PDA

View Full Version : Need Help ID Please help me ID these. Thanks

brandy
07-22-2008, 02:42 AM
Hi:
I am new at this. I recently setting up a new 200G system with mostly DIY. It's been about about 3 months now with only LR and LS in there. When bought LR, there were some coral (if they really are?!?) on them.
Anyone can help me ID these "guys" here in the pictures. Thank you in advance.

In the img_025, the green "flower things were actually purple tubes and grow those green when light on. What are those, also, the white skiny long hair in the pic, what are they, are they bad?
In the img_029, the thing look like the tree, my bro told me it's Tanja tree, I am not sure, but just wonder are they ok or a bad "coral" so I can get rid of them if bad. One thing about them, they are grow quite quick even my tank is NEW and not "cycle" yet (that's the reason I didnot put any live stock in yet). Also, if you can notice, there's a "musroom" between the "tree" I wonder what it is and is it bad?

Thanks...

Der_Iron_Chef
07-22-2008, 02:50 AM
Firstly, welcome to Canreef :)

The coral in the first picture looks like Green Star Polyps (Briareum sp). They grow very quickly and for this reason, some people don't like them. I'm not sure what the stringy things are--could be various things (digitate hydroid [sort of not too bad] or Vermetid Snails [generally considered reef safe, but can multiply and become pesty).

The coral in the second picture looks like Kenya Tree (Capnella sp.) and is reef safe. Again, though, it can grow very quickly and drop little "buds" around the tank, so you'll suddenly find them sprouting up everywhere! That's fine if you like them.

I can't make out what the "mushroom" type coral is.

brandy
07-22-2008, 03:05 AM
Wow!
That's was fast and very helpful. Thanks...
Yeah, I kindda like the tree, but the green stuff, I might "feed them some hot water (I was told) to control it "violation"..
Again, thanks...
Oh, lately, I also found some shrimp-like thing but very small and most looks like clear color, some look a little brown... (Sorry, I tried to take some pic but they are too fast for me to do that. (-:

I think I'll leave my take for another 2 months before putting Live stocks in.

lulu
07-22-2008, 03:22 AM
Those are nice.

Matt
07-22-2008, 03:56 AM
Wow!
That's was fast and very helpful. Thanks...
Yeah, I kindda like the tree, but the green stuff, I might "feed them some hot water (I was told) to control it "violation"..
Again, thanks...
Oh, lately, I also found some shrimp-like thing but very small and most looks like clear color, some look a little brown... (Sorry, I tried to take some pic but they are too fast for me to do that. (-:

I think I'll leave my take for another 2 months before putting Live stocks in.Little brown shrimpthings are likely amphipods -- all goodness. Green star polyps are pretty easy to control manually (they peel off pretty easily), and add a lot of colour. I hate to think of them being boiled.

christyf5
07-22-2008, 04:09 AM
The stringy things in the first pic are a type of sponge. Likely they'll disappear at some point depending on how your water quality is. Sometimes they can be a bit of a plague.

The second thing in between the two clumps of kenya tree looks like a yellow mushroom leather to me. Thats good :biggrin:

Oh and welcome to Canreef :biggrin:

brandy
07-22-2008, 04:08 PM
Hello...
Thanks Matt, I'll take your advice as to peel off at some point.
And Christyf5, thanks for id those.
So, all together, my tank upto this point is kindda "OK" with no much of those "pests" thing, LOL...

Thanks again everyone, for your helps.

BL