PDA

View Full Version : My reef needs help.

Pro Fish Keeper
03-30-2003, 08:11 PM
I want a natural reef tank with corals rock and fish. I want to start a 90 g. I plan on having Soft corals, maby some flame scloups, stonies, some types of brain and semi hard corals. As well as the usual mushrooms polups. So far im going with 2 VHO actinics(110 w each), 4 PC's at 96 w(if i can find a store that carriers them). Im going 4 inch sand bed. Lots of rock and maby a sump for my protien and uv. I was also told i could put live rock and clurapura in the sump as another biological filter. Im going to have 4-6 maxijet 1200's( i dont know were to get them). Some one told me of a store in Burnaby that sells filters and power heads all the mechanical stuf cheep( i cant remember the name. If anyone knows id appriceate it). I want to build a reef that thrives but i dont have a ton of money. I have a 55 g reef im trying to sell right know. So i have some experence.What do you think i would need to change in order for my reef to thrive, fish live and i can have all the corals i listed?

Quinn
03-30-2003, 08:30 PM
you might be thinking of J&L Aquatics, they're in coquitlam, a lot of us buy from them. http://www.jlaquatics.com

dunno how many people are running UV sterilizers on here... i gather they're not really considered an essential.

i don't know if that's enough VHO for stonies, maybe someone can pipe up and confirm for you.

Troy F
03-30-2003, 08:37 PM
Nothing wrong with adding UV if you have one. That lighting you mentioned is more than adequate for what you've mentioned. Flame scallops are filter feeders and tend to not do well in the long haul, along the lines of the big Hawaiian feather duster worms. There's a link to J&Ls site on the side bar under Retailers.

BTW is a semi-hard coral one that is just mildly aroused? :eek:

EmilyB
03-30-2003, 09:47 PM
http://www.crazypics.de/smilies_teufel/teufel016.gif

BCOrchidGuy
03-31-2003, 12:10 AM
Cheapest place in Burnaby to buy stuff is almost always King Ed Pets, Kingsway and Edmonds, but do shop around sometimes J&L will be cheaper....

That being said, remember, cheaper isn't always better....

christyf5
03-31-2003, 10:11 PM
Oh Troy, you so bad http://smilies.crowd9.com/contrib/blackeye/lol.gif

Stirfry
04-01-2003, 04:16 AM
EDIT: This post has been edited by the Canreef Administration.

I have no problem with people expressing personal views on the board but the above post is exactly what got the people from Compuserve's Fishnet sued.

Doug, lighten up, I'm sure your stock options won't drop :cool:

BCOrchidGuy
04-01-2003, 05:17 AM
Stirfry that is irresponsible, FIRST Yes they do acclimate their fish properly, maybe not when you are there but hey, most of their fish come in after store hours so they can acclimate them.

I've bought many fish from them with out any problems.

Eric knows more than you can fathom, Robert the fellow who runs the Marine room is as smart as a whip and he WONT sell you fish you can't keep. He also wont sell you CBBs if you have a reef, unless you are really determined

Posts like that don't do anyone any good, perhaps you have had a bad experience with them, thats fine try saying ... In my experience.... or.. maybe just say, I've heard.... but to make a blanket statement like that is just irresponsible.

Doug.

Van down by the river
06-18-2003, 09:17 AM
Didn't you just make a blanket statement to the positive?

I'm not trying to spark a flame war I just believe a compliment is worthless unless you have the freedom to criticize or evaluate both ends of the spectrum. People will always name names when somebody does something right, but if someone or a store does something wrong all of the sudden they lose their name and become LFS.... I don't condone slander, rudeness, belligerence, or suggest focusing on the negative, but at the same time if the store can't stand the heat......well you know.

Besides some stores have worked hard and earned their stripes and deserve their good rep and other stores still have work to do. One of the reasons people come here is to get good advice from fellow aquarists.(although I think some come here to practise terrible spelling :rolleyes: )
I believe posts should include both side of the fence.