PDA

View Full Version : Starting a reef tank

Orion
03-29-2003, 11:24 PM
Hi,

I am looking to set up a reef tank in the 70 gallon range. I would like to piece together a system on a budget. If anyone has spares that would help or a complete system for sale please feel free to contact me.I basically need tank,lights,rock and skimmer. Tank and rock would get me going at this point though.I don't really need a stand as I can make my own.

Thanks, Brian

Buccaneer
03-30-2003, 05:14 AM
For a reef you are gonna need lights too so goto Lite Brite in the NE and pick up a Workhorse7 Electronic Ballast ( $55.00 and you can run 3 power compacts ) this will at least get you started with some shrooms and such.

Look in the bargain finder for a tank the size you want and just phone around and make a offer you can afford ... somebody will bite eventually :)

For sand there is a sandblasting place south of Glenmore on Barlow that has sand blasting sand ( quartz ) for like 13 bucks for 100 lbs ( I know everybody says get aragonite but it does not actually buffer till your PH is so low everything is dead lol ) ... even Dr Ron says use whatever as it will populate with critters when you add live rock

As for pumps & live rock J&L is prolly the cheapest ( even after shipping ) ... I got a bunch of Fiji from them awile back and it was awesome with purple coraline growth !

HTH

Cheers

Rasta

PS ... almost forgot ... build yourself a Beckett skimmer ... you wont regret it ... just finished a dual beckett for my system and only need to use one beckett ... works that good

Quinn
03-30-2003, 05:26 AM
he's in bc! :lol:

Buccaneer
03-30-2003, 05:28 AM
he's in bc! :lol:

Oops hehehe ... he can still goto his local buy&sell tho for a tank ... sure they have sandblasting companies there and J&L wont be as far to ship from :lol:
Cheers

Rasta

Orion
03-30-2003, 06:44 AM
Thanks for the input Rasta. I have been checking the buy and sell and have managed to pick up a few things including a 20 gallon tank, which may eventually become my quarantine , as well as some crushed coral and a small hunk of live rock to get things started.

Brian

Quinn
03-30-2003, 07:01 AM
i think it's r_wellwood who's got a berlin classic for sale. good choice of skimmer for your water volume.

one warning i will give you though: i originally wanted to do my tank for $500 or less. i've spent $2000 so far and still have to spend almost $1000 on live rock, and only then can i start thinking about livestock. when i started, people told me if you're on a tight budget, you'll want to think hard before you jump into the hobby, and they were very much correct. of course it's well worth the money, from what i can tell :smile:

Orion
03-30-2003, 07:25 AM
I am waiting to hear back about the Berlin classic. I am also going to look at another used skimmer tomorrow made by precision marine.It's there HOT model.If I buy that then I will still need tank,rock and lights among other things. I might even pick up some fish at some point! Would love to have some corals as well as they can be quite beautiful. Yes, I have been warned about the expense involved which is why I am looking used. Just having a good time right now learning about all the options available. Looks like a great hobby.

Brian

Bob I
03-30-2003, 04:02 PM
PS ... almost forgot ... build yourself a Beckett skimmer ... you wont regret it ... just finished a dual beckett for my system and only need to use one beckett ... works that good

At this point of time you have no need for expensive toys. When you get your stuff together, and are up and running, you may consider a skimmer. For now the important things are the live rock, and a dsb. That is my opinion, and it works for me. :rolleyes:

Buccaneer
04-02-2003, 05:35 AM

At this point of time you have no need for expensive toys. When you get your stuff together, and are up and running, you may consider a skimmer. For now the important things are the live rock, and a dsb. That is my opinion, and it works for me. :rolleyes:

Dude ... it IS only a opinion ... how do you know he cant afford it ? :rolleyes:

You pick out a PS at the bottom of the post to critique so you can say the same thing as I said above ?

laterz