PDA

View Full Version : Back at it.

OCDP
07-30-2008, 08:53 PM
Hey Canreefers,

I just wanted to share my venture back into saltwater. I picked up a 20g complete setup last night, and after lots of scrubbing, cleaning, and hauling, I finished up by ohhh, 3am! It was tons of fun, though.

The setup is as follows:

- 20g Tank w/ black stand.
- Coralife 130w PC's
- Coralife Super Skimmer (this thing is huge, I think I have the 65g rated skimmer, or perhaps larger, but I am not 100% sure, either way, it's a beast!)
- Seio 820
- Koralia Powerhead (not sure which model, but it has some power to it)

The livestock :

- 2 Tank Bred Ocellaris
- Coral Beauty

- Frogspawn
- Kenya Tree
- Finger Coral (or at least that's what I think it is..)
- Purple Mushrooms
- A beautiful neon green BTA
- Zoos/Paly's

The tank is BB, and I must say, after only one day I love the BB. Looks better, and I can actually see where detritus collects so it's easy to remove. A great move for me..

Everything has settled in and is doing better than I had expected (for being out of the hobby for over a year) All the fish are doing well, eating, grazing, and the corals are looking awesome as well. The BTA settled in with no problems.. so I was fairly proud of myself for a successful start-up. Hopefully everything stays and maintains well.

Pics to come!

Delphinus
07-30-2008, 08:55 PM
Welcome back Scott.. :)

OCDP
07-31-2008, 02:30 PM
Thanks Tony. It feels good to be back.

On a side note.. does anyone know if coralife super skimmers are very touchy?
It seems that when I try to "dial" mine in, it is extremely sensitive. I have almost flooded the cup a few times. That would not make for a nice mess to clean up (plus the stench) But it seems if I keep it at a safe setting, where the foam just reaches the top of the spout, I don't produce much skimmate. But if I turn the dial just a hair.. flood city.

I am thinking of trying to trade it for a Remora.. so if anyone's interested let me know. It's a large model, I think the 65g rated model.

Cheers

Pier Pressure
07-31-2008, 03:18 PM
I have heard Coralifes can be touchy but have never had one.

So is it alright to keep dwarf angels (I think that is what the Coral Beauty is) in a 20 gallon tank? I never got one for my 28 gallon because I thought it was to small for them but I am not an expert by any means - please enlighten me.

Delphinus
07-31-2008, 03:27 PM
They are very touchy. And very sensitive to water level fluctuations.

I run mine in a sump, that way I don't have to worry about overflows. I can't imagine trying to run one of these as an actual hang-on like it's intended... I'd have had far too many floods on the floor.

I think it's a judgment call with the angels. I have two small flame angels in a 20g. They will eventually outgrow it, but until that day, or until they start showing aggression with one another (I'm kind of hoping they'll form a pair, but who knows), they seem to be fine for the time being. They are really small though, like 2" in size, that's a big factor.

OCDP
07-31-2008, 03:28 PM
I have heard Coralifes can be touchy but have never had one.

So is it alright to keep dwarf angels (I think that is what the Coral Beauty is) in a 20 gallon tank? I never got one for my 28 gallon because I thought it was to small for them but I am not an expert by any means - please enlighten me.

No, it's probably not alright for this angel to be in the 20g permanently. This was a complete setup I purchased so the angel came with the package. Once he outgrows the tank, it will be time to go. As for now, he is still small and looks very content in the tank.

Pier Pressure
07-31-2008, 03:34 PM
Thanks for letting me know. Now I will not rush out and buy a dwarf angel on the way home tonight!

Chowder
07-31-2008, 03:39 PM
On the Coralife Skimmer I agree with what Tony said. They are really touchy. They can overflow any time there is a water fluctuation. I myself have had three small floods from them. Luckily I was home when it started. If you do use it as a hang on it is best used on the sump with a auto or some kind of top off system to kepp he water fluctuatoins at a minimal. Also after every water change you should readjust it and check them frequently. They are best used as a in sump skimmer.

Chris

OCDP
07-31-2008, 03:49 PM
On the Coralife Skimmer I agree with what Tony said. They are really touchy. They can overflow any time there is a water fluctuation. I myself have had three small floods from them. Luckily I was home when it started. If you do use it as a hang on it is best used on the sump with a auto or some kind of top off system to kepp he water fluctuatoins at a minimal. Also after every water change you should readjust it and check them frequently. They are best used as a in sump skimmer.

Chris

Thanks for your input guys. I don't think this is the right skimmer for me. I will be worrying far too much about it. It is extremely touchy, and not very user friendly. I really liked using the Remora.

I am going to post it up for sale/trade here I think. Too much to risk when it's being used as HOB it sounds like.