PDA

View Full Version : Sand or Fluval?

Pro Fish Keeper
03-30-2003, 03:43 AM
Im about to start a 90 g reef tank. I hope to have tons corals and live rock. A good sized reef. I have some experence. I was told that sand beds will (in the long run) create the natural effect. Everyone I have talked to so far said their corals and fish thrived in the sand tank. Using about 300-400 w of lights 30-60 pounds of rock 4-6 maxijet 1200's, maby a sump, with a uv and protien skimmer. With maby 4 inches of live sand. I like sand better then crushed coral. Im just wondering which is more effective,if i still need to mechanicaly filter my tank and which is easyer.

BCOrchidGuy
03-30-2003, 04:00 AM
I would go with the live rock, as much as you can get, and the deep sand bed. Don't use crushed coral, use aragonite, it is a great substrate.

I built a bunch of small supports for my rock out of PVC pipe, I just cut it into premeasured lengths and then stood it on end and placed my rock on it. Then I added my sand, I figure this way my shrimp etc can move freely under the rock with out knocking it all over.

Give your tank a good period of time for the rock to cure and the sand bed to establish. Slowly add some inverts, snails, blue legged hermits if you want them. Just do it slow... slow... slow.. learn from my mistakes.

Pro Fish Keeper
03-30-2003, 04:46 AM
You mean have the pipe on the glass bottom and come up through the sand to support the rock 1-2 centimeters off the ground?

Quinn
03-30-2003, 04:50 AM
responded to this topic in the Newbie Creation forum :cool: