I have had many customers ask me to pull the coral out so they could smell them. (SWEET CORN).

I have Also found a higher than normal mortality rate with FW dips.

A system I use for myself and my home tanks is coral observation(as above), and usually the new coral water temp is 5 or so C lower than your tank and after floating the bag for a bit and the temp is equal if there are flatworms or red bugs with the warmth you will easily see movement on the coral under close observation.

There are safe SPS dips I sell at the store but unfortunately I have not had the pleasure.

Great topic Mike I can't wait to hear Greg (snappy) and a few others chime in.
Kevin

Keri
08-02-2008, 05:46 AM
I use tropic marin coral dip and have seen a few nasties fall off. qting is best, but I like to also dip before I put them in qt.

But I'm a germophode. :)

mark
08-02-2008, 06:21 AM
Burned twice with Red Bugs but I'm still adding acros after just acclimatizing them. Know I should QT but still have 3 Interceptor pills left.

Still sort of on topic, on of the reasons I don't QT corals is don't have a light for the tank. What would be the minimum light to quarantine SPS say in a 20g, and if was to get a light, how long to leave in a QT?

michika
08-02-2008, 02:48 PM
SPS gets an Tropic Marin Pro Coral Cure bath, a close inspection, and from their its either to QT to into the tank. I keep interceptor on hand for Red Bugs, and I'm trying to source out Two Little Fishes' ReVive coral dip to use in case of flatworms.

MikeP
08-02-2008, 04:19 PM
I've inspected the coral pretty close. I googled some red bug pics and I don't think there are any in this colony. The only thing I see are some clear round balls (on the base the colony is attached to not on the coral at all), they seem harmless but what are they.

michika
08-02-2008, 04:23 PM
Photo?

How big are they? What happens if you scrape one off?

Myka
08-02-2008, 05:31 PM
I'm trying to source out Two Little Fishes' ReVive coral dip to use in case of flatworms.

J&L Aquatics has it.

I also just inspect corals, then toss em in. Most of the time I don't even acclimate them. I do acclimate fish. ;)

MikeP
08-02-2008, 05:44 PM
Photo?

How big are they? What happens if you scrape one off?

I could take a pic but I doubt they would show up very well. They are pretty small. They don't seem to be attached very well and they don't come off in one piece they pop if I try to remove them. I think I'll take them all off before I put the coral in.