PDA

View Full Version : Adding more MHs

coldincanada
03-02-2002, 01:15 PM
I currently have a 72 gal sps/clam tank with one 400W 65K and 3 110W VHO Actinics. I also have an old double 175W MH setup from a previous system that I am not currently using. I was thinking of adding them to my current system as well but I'm not sure about which bulbs to run. Even with the 3 VHO's I'm running I still find the tank looks a little yellow, so I am leaning toward higher K bulbs. My question is which ones do I get? I'm thinking 12k or 14k. Also what about the manufacturer Ushio, starburst, german or what? Is one better than the other? Does anyone have any experience with these bulbs?
Thanks,

cic

Seaquest
03-02-2002, 01:33 PM
Hi CIC

I run the Sunburst 12000K bulbs on my tanks as we speak, and I have noticed a better growth rate and polyp extension increase. I was useing the German 10.000k but found they were just not enough to produce the growth rate I required for propigation purposes. Some aquarist have now even gone higher in the kelvin rateing becasue of such results. I choose my bulbs for there ability to increase coral growth and longivety, not because they make your tank look bright and crisp, but as a hobbyist, most are useing the 10.000k bulbs.

Cheers

SeaQuest

Toronto

Doug
03-02-2002, 02:11 PM
I agree with your thoughts on the 12K bulbs, but your post on growth rate by using a higher temp bulb is 180 degrees from those results by other aquarists.

I have decent growth rate & much better colours, but I would think running an Iwasaki or my Venture 55K, would produce more growth than the 12K, all in 400 watt, by the way.

Your thoughts?

[ 02 March 2002, 16:14: Message edited by: Doug ]

Seaquest
03-02-2002, 06:51 PM
The various light-using species can only utilize certain wavelengths/frequencies of light; notably in the orange-short red and "higher" blue parts of the spectrum, not the green and yellow that our eyes most appreciate 5000 to 5500K bulbs. What does this mean? If optimizing health/growth of aquatic life is your goal, you want to provide energy of the needed/useful wavelengths. Other spectra may be desirable for appearance sake; others (UV and IR) can be innocuous to hazardous to you, your system and your livestock. Thus the quality of light is vital.

SeaQuest

BA MSC

Bryan
03-02-2002, 08:27 PM
Yes, but from what I have read, the Iwasaki bulbs produce more light in the "Higher" ends of the spectrum per wattage when compared to higher Kelvin bulbs, you just can't see it because it's overpowered by the shorter wavelenght color's that the bulb emits.

-=Bryan=-

Originally posted by Seaquest:
notably in the orange-short red and "higher" blue parts of the spectrum, not the green and yellow that our eyes most appreciate 5000 to 5500K bulbs. What does this mean?

SeaQuest

BA MSC<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

Seaquest
03-03-2002, 02:21 AM
Bryan

That is not true, and lets keep in mind that the iwasaki bulb is nothing more than an industrial warehouse bulb that was developed over seas, it just happened to have a 6500K rateing and was not designed for aquarium use, but was slowly intraduced because of its original cheap cost.

StirCrazy
03-03-2002, 02:51 AM
Originally posted by Seaquest:
the iwasaki bulb is nothing more than an industrial warehouse bulb that was developed over seas, it just happened to have a 6500K rateing and was not designed for aquarium use, but was slowly intraduced because of its original cheap cost.<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">the Iwasaki was actualy developed as a conversion bulbs for plant and flower growers.
when growing flowers people were using Mercury Vapour lamps which are very low K (3000K avrage)
which stimulates fast and lush growth but not flowering. now normaly you would then get higher K MH lights and put them up to induce flowering but that was very costly.
By using the MH conversion bulb you didn't have to buy new ballast which made the process alot cheeper.
The iwasaki's do put out more par watt for watt than any other mogual style MH bulb the only ones that seam to beat them are the HQI bulbs. any this has been showen in various test

as showen in the marine fish 2002 annual, the PPFD (photosynthetic Photo Flux Density of the 250 watt iwasaki "r" @ a distance of 18" was 130, the non "R" was 124. In the 400 watt 10000K and 12000K bulbs the results were: ALS sunburst 66.84, Osram 90.6, and Blueline 71.60.
now the bulb that did beat the iwasaki was a 150 watt double ended HQI it was a acualine 10000K with a reflector and it came out to 246. sence this was using a reflector you could probably add 50 to 75% to the iwasaki's results to get a better comparason as the Iwasaki test was with out a reflector.

so as you can see the Iwasaki is a bulb that was created to promote photosynithisis (*sp*) and not to light a wharehouse.

I don't know if this is just useless information or not, but I hope it isn't.

Steve

Doug
03-03-2002, 10:48 AM
Seaquest, recent articles, would disagree 100% with you, and agree 100% with Bryan. These are just my observations, so please dont take it the wrong way. I love these posts, as I experiment with all kinds of lighting.

With my 400 watt 12K, I must use supplemental lighting. Its not enough alone & very dim. I am currently running a single 400 over the center and a pair of 40 watt 65K normal output bulbs on each side. Before I moved, I used a 175 watt 10K halide on each side.

But a 400 watt 55K or 65K alone in the center pendant, can supply sufficient light to the reef.

I dont think the 12K alone would provide enough light, unless its not a visable light, as you seem to be saying.

[ 03 March 2002, 06:50: Message edited by: Doug ]

Seaquest
03-03-2002, 11:04 PM
What we are after is light intensity.

stephane
03-03-2002, 11:21 PM
seaquwest i tink you should read a litle more about iwasaki bulb

they are not made for aquarium but they are one of the best lamps on the market for coral grow give them the right ballast and enought actnic and they are looking very very very good. those bulb and actualy the 250 watt is IMO the best money value you could buy

saki is a daylight lamps and daylight are just as
near as the sun

and bryan is just right saki have a lot more blue and purple than any other 10k mogul lamps

and like doug said i just dont want to made any flame here only want to help people :D