PDA

View Full Version : 2.5 Gallon AIO w/ 18 watt Current USA Fixture

superduperwesman
07-25-2008, 04:14 AM
Just getting rolling but here are a few pics...

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m141/superduperwesman/IMG_0829.jpg

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m141/superduperwesman/IMG_0830.jpg

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m141/superduperwesman/IMG_0831.jpg

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m141/superduperwesman/IMG_0832.jpg

karazy
07-25-2008, 04:17 AM
aww its so cute and small. what are you plannign on putting in this tank?

superduperwesman
07-25-2008, 04:18 AM
As you can see I have a few temp issues right now mostly because of the house temp but I'm just trying to figure worst case right now. But when I have a fan on or the ac on it seems to be ok.

superduperwesman
07-25-2008, 04:21 AM
Mostly just zoas maybe some frogspawn some candycane, clove polyps, yellow polyps. Maybe a small clown goby not totally sure yet just trying to get everything sorted with heat and evap so I can make sure everything stays stable

sphelps
07-25-2008, 02:09 PM
You could try and work in a nano chiller (http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_AquariumPage~PageAlias~chillers_coolworks_icepr obe.html)

Whatigot
07-25-2008, 05:08 PM
or just throw a fan on it and dial in a auto top off, you can even diy a drip one for really cheap (same principles as the diy kalkwasser drip).
did you glue some rock to the back of your tank there?

superduperwesman
07-25-2008, 06:30 PM
Yeah to direct the flow from the outlet up it was tossing all the sand around. Yeah I'm thinking I'll do an ATO and wire in some computer fans. That chiller is cool but it'll be hanging out the back of my tank almost the same width as my display lil to big still... not that a fan will work better but it is cheaper.. and I guess it might look a bit better

sphelps
07-25-2008, 07:12 PM
Ideally you would drill the back of the tank for that chiller, that way you wouldn't even know it's there unless you enjoy looking behind the tank. Plus it's only $50, you'll spend more on an ATO and different fans and adapters trying to find a quiet combination.

Whatigot
07-25-2008, 07:45 PM
gotta disagree with you.
a diy ato like I mentioned would cost about 5$.
a fan for a tank that small would not be over 15$ from any computer hardware store...

sphelps
07-25-2008, 08:40 PM
I guess it depends on how you define ATO, I wouldn't consider trying to dial in a drip rate to top off a 2.5 gallon tank. I wouldn't even consider that automatic.

superduperwesman
07-25-2008, 09:47 PM
It was only $50? See I was confused I thought just the controller was $50 and I couldn't see how much the fan and such was. I wonder how much shipping is.

But would the glass on the 2.5 be able to handle it hanging off the back? And the temp is only that hot on really hot days and with no fan.

I think I have a few different fans and 6v and 9v plugs so I might give the computer fan a try. Eventually I'd like to bring it to work (which has ac) but not till I get my own office which could be a little while ahah

spreerider
07-25-2008, 10:05 PM
check out silenx fans on NCIX.com they are very quiet i have used many of them in near silent computers that i build. For their size and air movement they are the quietest fans available.

sphelps
07-25-2008, 10:13 PM
The glass could handle it but it would be difficult to drill such thin glass, but I could do it :biggrin:
The nice thing about the chiller is that it simplifies things, using it would allow you to completely seal off the tank and eliminate the need for an ATO, which no matter what will just be an eyesore on such a small tank. Same with running fans, where would they go??

However before you get too carried away $50 only covers the actual chiller unit, ideally you would still want a controller as well to efficiently control your temp.

mseepman
07-26-2008, 12:24 AM
The glass could handle it but it would be difficult to drill such thin glass, but I could do it :biggrin:
The nice thing about the chiller is that it simplifies things, using it would allow you to completely seal off the tank and eliminate the need for an ATO, which no matter what will just be an eyesore on such a small tank. Same with running fans, where would they go??

However before you get too carried away $50 only covers the actual chiller unit, ideally you would still want a controller as well to efficiently control your temp.

Unfortunately, that unit is actually around $135 and the controller is $50. Marine Depot wasn't listing the price on the page you linked to...so it seemed cheap. OA sells it...for $180 combined plus tax.

sphelps
07-26-2008, 01:24 AM
Yeah my bad. $50 did seem really cheap which expalins why I pushed this idea. Still $180 controlled isn't too bad. Come on Wes, you big engineer, splurge a little ;)

Whatigot
07-31-2008, 08:42 PM
drip it in.
some people are afraid of the simple stuff, but I have kept nanos ( I have a 5 gallon running for 3 months now with a diy drip) successfully with this system and its not that hard to dial it in.

if you wanna spend 200 bucks, you will have something nice and easy, if you wanna save some $ and put in a very little legwork, try the drip.

it will cost you 10 bucks MAX to build, and that isn't much to take ac hance on something you might find works excellent.

superduperwesman
08-01-2008, 09:56 PM
will the glass top evap is hardly a concern and with a small desk fan behind it it stays cool so i think thats how I'll leave it for now. I don't think I'll even bother with an ATO even at the office I don't think enough will evap over the weekend.

How do people fell about the rock work it's a little tight to the glass in a few spots but I ordered a nimble nano magnet today

superduperwesman
08-14-2008, 05:06 AM
yeah put some corals in this week

JDigital
08-17-2008, 03:12 AM
yeah put some corals in this week

Pics!! :lol:

superduperwesman
08-18-2008, 10:19 PM
Pics!! :lol:

I'll try to post some tonight

superduperwesman
08-19-2008, 05:20 AM
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r227/wea747/IMG_0860.jpg

Nothing too special but it has only been up for a few weeks. The plate coral is not looking super hot but hopefully he'll get better.

Hoping to get some more corals this weekend.

Water changes are super easy. I just mix up 2 liters (20%) in a container put in in the microwave for 60 seconds and it is ready to be swapped in.

I'll post some pics of the chamber when I have a chance.

Current stock.

Candy Cane
Pavona < I think sp?
Orange Plate Coral
2 Bumblebee snails
2 Blue leg hermits
Yellow Clown Goby
Clown fish from Hawaii

Boomboy
08-19-2008, 11:59 PM
lets just hope that people over at nano reef dont see this, because everyone over there would be flipping out about how even a single fish in there and you have 2, your crazy. i wouldnt do it. but let us know if they live for longer than 5 months.

superduperwesman
08-20-2008, 03:16 AM
Yeah he shouldn't be in there more than a month unless I have major problems getting my other tank set up but once I do he wont have to move far...

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m141/superduperwesman/IMG_0833.jpg

And I've had some comments on nanoreef.. I know it's not best but I am planning for it to only be a short while

Boomboy
08-20-2008, 10:11 PM
i must say, its really cute, if i had a desk job i would have a set up like that, i saw one at a petstore, its was around 7 gallons, but long and short, perfect for zoas and mushrooms. looks good.

karazy
08-23-2008, 01:10 AM
i didnt know there was clownfish in hawaii...

i thought that the clownfish larval stage is too short for them to be able to make it to hawaii

superduperwesman
08-25-2008, 09:52 PM
Thats what I was told...?

Anyone?