PDA

View Full Version : Curing live rock

martym
07-23-2008, 10:26 PM
How many do it (cure rock that is) in total darkness?
Do you do the complete cure in darkenss, or just the first few days?

SeaHorse_Fanatic
07-24-2008, 05:15 AM
I think if you are trying to kill off stuff on the rock, then curing in the dark works better than with a light. (especially nuisance algae).

I cured large amounts in the dark in barrels or coolers. I cured small amounts in my sump, since there was 200lbs of cured LR & over 230g of water, so I wasn't too worried about adding a few lbs of uncured LR into the system.

Anthony

Whatigot
07-24-2008, 02:12 PM
I've done both, and in my moderate (especially compared to anthony) experience I was much more satisfied with the rock that I put a 4 to 6 hour light cycle on as long I was really careful to clean anything off that was dead or looked like it would die before I put it in the "cooker".
I only say this because I am a huge fan of the surprises that come in on fresh live rock and if I can help them out, why not.

Definitely much easier to just do it in the dark and I can't imagine the curing process would offer more bacteria either way.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
07-24-2008, 05:58 PM
With really nice LR, I cure in the light. With ones that have hair algae or other problems, I cure in the dark.

I too like to see what cool organisms ppo out of the rock when I get it, so unless there is a problem with the rock, they are usually kept in a lit tank or sump.