PDA

View Full Version : AquaC Nano Remora Mods?

OCDP
07-31-2008, 06:59 PM
Hey there,

I was wondering, can the AquaC Nano's be modded like the regular AquaC's? I was thinking of putting an MJ1200 instead of the 900 on my Nano.. I suppose I could just hook one up and see if it works or not, but would rather save the cash on the 1200 if it won't work.

Thanks,

OCDP
08-06-2008, 06:30 PM
bump

Okguy
08-06-2008, 06:42 PM
I can't speak for the Nano, but I put a Mag 5 pump on my Remora and it works great. I have to keep the collection cup at its highest level but the quality and quantity of skimmate blew me away.

Another thing you can try to improve performance is to use a surface skimmer like this one here

http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/product-info.php?product_ID=hg-fzskim

If the nano can handle the increased flow and you hooked up one of these to a MJ 1200 you might get some really good results.

HTH

OCDP
08-06-2008, 07:09 PM
It seems like it could work.. I can always use a spare MJ1200 too, but I am cheap right now.

If you've got a Mag 5 going on a regular, I'd *assume* a MJ1200 could be feasible on a Nano... oh how I wish I had a 1200 kicking around... the 900 seems to get the job done, but a 1200 I could see kicking this thing into gear real good.

OCDP
08-25-2008, 02:54 PM
Update to thread: I put an MJ1200 on the nano, and my results were as expected. More skimmate! :D No problems at all, I just have to set the collection cup high. I am getting real dark nasty skimmate.

The one thing I find about AquaC`s though, is the skimmer necks suck. Once a slight algae film covers the neck, I find the foam becomes less frothy and thick, and becomes more like wattery bubbles. Still works like a champ so far though.

Two thumbs up for more skimmate !

nastynate
09-12-2008, 02:49 AM
i just did this very same mod to my nano remora today! my LFS sold me the nano for my 29g reef tank, thought i was buying the regular remora rated for 75g, not the nano rated for 25g :P

anyway i figured the nano and the remora are basically the same unit, the remora being 4 inches taller and using the MJ1200 being the only real differences. also, rather than pay the 30 or 40 bucks it is gonna cost for the surface skimming 'attachment', my LFS guy suggested i try a few cents on an elbow fitting and manipulate the actual pump intake in order to get the same effect. so now the pump is hooked to an elbow -> nano remora, and the pump intake is using one of the extended baskets. tip of the basket is pointing up, and the tip is just *barely* over my water line. if i accidentally top off too much it is submerged. very close.... and viola! surface skimming! pump doesn't suck any air, but you might have to play with the position a little bit. it seemed to work well just below the waterline also, provides a nice vortex effect. i have only had it running for most of today but it seems to be working great

nastynate
09-12-2008, 03:00 AM
doh! part of the whole reason i posted all that was to ask if you have been using the 'paper towel mod' (if you can really call it a mod) on your nano to muffle the noise? if so do you think it affected the amount / quality of your skimmate?

karazy
09-12-2008, 03:07 AM
hmm... im getting an urchin for my 29 gallon, i might add on the mag5

Okguy
09-12-2008, 03:38 AM
doh! part of the whole reason i posted all that was to ask if you have been using the 'paper towel mod' (if you can really call it a mod) on your nano to muffle the noise? if so do you think it affected the amount / quality of your skimmate?

The 'paper towel mod' works really well and doesn't affect the skimmate, but if I were you I would skip this mod and go straight to this one here:

http://www.aquariumpros.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=25389

Works even better and you don't have to replace the paper towel every week.

Cheers,

Kevin

nastynate
09-12-2008, 03:51 AM
wow... i feel pretty stupid for not thinking of that, just like the elbow fitting idea to make it into a cheap surface skimmer :)

thanks for that, way better than a paper towel hehe

the MJ1200 is 295 gph, what is the significant difference between it and the mag3? anyone wanna try a mag3 on the nano? will it explode?? :)

OCDP
09-12-2008, 05:08 AM
I use the paper towel 'mod' with great success. It doesn't hinder my skimmer performance at all and reduces the noise significantly. I have had the paper towel in there for about 2+ weeks and have no need to change it, as its still serving me well.

The MJ1200 on the nano was a wise investment, as it pulls out lots of skimmate and it doesn't let up.

My only complaint with the remora's, and this may be a problem for most skimmers I am not sure (I've only used Remora's) but when the skimmer neck is coated with slime/algae, I find I get very wet foam as opposed to the nice dry, frothy, thick foam I get when it's clean. Either way, I am very pleased with the MJ1200 mod.