PDA

View Full Version : Fuzzy Red "Algae" and Stiff Grasslike Red "Algae"

JDigital
07-24-2008, 05:39 PM
What is this stuff? and should I get rid of it. The fuzzy stuff in the first pic doesn't really spread through out the tank it just gets thicker on the one rock its on. The Stiff grasslike stuff does appear to be spreading in the tank.

Any ideas?

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y174/Beyondca/IMG_0020.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y174/Beyondca/IMG_0021.jpg

christyf5
07-24-2008, 07:34 PM
While both are pretty, they can become a plague in the tank. I believe red mexican turbo snails will get rid of the first. Not sure about the second, it looks kind of crusty and I'm not sure if snails/a tang would eat it.

spreerider
07-24-2008, 07:38 PM
interesting looking anyways, wouldent mind it in my sump...

JDigital
07-24-2008, 08:26 PM
While both are pretty, they can become a plague in the tank. I believe red mexican turbo snails will get rid of the first. Not sure about the second, it looks kind of crusty and I'm not sure if snails/a tang would eat it.

I was told a tang might eat the second, but unfortunately I can not afford to add one to my tank right now. I will have to see if any shops in calgary have red mexican snails.. I do like the look, but I do not want it taking over my tank..

EDIT: I had also thought about pulling the few rocks that this stuff is on and scrubbing it with a toothbrush... but I am worried about loosing any other beneficial living things.

RSM
07-24-2008, 08:31 PM
I have this stuff as well, and it grows quickly if left alone. The first stuff comes off with a siphon, and the otherstuff (red looking hair algae) I used a nail brush to scrub it off the live rock. I used a bucket to clean it in with some tank water and wow what a difference. I hope it doesnt grow back. Its hard to get all of it off.

fencer
07-24-2008, 08:35 PM
I have the first stuff. It is more of a nusiance than a problem. I can easly pick the stuff off with tweezers.

JDigital
07-24-2008, 08:35 PM
I have this stuff as well, and it grows quickly if left alone. The first stuff comes off with a siphon, and the otherstuff (red looking hair algae) I used a nail brush to scrub it off the live rock. I used a bucket to clean it in with some tank water and wow what a difference. I hope it doesnt grow back. Its hard to get all of it off.

I have tried the syphon this on the first stuff, and it must be locked into the rock pretty good, because it won't come off even if I scrape at it with the syphon tube.. haha.. The 2nd stuck I might have another member coming to take some of it.. Otherwise, I am gonna cave and scrub it..

RSM
07-25-2008, 12:21 AM
I have not had a problem with the syphon... huh? Maby it needs a good scrubbing too. Good Luck.

levi1803
07-25-2008, 01:07 AM
I had the same stuff that is in the second picture (the hard grasslike stuff) on some live rock that I got when I 1st set up my tank, then I got a turbo snail and he cleaned about 3inch x 5 inch area within a week, it's never came back, don't know if it was a fluke or what but he sure seemed to like it a lot.

JDigital
07-26-2008, 03:11 AM
I had the same stuff that is in the second picture (the hard grasslike stuff) on some live rock that I got when I 1st set up my tank, then I got a turbo snail and he cleaned about 3inch x 5 inch area within a week, it's never came back, don't know if it was a fluke or what but he sure seemed to like it a lot.

hmm Thanks.. I will keep that option in mind.. :smile:

lastlight
07-26-2008, 04:22 AM
The second type is the reason i left the hobby my first and last time. Nothing I did could stop it and it was basically embedded deep in all my rock. I plan to pay closer attention to nutrients and phosphates when I return tho. Good luck.

Aquattro
07-26-2008, 06:12 AM
as mentioned, Mexican Turbos will eat the first, and if you're lucky, a tang will eat the second. My old yellow tang loved the stuff.

fortheloveofcrabs
07-26-2008, 03:28 PM
I had a LOT of the second stuff in my tank. I was bad, and I let it get out of control… Anyways, I had to take the rocks out of the tank, spend an afternoon and rip what I could off. I bought a yellow tang last week that seems to be picking at remains of it so I have very high hopes.

All my salt water tanks have had macro problems – the stuff just grows like weeds and from what I’ve found, consistently, to be the best way to get rid of it is slow, painstaking manual removal. I guess it’s just part of the territory.

Happy hunting! :)