PDA

View Full Version : dragonet HELP PLEASE

golden69_ca
03-31-2003, 08:35 AM
every thing was fine in the tank today nothing out of the norm . went out to the store when i cam back my lights were of ,normal so i set up my red light to check on the tank when i noticed my green dragonet sitting on a rock not moving or breathing with no color at all .in a mad panick i got a container and put him in it when i touched him he started to breath heavely and a slight color came back . i put hime in my 20gal isolation tank does this fish loses it color when it sleeps ? any help would be apreceated . he has been eating fine lots of natural food for him .

Beverly
03-31-2003, 12:32 PM
every thing was fine in the tank today nothing out of the norm . went out to the store when i cam back my lights were of ,normal so i set up my red light to check on the tank when i noticed my green dragonet sitting on a rock not moving or breathing with no color at all .in a mad panick i got a container and put him in it when i touched him he started to breath heavely and a slight color came back . i put hime in my 20gal isolation tank does this fish loses it color when it sleeps ? any help would be apreceated . he has been eating fine lots of natural food for him .

Our mandarin dragonet used to lose its colour while sleeping. First time we saw it that way it wasn't moving and we thought it was sick or dead too. Shining a light on it for a period of time helped the colour come back a bit. We learned, though, that lost colour while sleeping is usual and no cause for alarm.

Delphinus
03-31-2003, 03:16 PM
Many fish subdue or pale out at night ...

Seriak
03-31-2003, 03:49 PM
I noticed the exact same thing with mine.

You probably freaked the poor thing out when you disturbed him.

"Hey, man I am trying to get some freakin' rest here. I don't wake you up when you are trying to sleep. Time to plug the overflow and return the favour."

Bob I
03-31-2003, 03:51 PM
Why would a person be looking into a tank at night with a flashlight? I think I would not be happy if someone did that to me. You may consider this a flame. The word knucklehead comes to mind.:snipersm: :2gunfire: :silly:

Quinn
03-31-2003, 03:59 PM
i think people do that so they can look at their night critters? pod-o-vision.

Beverly
03-31-2003, 04:05 PM
Why would a person be looking into a tank at night with a flashlight? I think I would not be happy if someone did that to me. You may consider this a flame. The word knucklehead comes to mind.:snipersm: :2gunfire: :silly:

:lol: It's more of an event if you have TWO flashlights going :lol:

But seriously, then you can see some of the hitchhikers that came in on your rock or corals. Some critters only come out at night and it's good to have an idea what little surprises you've got in your reef, like the mantis shrimp or commensal shrimp or whatever it is we found last night in our acropora.

Definitely, night viewing with a flashlight of the reef is a must :smile:

Seriak
03-31-2003, 04:09 PM
Hey I have looked into my tank from day 1 with a flashlight. It becomes a whole new world after lights out. It's the ever changing diversity that keeps me addicted to this wonderfully expensive hobby.

Aquattro
03-31-2003, 04:21 PM
Yup, I peek in with a flashlight at least once a week!!

Bob I
03-31-2003, 04:35 PM
Okay, so I have to admit being a knucklehead too, because to ask this question I have to admit using a flashlight. I do avoid shining it on the fish, however, because I think that is dumb (my opinion)

The question is this; I have two tanks side by side, and when I shone my light in, I noticed one tank is full of Bristleworms, but I saw none in the other. The only difference is that one tank has a couple of Cleaner Shrimp, the other not. I am wondering if the shrimp snack on the worms?

Does anyone know?

Aquattro
03-31-2003, 05:10 PM
Bob, cleaner shrimp love bristleworms. They cleaned my tank out!!!

Delphinus
03-31-2003, 05:59 PM
Completely off topic, but, last night I fed my BTA's some chopped prawn, I had loads extra so I gave a piece to two of my cleaners (apparently, shrimp taste great even to themselves). Anyways, one of them was smart, and went to a corner up the glass to eat his treat. The other stayed on the rock. Well of course within about 5 minutes he had about 12 worms pulling on his "prize." Of course to a shrimp because he has several legs as well as a set of claws, participating in a tug of war while simultaneously eating the tug of war item, is possible, but he did eventually lose (the prawn disappeared into a hole in the rock). So I'm sure this guy is now thinking like your guys shrimps (Bob and Brad), those pesky worms stole his food! (Now there's a twist, a cleaner having HIS food stolen from HIM.). LOL :lol:

(PS. I gave him another piece.... :biggrin:)

golden69_ca
04-01-2003, 03:29 AM
thanx for the advice . today at work i think i was on the phone more than working trying to figure it out and it was just him sleeping i was told that a lot of diferent fishes fade color when night comes suposible realy noticable in tangs. he is all colored up today happy as ever hopfuly i did not **** him off to bad with the fresh water dip and iodine bath last night .
when i look in the tank at night i use a 11watt red lamp that is not to strong i hope . thanx for all your help everyone . :biggrin:

Bob I
04-01-2003, 03:54 AM
Bob, cleaner shrimp love bristleworms. They cleaned my tank out!!!

If you did not mean that as a joke, it would explain the lack of Bristleworms in that tank, and the large size of the shrimp. :onfire:

Aquattro
04-01-2003, 05:16 AM
No Bob, I did not mean it as a joke. I have watched the shrimp pull bristleworms from the rock and eat them. I was not happy about it. At this point, I cannot find a single worm in my tank.

BCOrchidGuy
04-01-2003, 05:36 AM
Cleaners and Peppermints love bristle worms.. and prawns... My cleaners will take prawns etc out of the mouth of coral, and anemones... greedy buggers...

Bob I
04-01-2003, 02:56 PM
It appears we have hijacked this thread it might be worthwhile to start another. I will do that. :cool: