PDA

View Full Version : Need others opinions

fishoholic
07-28-2008, 02:28 PM
Hi, I was thinking that sometime in the future (not right away, maybe around Christmas time) I would like to set up a FOWLR tank for my angelfish. I was originally thinking of a 180g. I already have a 6" blueface angel, 6" queen angel, 4" emperor angel, and a 2" coral beauty. I know I want to add a majestic angel and a flame angel. Possibly a goldflake angel.

Now I'm wondering if a 180g would be big enough, what do you think? The plan is to get another tank for my angels because I think they are a bit crowded in my 230g with all my tangs. The reason I was thinking a 180g and not another 230g is because I can't reach the bottom of my 230g tank. Any comments would be great, thanks Laurie.

sphelps
07-28-2008, 02:48 PM
You could use the extra hieght for the fish only tank, I don't think you'll be reaching to the bottom very often. With all those angel fish I would consider even bigger but at least go with the 230 gal.

naesco
07-28-2008, 03:45 PM
The answer to your question is what is the recommended minimum tank size requirements for keeping the large angelfish species.

Everyone knows that tangs require a minimum 6 foot long tank to accommmodate their swimming habits but until recently I did not know that a very large tank was required by the large angels. To the best of my recollection it was 250 gallons.

There was an article in the last 8 months in reefkeeping.com or advancedaquarist.com setting out the reasons for large tank requirements for angelfish but I don't have the time to search it for you at this time.

naesco
07-28-2008, 04:15 PM
I have now found the article and the recommendation is 250 to 300 gallons.
The article is in two parts. Here is the link to part 1 which deals with amongst other things, minimum tank size for large species angelfish
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2008/1/fish#h3

Thanks
Wayne

SeaHorse_Fanatic
07-28-2008, 06:30 PM
Yes, the bigger the better, if you can afford it. I have both reef & fowlr tanks. I am constantly having to pick up stuff off the bottom of my reef systems. Almost never in my fowlr. Height won't be nearly the issue (wet armpits) for a fowlr comared to what you're used to with your reef.

Anthony

Hangfire
07-28-2008, 06:58 PM
I'm curious after reading the articles linked here - but it appears from the articles that the tank requirements are for one fish. At least that's how I read them. Am I wrong? I'm in the process of setting up a 280 gallon tank at work and I know that the boss is going to want a large display fish for the tank. I was thinking of an angle.

sphelps
07-28-2008, 06:59 PM
The only problem involved here is the fact that 230 is the biggest standard. Larger tanks have to be custom made which is very expensive.

naesco
07-29-2008, 02:19 AM
I'm curious after reading the articles linked here - but it appears from the articles that the tank requirements are for one fish. At least that's how I read them. Am I wrong? I'm in the process of setting up a 280 gallon tank at work and I know that the boss is going to want a large display fish for the tank. I was thinking of an angle.

Yes I think you wrong.
The article suggest 3 or so juveniles in a 250 tank and let them grow up together.
Again, you will have to read the whole article and choose the best ones suitable for a tank that size.

sphelps. If someone can afford a large tank, a custom won't break the bank.

fishoholic
07-31-2008, 03:36 PM
Thanks everyone for your responses. I'll have to keep my eye on the buy/sell section and hope a large tank becomes available for a good price :biggrin:

sphelps
07-31-2008, 03:45 PM
sphelps. If someone can afford a large tank, a custom won't break the bank.

Well I'm not exactly sure what this means, but all I was trying to put out there is that you can get a standard 230gal with metal stand new for $1000 or less, price out something like a 300 gallon and you're likely looking at double (at least) plus the delivery would be longer. However I have seen used larger tanks sell quite cheap.

fishoholic
08-01-2008, 03:33 PM
Well I'm not exactly sure what this means, but all I was trying to put out there is that you can get a standard 230gal with metal stand new for $1000 or less, price out something like a 300 gallon and you're likely looking at double (at least) plus the delivery would be longer. However I have seen used larger tanks sell quite cheap.

I'm hoping for a large cheap used one, that's the kind I can afford :mrgreen: As for delivery; 6 friends, flat bed truck, beer and pizza all around! This worked well for us when we moved our 230g. As long as we space it far enough from the last move maybe they wont remember what a PITA it was and will help again :razz: