PDA

View Full Version : Best powerhead

rudy
08-01-2008, 02:14 PM
I am having "issues" with my Ecotech Marine Vortech. I has spent more time broken then in my tank in the 6 months I have had it. Although the Supplier is helping me out I suspect it is going to be a while and I can't wait. The powerhead is much to important to my system as I am keeping stingrays and if the pump trips it will save them.

What is the best powerhead out there that breaks the surface like a vortech?

DanG
08-01-2008, 03:02 PM
I've got a couple of K3 hydor pumps and am very happy with them, but I switched to a vortech so I could get the wavemaker action and be able to remove some more heat from the tank.
You can get a controller for the hydor korilla pumps. Hydor makes one, and people also have success running them off of the seio wave maker because the seio just turns the power down, not off.

Chin_Lee
08-01-2008, 03:49 PM
IMO - best bang for your buck - Maxijet 1200's with the Sureflow modifications. $40 for a 2000+gph powerhead. Its not controllable but this controlling thingy of powerheads is overrated (I believe). Not sure why everybody wants to control the output of their powerheads. If you want less output, buy a smaller powerhead. Why do we buy a 3000+gph tunze to control and control the output between 1000-2500 gph? sorry to rant and a little off topic but the maxijet thing rocks.

fkshiu
08-05-2008, 06:02 AM
Sureflows are a great deal, but having tried both the modified maxijet route and now having controllable Tunzes, the full adjustbility of the Tunzes (esp. the pulsing action) has lead to better growth and polyp extension in the SPS.

The Sureflows get you 80% there, the Tunzes give you the last 20%. Whether you want to pay the extra cash for the controllability is your decision.