PDA

View Full Version : Lighting Question

reefy
07-31-2008, 12:06 AM
I am currently using 2 x 400watts MH for my 90 Gallon reef and I realized that my monti and some of acropora are not in very good condition except my staghorn they are doing great. so my question is, is my light too bright for them?

P.S water parameter is in perfect condition.
PH 8.3 during lights on and 8.15 during lights off.
Calcium:420, Nitrate:5 Dkh:9 Temperature:chilled on 77F.

thanks in advance

a4twenty
07-31-2008, 02:10 AM
as long as they were acclimated properly i don't think you should have any problems with the 400W lights. how much flow do you have? how much and what types of coral do you have? any chance another coral is to close? are you running carbon? any other params you can list?

maybe post a pic of the corals, its a lot easier when we can see it.

Marlin65
07-31-2008, 04:57 AM
You know they say not as we are not even close to simulating the sun, but I have had some pieces try to bleach on me. I have a cats paw and I have tried bringing it up from the btm of the tank and every time I try it starts to bleach.
My Monti's are growing like crazy and are doing great though.
My corals are all almost 6" from the top so close to the light, and my parameters are excellent as well.

sphelps
07-31-2008, 01:55 PM
What kind of bulbs are you using?

What kind of Salt are you using?

Are you experiencing any STN from the base of the corals?

reefy
07-31-2008, 05:55 PM
as long as they were acclimated properly i don't think you should have any problems with the 400W lights. how much flow do you have? how much and what types of coral do you have? any chance another coral is to close? are you running carbon? any other params you can list?

maybe post a pic of the corals, its a lot easier when we can see it.

ahh I am currently using one seio1100 just took the other one out (I was using 2) cuz I realized that is too much flow for a 90gallon I only have about 5 SPS coral for the moment, digitata(looks lik its bleaching out), purple staghorn( looking great), 2 acropora sp(not doing well) and 2 cap(looking ok).

I am using Seachem reef salt. for the bulb I have one 20K and one 14K (I like the 20K more but it looks dimmer)

sphelps
07-31-2008, 06:59 PM
Well it's pretty hard to call this one, however unless your bulbs are old I don't believe it's light related, well it's defiantly not too much light. It's possible your spectrum is lacking but most likely not the problem.

I would have to say it's more likely water chemistry, your nitrates could be lower and although I don't have much experience with Seachem salt I would bet it's not the best for SPS and may be missing or have low amounts of certain essential elements. Others may have more experience with that salt.

I also had problems in the past with certain corals showing STN and signs of bleaching, at first I thought it was light related but it turned out to be the salt I was using. Switching to a higher quality salt was like day and night.

What's your water change schedule like? and what are you using for equipment?

a4twenty
07-31-2008, 07:52 PM
ahh I am currently using one seio1100 just took the other one out (I was using 2) cuz I realized that is too much flow for a 90gallon

why do you feel that is to much flow?

most would say a 40x turn over rate ( 90G = 3600 gph ) is a minimum for keeping SPS. my tank is a 120 ( 6" wider than a standard 90 ) and i have 5220 gph ( 43.5x turn over ) and it doesn't look like there is to much flow.

as pointed out above water quality is very important and so is lighting and flow, i would double check all your params and increase your flow, to start.

sphelps
07-31-2008, 08:58 PM
Agreed, having 5 SPS requires just as much tank flow as 20. I have 130 gallon which runs A dart closed loop and a dart return as well as a nano-stream 6055 and I still find myself short on flow. Not saying that's the problem but it's something to think about. SPS corals can usually handle one type of stress but it's the combinations that really show effects. Basically you may be looking at multiple causes.

reefy
07-31-2008, 11:12 PM
well what happend is that just took them out cuz I thought that causes my acropora to streess. I thought it had too much flow because my soft coral were swerving like crazy and my sand were flying everywhere eventhough I face my power throw the surface. one more question; How far can I face the powerhead directly to the coral? do they do well if I face it towards them?
sorry for all these question I am new in SPSs.
thanks in advance.

Jason McK
07-31-2008, 11:36 PM
It's possible your soft corals are fighting with chemicals causing your SPS to die.

When you say they are not doing well. What exactly is the problem?

20K lighting depending on your Ballast and the bulb type my not be enough light. Same with the 14K. PAR ratings on these high K lights can change drematically based on the ballast.

J

reefy
08-01-2008, 07:30 AM
It's possible your soft corals are fighting with chemicals causing your SPS to die.

When you say they are not doing well. What exactly is the problem?

20K lighting depending on your Ballast and the bulb type my not be enough light. Same with the 14K. PAR ratings on these high K lights can change drematically based on the ballast.

J

acroporas' tentacles used to be longer and the tip starting to bleach out, currently I am using 400 watts hamilton ballast and 14k bulb and the other one is 400 watt PFO with xm 20k bulb they are both 3 months old bulbs.

a4twenty
08-01-2008, 09:30 PM
I thought it had too much flow because my soft coral were swerving like crazy

that is why i asked

how much and what types of coral do you have? any chance another coral is to close? are you running carbon?

so are you running any carbon??

it is a lot tougher to keep a tank with both SPS and softies and i think running carbon is a must in these tanks.

albert_dao
08-01-2008, 09:41 PM
You can also allow your kH to drop to 7.0 - 8.0. That's closer to NSW levels.

What are your other water parameters? Mg, K+, etc?

i have crabs
08-01-2008, 09:45 PM
1 1100 seems like a very low amount of flow in a 90g my tank is 48x24x28 so just a bit bigger than an average 90 and im in the 8000-9000gph range of flow and it seems to be just right for my needs.
if the softies are blowing all over the place what kind of flow is coming from your return? and mabey its just the placement of either the corals or the powerhead

Jason McK
08-01-2008, 10:28 PM
I'm going to guess it is your bulbs. Acro's need more intense lighting. XM 20Ks are poor performers when it comes to PAR.

J

reefy
08-03-2008, 05:52 AM
just add my other powerhead tonight:smile: but I realized that my pendants are only 5-6inches above the water and all my sps pretty much only 12inches under my pendants; isnt it too close to the pendant? how far do you guys usually have yours? thanks for helping out guys:wink:

reefy
08-03-2008, 05:54 AM
[QUOTE=a4twenty;337570]that is why i asked

so are you running any carbon??

yes I am running carbon.