PDA

View Full Version : 25 gallon reef

karazy
07-22-2008, 12:16 AM
okay, well since im doing this, might as well make a journal for it.

okay, so i am making a 29 gallon reef tank with a 20 gallon sump/refugium. just as a heads up, this thread will probably go quite slow as i am only 13 so it is hard to get money for everything i need all at one time, i am working on getting a job though, so who knows.

so anyway, so far all i have is a 29 gallon with a dark blue painted on backround, a hagen GLO series T5HO lighting setup with one atinic bulb and one spectrum, and also an Eshops overflow box.

my main coral idea is softies. like zoanthus, leather finger coral, mushrooms, ect.

my next step is probably making my stand. so look for that coming soon

a pic of the tank as is(without overflow box)

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/karazy101/069.jpg

karazy
07-23-2008, 10:54 PM
well today i got started on the stand with my dad. srry, didnt get any pics.
my dad isnt exactly the bets person with a circular saw, but he pretty good, so we will ahve to see how it turns out

karazy
07-27-2008, 05:09 AM
well im almost done the stand. i stained it today but i dont like the stain color, its too light, so i will get something darker.

sorry, i didnt get any pics of building, me and my dad were working to hard to take pics:wink:

Boomboy
07-27-2008, 05:15 AM
well keep it up and us posted. i started with a 20G, got to start somewhere, keep it simple to start dont spend to much money, cause it can add up fast. cant wait to see it with some water in it.

karazy
07-27-2008, 05:25 AM
thanx for the comment :)

yeah, im not gonna go like total money overload on this, but i still want to have some good equipment as i suspect this tank will be set up for atleast 3 years

o, my stocking plan is:
fish
-1 atlantic pygmy angel
-1 randalls goby
-1 undecided. im thinking of a firefish. anyone got any suggestions
reef
(this is just rough)
-lots of zoas
-star polyps
-mushrooms
-ricordea(sp?)
-chili coral
anyone have any suggestions for basicaly low lighting but good looking beginer corals?
CUC/inverts
(also rough)
-scarlet cleaner shrimp
-6-10 hermits
-10-15 snails(not sure what kind)

karazy
07-27-2008, 09:45 PM
ok, well i stained it the right color but i guess i just needed a teeny bit more of a wait for varnish, so theres some light spots on the doors:(.. hopefully it wont look too bad...

JDigital
08-03-2008, 03:51 AM
Anymore pics? :lol:

Sounds like u got it all planned out tho.. I am gonna be starting a 23G SPS Dominated Nano here shortly.. Depending on your lighting, you may be able to have a few SPS high up in the tank..

karazy
08-03-2008, 04:05 AM
i'll try to get some pics monday
dont think so. its only a 2x24 watt T5HO, not very high. i prefer LPS anyways, even though there are some cool SPS.

ok, so stocking list is change to this
fish
-1 atlantic pygmy angel
-2 misbarred black occelaris
-1 goby. still not sure what kind

if i cant get misbared occ. ill get normal.

also does anyone have an suggestions on the goby? i like the yashia and the randalls goby. i also like gobies that sift sand in here mouths, but most of them get too big for my tank.
im going to red coral tomorow for my first time so maybe i will get some inspiration there

SATELLITE
08-03-2008, 12:56 PM
yellow head sleeper goby. are nice

karazy
08-03-2008, 04:45 PM
i think a yellow headed sleeper goby would need a bigger tank. i really like the yashias so i will look into them more

Ian
08-04-2008, 03:53 AM
iLove my yellow watchman goby in my 29 gallon sifts sand and is interesting to watch with the pistol shrimp

karazy
08-05-2008, 11:26 PM
okay, so finaly stand pics.
i just realised last night that i am stupid and miss calculated my sump/stand size. im thinking it will end up in the consiquence of having to get a custom sump made. anywho, heres the pics:

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/karazy101/001-2.jpg

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/karazy101/006-1.jpg

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/karazy101/008.jpg

karazy
09-14-2008, 09:21 PM
so i order my custom sump today,
from elite aquatics.
shud be bout 2 weeks says colby, so i will keep you guys updated

oh, and just a lil note, when i was at elite today they had a magnificent frogspawn that was almost see through.
shud be snatched up pretty quick

karazy
10-06-2008, 03:24 AM
SUMP!

i got it this weekend and its awesome.
good quality too.
and it fits like a glove

(its backwards in these pics)
pics:
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/karazy101/003-8.jpg

in stand:
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/karazy101/007-4.jpg

hangs out the back on a wood block for easy plumbing:
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/karazy101/010-3.jpg

that all for now

fishytime
10-06-2008, 04:29 PM
Wont be long now bud. You getting excited yet?

karazy
10-06-2008, 10:05 PM
lol, ive been exited since december.

but yes, very exited indeed. i cant wait to make my big order form J&L. it'll be my last purchase for one item over 150 bucks basicaly(other than LR )

EDIT: ordered refractomer, skimmer, and an aqualift pump from J&L tonite. can't wait to get it

karazy
10-13-2008, 05:22 PM
okay so everything arrived in mint condition and it all looks great.

thats the good news.

the bad news is that im kinda thinking my overflowbox was a waste of money.
from what i've heard getting the tank drilled would be a way better option. now i just gotta call riverfrotn and ask if my tank is tempered or not because i bought it from there and it didnt say...

EDIT:i just called and they said it probably isn't, but they have no way to tell. so right now im thinkign about just getting an AGA and not risking it.
stupid mistakes= money in this hobby i guess

OH, and i did a really bad paint job, what's the best way to get the paint off?

JDigital
10-13-2008, 06:16 PM
okay so everything arrived in mint condition and it all looks great.

thats the good news.

the bad news is that im kinda thinking my overflowbox was a waste of money.
from what i've heard getting the tank drilled would be a way better option. now i just gotta call riverfrotn and ask if my tank is tempered or not because i bought it from there and it didnt say...

EDIT:i just called and they said it probably isn't, but they have no way to tell. so right now im thinkign about just getting an AGA and not risking it.
stupid mistakes= money in this hobby i guess

OH, and i did a really bad paint job, what's the best way to get the paint off?

The bottom panel might be tempered, but fairly good odds that the viewing panels aren't... I'd try drilling before you go buy another tank..

Paint thinner/remover should work for the paint...

karazy
10-14-2008, 12:03 AM
personaly i would rather just go get an AGA and not risk it, mostly because thats just the way i am, and also because the one i bought isnt in the best shape either, so i'd rather just start from scratch

now i gotta decide if i want my backround dark blue or black. any suggestions?

BlueAbyss
10-17-2008, 08:50 AM
now i gotta decide if i want my backround dark blue or black. any suggestions?

Just an opinion, but I seem to like a black background on the photos of tanks I've seen. The coral-reef backing that comes on rolls in the LFS can look good too, if the tank has enough interesting things to look at that draw the eye away from the bright colours in the background.

This is just an opinion, however. I'm leaving my tank clear when I set it up, but that's just because part of it sticks out past the wall that it will sit against.

karazy
11-14-2008, 03:29 AM
hehehe, great news.

So mommy decided its too much of a hassle to buy water jugs for drinking,
so guess who got a brand new 3 stage RO filter professionally installed today:twised:

it seems like a good enough unit, and we got it plumbed so that the bad water just goes back into our system,
so green point for me :lol:

its under our kitchen sink with a 5 gallon canister thing
and it has one of those R/O taps, so its 1 less floor to go up with :biggrin:

question time:
ok, so i was thinking i could just make enough buckets of R/O water to last the month and then make it saltwater on water change day. would i need to keep the RO water aerated?

JDigital
11-14-2008, 03:50 AM
Definitely keep it aerated if you plan to keep it in pails for a month.

karazy
11-14-2008, 03:52 AM
ok, then i think i might just get a brute for the basement and put a big ol koralia in it.

o, and also, what size PVC do you think i should plumb with? i was thinking 1"

also, what size hole would i need drilled for that and what size bulkhead?

karazy
11-20-2008, 11:47 PM
bump..

o,and just a little sneek peek, i might be getting a RK2 controller for christmas :biggrin:

that would put me back a little, but hey, if your gonna start something, why not start it right?:lol:

oh, and does anyone know the dimensions of the RK2 (just the controller part itself, not the cables or power block ect)

karazy
12-04-2008, 03:23 AM
AAAARGH!!!!

stupid bell mobile is trying to charge me 270 bucks for texts i didn't send :mad:

this is gonna set me back quite a bit

damn you bell!

:snipersm::2gunfire: bell

karazy
12-27-2008, 07:17 AM
I have enough for my RK2 and a pinpoint ph probe for it!
will get ordered very soon
pics when it arives

Rbacchiega
12-27-2008, 07:26 AM
seems like you're moving along quickly, which is good.

Are you looking at drilling it yourself or getting someone else to do it? I'd imagine if you talk to bow valley or the like you can just say what size bulkheads you want and they'll drill to fit. For my smaller tanks I usually go with 1.5" drain and a 1" return line...you could go herbie system too now that I think of it...

karazy
12-27-2008, 07:31 AM
yeah, im am going with the herbie. i guess if im getting it drilled by experienced...drillers they should know

Rbacchiega
12-27-2008, 07:34 AM
for sure. I'd still go with 1.5" drains and 1" returns. Since your thinking of LPS/sofites, you'd only really NEED two returns...cross them with lock-line or the like in the tank.

karazy
12-27-2008, 07:39 AM
yeah, im planning on doing exactly what you said. for the return it will be 1 hole drilled and then a Y of loc-line into more loc-line

Rbacchiega
12-27-2008, 07:51 AM
if you're going to be drilling you might as well drill for 2 returns...the less lockline I see in a tank the better...then you can direct each return to a specific area in the tank

JDigital
12-27-2008, 08:01 AM
ok, then i think i might just get a brute for the basement and put a big ol koralia in it.

o, and also, what size PVC do you think i should plumb with? i was thinking 1"

also, what size hole would i need drilled for that and what size bulkhead?

1" Bulk head for 1" pipiing.. Drills bit cut slightly larger than the specified bulkheads in my experience... Done about 10-11 holes in my time

karazy
12-27-2008, 08:51 PM
if you're going to be drilling you might as well drill for 2 returns...the less lockline I see in a tank the better...then you can direct each return to a specific area in the tank

i dont really want to do 2, just because of the way i want my flow to go. my koralia will be on a JBJ ocean pulse and be on the opposite side of the loc-line, so it'll be sort of a mini wave maker

Rbacchiega
12-27-2008, 09:27 PM
well in that case! LOL Look forward to getting pics

karazy
12-27-2008, 09:32 PM
haha. i look forward to having updates to take pics of.

karazy
01-12-2009, 01:31 AM
i change my mind way too much.

so i decided i dont want my aqua-C skimmer anymore because its not as good quality than what i could have from other skimmers approximately the same price.

So i've decided i want to get a vertex skimmer. only problem is i designed my sump to hold an aqua-C urchin(only a 6.5"x14" space). so what i would have to do is remove a baffle, and move my bubble trap over. also make my return pump exteernal (which i kinda wanted to do anyways.

pros-
-great german skimmer
-bigger fuge
-external return pump

cons-
-it kinda sucks to have to take out a baffle and a bubble trap
-lots of work and hard to do IMO

if anyone has ever removed baffles, please tell me how difficult it was. it would be super appreciated.

Two steps forward, one step back:neutral:

karazy
02-19-2009, 04:07 AM
ok, so update time:

things that are new:

-I'm going skimmer less baby! atleast for now :)

-im going to have 2 return holes like randi siad earleir on in this thread (for a cleaner look)

-I'm removing 1 baffle from my sump and getting it drilled so i can have a big fuge like i want :)

-RK2's seem impossible to come by now, so i think i'll get the RKL

Finaly found a tank i want my tank to look like! (link below)

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1565773&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

i'm thinking about changin my 'scape idea to more like that tank^^^

Thats bout all for now. oh, and all you people who are lucky enough to be able to get all these awesome frags of zoas lately..

im gonna be askin for a frag eventually! :P

fishytime
02-19-2009, 12:46 PM
Have you seen her bio-cube?( DeMartini).....simply amazing. So any eta on the water for this bad boy?

karazy
02-19-2009, 01:49 PM
no i haven't seen that bio-cube.

my estimated time for water is about the end of april. I've been planning for that time for a while, and now that it's getting closer..

IM FREAKIN EXITED!

o yeah, my list of stuff to get:
-bucket of salt
-aquarium controller
-1 AGA (29 gallon)
-return pump
-tank ad sump drilled
-saltwater storage unit (one of those rubber maid garbage cans with a koralia in it :P)
-heater
-like 6 5gallon buckets

karazy
02-24-2009, 11:55 PM
okay, so here's a picture of the way i want to plumb my system. please tell me if you see/know a better way to do it:
(p.s., the random box on the floor is the return pump, and the T like thing is one of those one's that make waves sorta)
EDIT: i think i might just use a regular T. anyone think the SCWD squid would be better?

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/karazy101/plumbing.jpg

Rbacchiega
02-24-2009, 11:59 PM
are your drain lines drilled through the back as well? I can't figure out why you've got unions on your drains...maybe I'm missing something

karazy
02-25-2009, 12:02 AM
just so that if i ever have to dismantle the tank it's easy.

and yes, they are on the back

Rbacchiega
02-25-2009, 12:09 AM
Are you going to be building a small overflow box? I noticed the gate valve on the primary drain...that's so you can keep the water level higher in the tank I'd imagine...just trying to figure this out...looks like it'd work though

Rbacchiega
02-25-2009, 12:12 AM
another thing. If you're going to go with a normal T at the top there you'll want to add some ball valves on either end (at least I would) so that you can controll how much is going through each side...

karazy
02-25-2009, 02:25 AM
i am indeed building an overflow box, and the reason for the gate valve is because
im going to be using a herbie overflow for this tank.

nd the ball valves sound like a good idea

karazy
04-02-2009, 03:48 AM
well there isnt really much to update. i got my RKL for this tank and thats about it.

buuut its my birthday april ninth so that means reef=soon!

im super excited to get it up so wait for lots of updates.

Oh, and i got my first coral on hold at elite aquatics as of tonight (if it is still there):biggrin::biggrin:

karazy
04-08-2009, 03:47 AM
Well im almost there :)

thursday is my birthday so my reef she be up in about a month!

today a local reefer checked my RO water for me (thanks Jay) and its at 6ppm.
pretty good for a 3 stage made for drinking wtaer IMO :)

also my coral was at the shop so its mine now :D
I'm the proud owner of some lunar paly polyps! only about 3-4 polyps, but they are sweeet.

karazy
04-17-2009, 04:39 AM
okay, so not a big update, but i thought i'd share this with you.

basically i think i have all the money i need to get this thing up, so i just gotta start workin on it.

so heres what i wanted to show.this neat valve Colby got for me. its like a weird gate valve, and seems pretty awesome so far.

front shot:
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/karazy101/002-9.jpg

side shot:
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/karazy101/003-14.jpg

half open:
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/karazy101/004-9.jpg

fully open:
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/karazy101/005-10.jpg

new but handy
04-17-2009, 04:47 AM
hey
just fyi Koralias are supposed to be terrible on a timer. They don't turn back on after they shut off

karazy
04-17-2009, 04:51 AM
hey
just fyi Koralias are supposed to be terrible on a timer. They don't turn back on after they shut off

thanks for the tip NBH, but i already decided to try not to use any powerheads.

GreenSpottedPuffer
04-17-2009, 05:53 AM
That's a knife valve you've got there. What are you using it for?

Very nice shots of it BTW. Almost 'menacing' in the dark room with the direct light source above :D Good work ;)

karazy
04-17-2009, 05:54 AM
That's a knife valve you've got there. What are you using it for?

im using it for my herbie overflow system. its alot like a gate valve, so should work generally the same.

GreenSpottedPuffer
04-17-2009, 05:56 AM
im using it for my herbie overflow system. its alot like a gate valve, so should work generally the same.

It will be a little harder to control the slight adjustments needed for a herbie but yeah they work (I used them for the first herbie I ever tried a few years back).

karazy
04-17-2009, 05:59 AM
how did they seem to work?

slight adjustments seem like they might be kinda hard, but once i got it dialed in just right i'll make a mark so if i ever bump it wont be a pain to readjust perfectly.

also, the prices on gate valves now adays seem crazy!

GreenSpottedPuffer
04-17-2009, 06:03 AM
how did they seem to work?

slight adjustments seem like they might be kinda hard, but once i got it dialed in just right i'll make a mark so if i ever bump it wont be a pain to readjust perfectly.

also, the prices on gate valves now adays seem crazy!

It worked just fine. May take some time to get dialed in as you say but then its pretty much good to go.

You shouldn't have any problems and yes much, much cheaper.

My advice to anyone buying gate valves is to always buy the double threaded ones, so you can use them over and over on different set ups!

karazy
04-17-2009, 06:09 AM
or just get either a double union gate valve, or put on 2 unions :p

my2rotties
04-17-2009, 02:13 PM
Okay that is a VERY cool ball valve... I really thought you have gone nuts when I saw your other thread... As new as I am in the hobby, I really had no clue how one would be the other...:lol:

It was also late last night when we were talking about it.

karazy
04-18-2009, 03:31 AM
Okay that is a VERY cool ball valve... I really thought you have gone nuts when I saw your other thread... As new as I am in the hobby, I really had no clue how one would be the other...:lol:

It was also late last night when we were talking about it.

hahaha, no problems diana. yes, i love my new valve.

karazy
05-18-2009, 07:24 PM
well, big news.

I got a custom tank built:twised:

it was "under wraps" but now taht its done i'll share it with everyone.

so basically this is quite an original design (Jay at elite aquatics thought it up).
its a tank with an external overflow, but inside the overflow there's a mini fuge!
its quite a cool idea, but here's something i messed up on....

jay asked me what the dimensions of a regular 29 gallon are (so that it would fit my stand) and i told him 30x12x16... real 29 gallons are 18 inches high :lol:
but the funniest thing about it, is that it looks better IMO 2 inches shorter.

so this project is now... the 25 gallon build!

pics to come next week.

Rbacchiega
05-18-2009, 08:42 PM
woot woot!

karazy
05-18-2009, 10:30 PM
woot woot!

woot woot to you too :lol:

karazy
05-19-2009, 11:03 PM
here's a rough-ish sketchup of the tank:

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/karazy101/new29.png

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/karazy101/new292.png

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/karazy101/new293.png

karazy
05-25-2009, 02:23 AM
here's pics of the new tank:

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/karazy101/003-15.jpg

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/karazy101/006-8.jpg

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/karazy101/008-6.jpg

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/karazy101/009-5.jpg

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/karazy101/010-7.jpg

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/karazy101/012-5.jpg

GreenSpottedPuffer
05-25-2009, 03:10 AM
Looks great. How do you plan to make the back black or blue? Maybe acrylic on the inside?

Proportionally that's gotta be the largest external overflow I have ever seen. Looks like it's going to tip the tank backwards ;)

karazy
05-25-2009, 03:26 AM
Looks great. How do you plan to make the back black or blue? Maybe acrylic on the inside?

Proportionally that's gotta be the largest external overflow I have ever seen. Looks like it's going to tip the tank backwards ;)

well the back is going to be painted, and then one part of the overflow(the end chamber where the plumbing goes) will be blocked out with acrylic,
and the first 2 chambers will act as sort of a mini display (maybe for a baby mantis)

haha, it sure is one big overflow, but as long as you have the back of the overflow against the wall(with foam in between of course) it's absolutely fine.

GreenSpottedPuffer
05-25-2009, 03:31 AM
well the back is going to be painted, and then one part of the overflow(the end chamber where the plumbing goes) will be blocked out with acrylic,
and the first 2 chambers will act as sort of a mini display (maybe for a baby mantis)

haha, it sure is one big overflow, but as long as you have the back of the overflow against the wall(with foam in between of course) it's absolutely fine.

Oh I know it's fine and won't actually tip over :mrgreen: You can also support it from below if you don't want it right against the wall.

Very cool idea with the fuge.

karazy
05-25-2009, 10:05 PM
Oh I know it's fine and won't actually tip over :mrgreen: You can also support it from below if you don't want it right against the wall.

Very cool idea with the fuge.

ya. int eh place where it's at it works best that it's against the wall.

thank you for the comment on the fuge, but really, its all Jay and Colby from elite aquatics' idea. i guess i just kinda..expanded on it a little?

fishytime
05-26-2009, 01:59 AM
Tre cool:cool:

karazy
05-26-2009, 03:09 AM
Tre cool:cool:

tre thankyou

karazy
05-31-2009, 12:28 AM
well today i got some basics.

you know, salt, test kits,some maxi jets for multiple purposes..

and well, you know how it is when you have store credit..

i now have 2 2x24 hagen GLO t5ho fixtures. 4 bulbs of brightness!:twised:

fishytime
06-01-2009, 04:14 AM
well today i got some basics.

you know, salt, test kits,some maxi jets for multiple purposes..

and well, you know how it is when you have store credit..

i now have 2 2x24 hagen GLO t5ho fixtures. 4 bulbs of brightness!:twised:

If your bored check out what I did with 2 Glos and a twenty http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=31856&highlight=fishytimes+20g ...pretty basic compared to your "box"

karazy
06-02-2009, 01:49 PM
okay, so this is what i was thinking for bulbs:

(front to back)

KZ coral light new gen
KZ fiji purple
KZ coral light new gen
aqua science 22000K

any thoughts?

BlueAbyss
06-02-2009, 05:02 PM
Hmm, what sort of effect are you going for? I would expect you to get around 15K or so with that combination, and your pinks, purples, and reds should look really nice.

karazy
06-02-2009, 09:39 PM
i want a look that's not too white, but at the same time not too blue.

something that'll make the colors of the corals pop without being like pure atinic :p

fishytime
06-02-2009, 11:14 PM
okay, so this is what i was thinking for bulbs:

(front to back)

KZ coral light new gen
KZ fiji purple
KZ coral light new gen
aqua science 22000K

any thoughts?

I would consider skipping the fiji purple....it provides a great look, but the red spectrum it produces will encourage algae growth. Also think about the aqua science "special" 15000k...it out pars both ATI and KZ and with the unfortunate inadequacies of the glo reflectors, every little bit may help . I have both AS and KZ in my spread with a Giesemann aquablue+ (which is also rated at 15000k) to boot. Lined up side by side, they all look different. Go figure:biggrin:

karazy
06-03-2009, 03:48 AM
so..

aquascience special
fiji purple
aquascience special
aquascience 22000K

i know that the fiji purple promotes algae growth, but after seeing what they do on our tank at elite, i just have too:lol:

EDIT:i think that this would make more sense:

fiji purple
AS special
AS 22K
AS special

karazy
06-16-2009, 03:21 AM
Okay, so i painted the back of the tank, and i thought i'd post pics of it.

in the pics im only using 1 of my hagen GLO fixtures, and im using some old bulbs i had lying around, as im waiting for mine to come in.

sorry for the crappy pics, ive only got a point and shoot thats getting pretty outdated

