PDA

View Full Version : Bristle Worms

Seriak
03-31-2003, 04:41 PM
Alright this is a two part question.

1) Is there such a thing as too many bristle worms. My refugium is crawling with them. I mean they don't even hide anymore. They just cover every piece of sand algae and rock.

2) Can a bristle worm get too large and feed on other things in your tank. A cleaner shrimp has dissapeared in the last few days and I don't have any predators so it is either water quality (Which seems to be fine) or maybe a rogue bristleworm. I know I have too very large worms in my 90g. One has got to be over a foot when extended and another approaching that size. They come out when I feed mysis or silversides to the tank.

Bob I
03-31-2003, 04:53 PM
This is not an answer, but more of a question. My 20 gallon Mini Reef is also polluted with Bristleworms. I am wondering if one could introduce something to keep a more natural balance, as I don't think I need that many. Maybe get a Bristleworm trap to remove some? :confused: :eek:

http://www.crazypics.de/smilies_froehlich/froehlich042.gif

Seriak
03-31-2003, 05:00 PM
I have heard that arrow crabs eat bristle worms. But then you have a problem if you get the arrow crab and it eats your fan worms and feather dusters as well or maybe even a fish. Also you can build a small trap using a glass and a piece of tubing large enough for a bristle worm to fit down.

If you don't feed your tank for a while and make the buggers really hungry they will usually go after the food you put inside the glass. However, you may catch other things as well.

But still need an answer to my question.

AJ_77
03-31-2003, 06:56 PM
Alright this is a two part question.

1) Is there such a thing as too many bristle worms. My refugium is crawling with them. I mean they don't even hide anymore. They just cover every piece of sand algae and rock.
Well, that sure sounds like too many. Is your concern that they will overwhelm other critters and then crash their own population?

2) Can a bristle worm get too large and feed on other things in your tank. A cleaner shrimp has dissapeared in the last few days and I don't have any predators so it is either water quality (Which seems to be fine) or maybe a rogue bristleworm. I know I have too very large worms in my 90g. One has got to be over a foot when extended and another approaching that size. They come out when I feed mysis or silversides to the tank.
We've heard here of cleaner shrimp decimating bristle worm numbers, but not the opposite. Brad has a few huge ones, and he just said to Bob that his cleaners cleaned out the worms - perhaps he meant they ate all the smaller ones only, leaving no more to reach mega-worm proportions?

I'd give your shrimp another day or so to show up, could be hiding (post-molt). It would be a bugger of a rogue worm to eat a healthy cleaner shrimp. :eek:

Aquattro
03-31-2003, 07:01 PM
I don't think a worm would eat a shrimp. The shrimp probably molted and is hiding until it's shell hardens.
And yes, the shrimps only ate the small bite sized worms, not the giant ones. Also, I don't think the average 1/2 inch bristle worm grows to 6 feet. I think the big ones are different species.