PDA

View Full Version : Need help with tank plumbing (first time)

baker_jeff
07-24-2008, 05:54 PM
Alright folks. My stand is finally ready, so I am starting to work on the plubing. It is a 30 gallon display, with a 20 gallon sump.

I have a MaxiJet 1200 as a return pump. The sump is about 20-25 inches below the display. Will this be powerful enough to pump water back up? Should the powerhead be below in the sump or up high near the display?

For my return line and drains, is 1/2" PVC pipe large enough? I have it on hand so it would be more convinient.

I will post more questions as they come along.

Thank you for your input!

Jeff

mseepman
07-24-2008, 06:47 PM
Jeff,

I can't claim to be an expert in the plumbing side of a tank, though I have done mine and plan to do another shortly.

First of all, your return pump needs to be in the sump, preferably at the bottom or close to it so that if you should find the return chamber low on water, you have the most time available before the pump burns itself out. I'm not sure if that pump has enough gumption for what you want it to do with it so someone else will have to chime in on this.

You haven't mentioned how your sump will be designed...do you have a sketch or picture? Note that all your evaporation will occur in the return chamber (where the return pump is) so make sure it is large enough. Do you have baffles to reduce the bubbles? All of these things will affect your plumbing.

As for the size of your return plumbing, there are calculators on RC and even Aquariumpros that will help you with this.

I hope this gives you a start...keep asking questions and someone here will usually always help.

baker_jeff
07-24-2008, 07:08 PM
I was just going to have the 20 gallon plain and open to use as a refugian/frag tank. I've never played with a sump system before, I'm not sure what is necessary and what is not...

Nevin
07-24-2008, 07:35 PM
Your maxijet will push about 50GPH, turning over the water in your sump 2.5 times per hour, which is not much. 1/2" PVC can easily handle that much flow. You will need to add additional flow in both your display and sump (if used as a frag tank). It would probably be more efficient to use a bigger return pump (300GPH+) to contribute to your flow rather than extra powerheads which will generate a lot of heat.

Regards,
Nevin

baker_jeff
07-24-2008, 08:19 PM
Your maxijet will push about 50GPH, turning over the water in your sump 2.5 times per hour, which is not much. 1/2" PVC can easily handle that much flow. You will need to add additional flow in both your display and sump (if used as a frag tank). It would probably be more efficient to use a bigger return pump (300GPH+) to contribute to your flow rather than extra powerheads which will generate a lot of heat.

Regards,
Nevin

Noted.

There won't be any frags or life in the sump for a long while, so I will just stick with this setup for the time being if you say it is good. I have an extra powerhead for the display tank.

brandy
07-24-2008, 08:49 PM
Noted.

There won't be any frags or life in the sump for a long while, so I will just stick with this setup for the time being if you say it is good. I have an extra powerhead for the display tank.

I am not expert in this neither, infact, I was done my first ever one (170+40sump) all DIY learned from those helpful people in those boards. Something I I point out from my design:
- I dont like the "hard pipes (those hard PVC) 'cause the bends, corners will reduce the flow rate
- With strong enough return pumps, you can slit the outputs and eliminate the powerheads in display tank, which make it look much nicer and more rooms.
-The displace tank I desgned myself that the drain lines are also the mech. filters them selves with easy access for changing the media.
Offcause, everyone has a dif. thinking. I might get some where not right... who know.
Welcome to the "newbiie club with me... heheh..

albert_dao
07-24-2008, 10:23 PM
Propellar style powerheads will add a lot less heat to a tank than a large return pump. That said, you still might want to consider something beefier as a return pump. Maxijets SUCK with headpressure.

Also, if you use a larger diameter pipe, there will be less friction as the water travels the length of the pipe. This translates into increased flow rates and less wear on the pump.