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/karazy101/001-13.jpg

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/karazy101/009-6.jpg

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/karazy101/011-6.jpg

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/karazy101/012-6.jpg

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/karazy101/013-3.jpg

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/karazy101/014-2.jpg

PuffLuv
06-16-2009, 04:34 AM
It's looking real good! When do you plan to add water?

parkinsn
06-16-2009, 05:12 AM
Just a question, but why did you not make the baffle's for your fuge section a little higher? If you are going to do a herbie style overflow (which i assume you are with the 2 holes drilled) the water level will be low, defeating the purpose of a herbie, or are they there just to hold mud etc, and you will bring the water level up?

karazy
06-16-2009, 01:45 PM
Just a question, but why did you not make the baffle's for your fuge section a little higher? If you are going to do a herbie style overflow (which i assume you are with the 2 holes drilled) the water level will be low, defeating the purpose of a herbie, or are they there just to hold mud etc, and you will bring the water level up?

the reasoning for the baffles consists of:

-less bubbles
-if they weren't there the overflow box would probably fall off

dont forget i can adjust the water level with the gate valve on the herbie, and i plan to have one standpipe very short

karazy
06-16-2009, 01:46 PM
It's looking real good! When do you plan to add water?

i'm going to have it all plumbed and ready to go by the 20th of july,
so that when i get back from vacation on august 5th i can just add water,rock,and sand and start my cycle :)

karazy
06-22-2009, 03:22 AM
so a bit of an update,

i have almost all my plumbing supplies. just waiting on a valve,some vinyl tubing, and also i need to make another trip to home depot (some of the stuff i bought is wrong:redface:)

also, my step dad works at gregs industrial distributors, so he picked up some stuff for me:
-5 gallon pails
-40 feet of siphon tubing (reches from tank to toilet, plus extra)
-clip on light
-and one gigantic brute container. i think its like, 40 some gallons? its made of thicker plastic than the smaller ones too.

oh, and i found a mantis for the mini fuge!
He's only 2 cm long, and i think he might be a G.smithii, but i have to get a better look at him.
he's currently in one of the tanks at elite aquatics.
once he outgrows the back section ill set up a new tank for him.

karazy
06-25-2009, 03:38 AM
well today i did a leak test, and it went great. no leaks what so ever.
the tank was a little tiny bit off being perfectly level.
but, once the rock and sand is in the tank, it should be perfectly level.
pics:
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/karazy101/001-14.jpg

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/karazy101/002-12.jpg

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/karazy101/003-16.jpg

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/karazy101/005-13.jpg

fishytime
06-27-2009, 01:18 PM
Word of advice....get the tank level now, as I doubt very much that the 50ish lbs of rock and sand you add will shift the stand level with 300lbs of water already in the tank.

JDigital
06-27-2009, 01:42 PM
Word of advice....get the tank level now, as I doubt very much that the 50ish lbs of rock and sand you add will shift the stand level with 300lbs of water already in the tank.

+1... Shim it while you can. That way you don't have to worry about it later. You've taken your time so far, no point in taking any short cuts now.

karazy
06-27-2009, 05:22 PM
makes sense. thankfully it doesn't need much shimming, but ill have to shim it from the sides, as my sump hangs out the back of the stand on a block of wood (for easy plumbing and added water volume)

JDigital
06-27-2009, 06:37 PM
is it just the pics or did you use white silicone to attach the refuge?

karazy
06-28-2009, 01:10 AM
is it just the pics or did you use white silicone to attach the refuge?

its just the pics. its clear silicone.

karazy
07-08-2009, 09:08 PM
well i finaly have an almost exact ETA for water...

cowbell role please...

