PDA

View Full Version : Looking for ppl to help me live in victoria bc

Turtle
07-31-2008, 07:20 PM
I have a 72gal tank i just got 4 months ago thing are going great and i love it more every day, looking for ppl that don't want fish or coral to help build up my reef i already have 1 large female clown, 1 yellow tang, 1 urchaint, 1 blue green chromis, 1 neon green wrasse, starfish i never see, hermit crabs, snails, 1 sally light foot crab, 1 rose bubble tipped anemone, and a sabea anemone nothing hosting in either of them make me sad my 2 cleaner shrimp go into the rose tipped time to time. i also have Anthelia, redsea xena and i have cabbage coral two heads. so if any one have tips or any thing it would b great cause im a new fish to all of this.

Whatigot
07-31-2008, 08:36 PM
depending on your skimmer and system specs, you might have enough of a bio load already.

you wanna take things real slow when you're just getting a reef running.
Though only you will know when your system has been overextended.
a big bioload though puts your tank at risk of having smaller things that are minor happen and become major due to the unforgiving margin of error when you're LR, skimmer and filtration are just covering your bioload.

If your skimmer is good and you have lots of substrate/LR with good water movement throughout you will be fine.

Just a word to the wise without having any idea what your system specs are.
cheers

Lance
07-31-2008, 10:06 PM
WHATIGOT gave good advice. Keep a close watch on your nitrate level. Tank up for 4 months, you're possibly due for an algae outbreak.

naesco
08-01-2008, 01:24 AM
WHATIGOT gave good advice. Keep a close watch on your nitrate level. Tank up for 4 months, you're possibly due for an algae outbreak.

Good advice from fellow reefers.

You have set yourself up for the most common mistake new reefers make and unfortuneately at the expense of your animals. You are going much to fast. As a rule of thumb you should be adding no more than one fish per month. You should begin with the easier stuff like mushrooms not anenome

Cut back on your bioload by selling as much as you can part with and hopefully your tank will settle.

Get the advice of reefers before you go out a purchase the fish/coral that you are interested in.

Good luck.

atcguy
08-01-2008, 01:35 AM
he didnt say anything was wrong with his tank.. 4 months old with what he has is fin if no problems exist., Dont go telling someone they should be selling as much as they can part with. thats your opinion , you have never seen his tank and there is no issues as of right now...

If problems exist then post and ask for more advice..

My advice invest in a quality skimmer off the bat. Better skimmer equals a better stocked tank that can handle the bio-load

Good luck

naesco
08-01-2008, 02:06 AM
atcguy, I think he was wanting to add morefish and coral.
By reducing his bioload he can reduce the potential for the problems that whatigot set out. Of course, that is my opinion.

He did post and asked for advice and its great that you suggested a quality skimmer (if he doesn't already have one).

atcguy
08-01-2008, 04:28 AM
fair enough.

Turtle
08-01-2008, 05:23 AM
guy i got this tank from my gf dad i reused water thing have been istableshed for along time i dont have to worry about new tank sedrom or anything he helpeed me set up so i dont think i hsvr to worry and im a fuss pot i do at least 10 to 15 gallon water change and i use nitratate spounge and what not

Turtle
08-01-2008, 05:29 AM
wow okay well all my stuff is doing fine my anemone are great i think i know what im doing more then you think and im not going to back down on what im doing so more hlp please ppl want to give to my cause would be great my gf dad had this tank for 6 year said im doing a way better job then him so more help please.

Red Coral Aquariums
08-01-2008, 07:19 AM
Turtle;
It is a joy to see a new hobbiest and the excitement you bring. You are so fortunate to have acquired an established tank but in doing so you may have skipped a bit of the learning curb essential to a successful start in this hobby. You asked for some help and I will give a few initial tips and I am sure others will join in.
1) Make sure you have up to date Test Kits and Know how to use them. To start NH3, NO2, NO3, CA, MG. Make sure your Hydrometer or Refractometer is reading accurately.
2) Get to know a good LFS in your area, if you need test kits take a water sample in and have them test it with the kits you purchase there and have them show you how to use them.
3) Reading material!! Start reading let us know what interests you.
4) Water changes: Set up a water change regimen remembering to always top up with RO water and put into your tank exactly the same amount of salt water that you take out.
5) AND Enjoy yourself.

Kevin

Turtle
08-01-2008, 01:03 PM
thanks guys for the tips keep them coming, dont mind hereing thing i already know just trying to find out new stuff okay i was woundering i have to anemone nothing hosting them from time to time my cleaner shrimp will go into my rosed tipped bubble anemone but nothing really host what should i get to try and get it to host?

mike31154
08-02-2008, 12:10 AM
Did the clownfish and rose anemone come with the tank or did you add them after setting it up? Large female clown? Any idea what species? If it's a maroon, then it should host in the RBTA at some point especially if it was doing so when your Dad had the tank going. I assume the tank was moved when you aquired it from him? This can stress the inhabitants and it could take some time (many months in some cases) for the clownfish to rehost. There's not a lot you can do other than patience and keep the environment stable. Good luck.