PDA

View Full Version : Timers

Jaws
07-30-2008, 06:25 PM
I was just wondering what everyone would recommend for a relatively inexpensive timer that could run two ballasts running a total of 4 T5's, a Mag 3, and two Tunze 6060's that I'd like to alternate being on for one or two hours at a time. Thanks for your help.

martinshaver
07-30-2008, 06:50 PM
I use the heavy duty intermatic grounded timers from Canadian Tire myself.

spreerider
07-30-2008, 06:52 PM
A standard Cdn Tire Digi Timer is rated at 1500W so you should be fine with the load you have.

Jaws
07-30-2008, 08:11 PM
I was hoping for something like a Natural Wave timer that can control everything at once but at different times. Is there such a thing?

http://www.mops.ca/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/products/WMAS-NW1000.htm?L+scstore+szpm9727ff1e131e+1217451076

The problem with the wave timer is its set to alternate every 20 seconds to three minutes.

spreerider
07-31-2008, 03:18 AM
im working on building my own, its using a 160input/output PLC and about 15 contactors, it will also connect to my computer so that i can program any device in my tank or around it to do exactly what i want,
as soon as i can get the programming cable i will start a DIY thread about it.

Jaws
08-01-2008, 10:53 PM
That sounds pretty cool. Wanna build one for me :) $$$

mike31154
08-01-2008, 11:29 PM
I use an Aqualight Digital Power Center by Coralife. It's a power bar with 8 outlets rated for 1875 watts. One bank of 4 outlets is always on and the second bank is on an 'alternate' on/off cycle. These are color coded yellow (daytime) - blue (nighttime) and whenever one set is ON the other set is OFF as determined by your settings of the digital timer. The power bar can be used either as a wavemaker or lighting timer. In your case, you'd want to control the Tunzes with it meaning you would need a separate timer for your lights. You'd also need to stretch the timing longer than 2 hours since the timer has a maximum of 7 cycles you can set. These cost anywhere from 30 to 60 dollars depending on where you get them.
Can Tire or most home improvement stores should have Noma digital timers for around $10 (model RCT100). These have 20 programmable cycles but only one outlet. You'd need one of these for each Tunze and set each one up independently to get the 2 hour cycle you're looking for... and a third/fourth to run the lights/Mag 3.

spreerider
08-02-2008, 01:43 AM
i use the noma ones now and just plug a power bar into them to control more than one device.

Jaws we will have to see how mine works out first then i may put them into production depending on the prices i can get all the components for and labour times.

mike31154
08-02-2008, 06:08 AM
i use the noma ones now and just plug a power bar into them to control more than one device.

Jaws we will have to see how mine works out first then i may put them into production depending on the prices i can get all the components for and labour times.

Great idea with the power bar hooked to the Noma timer. If I understand correctly he'd like the Tunzes to run on a 2 hour alternating cycle. I'm not sure what he uses the Mag 3 for but I don't think he'd want his lights cycling off and on every 2 hours, that's why I mentioned he'd need more than one Noma timer to run the equipment he listed. I've often wondered why someone hasn't come up with a cost effective interface with associated software to use with a computer. Lots of controllers out there these days, but most are proprietary, costly and designed to work only with one particular company's hardware. It will be interesting to see how your system develops spreerider. I understand what a contactor is, but what's a "160 output/input PLC"??

spreerider
08-02-2008, 08:31 PM
a PLC is a Programmable Logic Controller, its like a small computer that you can program via a regular computer and have it take inputs from any source and then output to any source, the ones i have are 24VDC or 120VAC - 208Vac - 250VAC
PLCs are used in all factories and such to control the machinery, the ones i have access to are older units but 160 inputs and 160 outputs should be enough for any sized fish tank. It is also possible to piggyback 8 of these units together and have them operate as one large one but it really slows their decision making down alot, and greatly reduces the amount of programming steps that can be used.