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/karazy101/Cowbell.gif

First Week Of August

if its not up by then, someone slap me.

also, i was tring to think of how to hang my lights, because with the hagen glo, the hardware it comes with for hanging doesnt allow you to adjust the height of the lights, for getting in and out of the tank.
so i jay at elite aquatics gave me the great, yet simple plan, of making a second set of loops, putting those rock climbing clips on them, and then taking the loops that are on the fixture and clipping them to the higher loops (if that makes sense :p)

here's a diagram:

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/karazy101/lightingfig1.jpg

does anybody see any flaws? does anyone know of a good way to make the second, higher up loops for the clips? does anyone know of a better idea all together?

thanks for following my thread, and i hope you guys have some good light hanging ideas :biggrin:

karazy
07-25-2009, 04:28 AM
im almost there!!!
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/karazy101/021-4.jpg

here's my little mantis's castle of doom (his name is jeynkim)

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/karazy101/016-4.jpg

and just for fun, a fish that most Calgary aquarium owners know as George

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/karazy101/014-3.jpg

BlueAbyss
07-25-2009, 06:25 AM
I get what you're saying about a loop to hook your lights to... your idea sounds functional, you could even find colored carabiners to use as your hooks.

karazy
07-25-2009, 06:51 AM
woops, i forget to update that. i ended up ordering these:

http://www.laststoplighting.com/710120.html

they rock! they make your lights totally adjustable

karazy
08-02-2009, 05:08 PM
sorry everybody that i wasn't updated when i should have bin working my butt off, but i was too busy doing this:
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/karazy101/045-5.jpg
its time to really get off my butt and get some stuff done.

Leah
08-02-2009, 05:57 PM
sorry everybody that i wasn't updated when i should have bin working my butt off, but i was too busy doing this:
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/karazy101/045-5.jpg
its time to really get off my butt and get some stuff done.
That is a great idea, ZZZZZzzzzzzz! :biggrin:

karazy
08-04-2009, 12:55 AM
got my lights hung today,
but im not exactly sure what to do with the wires...anyone got any ideas? (the power bar will be on the the side with the dresser)

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/karazy101/001-16.jpg

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/karazy101/002-14.jpg

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/karazy101/003-18.jpg

Skimmerking
08-04-2009, 01:20 AM
looks good buddy great work :wink:

karazy
08-04-2009, 01:34 AM
looks good buddy great work :wink:

thanks asmodeus! now i just gotta get water in the friggen thing xD

BlueAbyss
08-04-2009, 08:40 AM
Could you attach your power bar to the dresser? Then creating drip loops would be easy!

karazy
08-04-2009, 04:20 PM
that's a possibility.
i kinda worked out how im gonna do it. ill just have the wires going through loops on the side of the dresser, so that they are off the tank,
but i can still adjust the lights height with ease.

karazy
08-06-2009, 01:30 AM
woohoo, we're almost there!
heres what i had to get done:

saltwater mix station-done
hanging lights-done
plumbing-other than the standpipes, done
leak test-done
setting up controller-done

i hope to be picking up my rock and sand on sunday:biggrin:

karazy
08-07-2009, 04:41 PM
PICKING UP ROCK ON SUNDAY!:Banane27:

karazy
08-10-2009, 03:46 AM
its finally up! its taken two years (don't ask) but its finally up!

here's: the rock (i accidentally too much:redface: )
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/karazy101/001-17.jpg
here is the dry rock scape:
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/karazy101/003-19.jpg
here it is filled:
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/karazy101/007-12.jpg
right side:
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/karazy101/010-10.jpg
left side:
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/karazy101/011-8.jpg
left overhang (hard to get pic of):
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/karazy101/012-8.jpg
right overhang:
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/karazy101/013-5.jpg
fts:
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/karazy101/014-5.jpg

JDigital
08-10-2009, 03:54 AM
Congratulations!! It's a sweet feeling! :mrgreen:

karazy
08-10-2009, 03:58 AM
Congratulations!! It's a sweet feeling! :mrgreen:

you got that right. especially when it takes an extra 3 or so hours because you gotta use the bucket system from the basement to the top floor.:lol:

BlueAbyss
08-10-2009, 06:36 AM
Looks great! Lugging buckets is fun :lol:

fishytime
08-10-2009, 12:42 PM
Its Alive!:mrgreen:

noirsphynx
08-10-2009, 03:22 PM
Looks great, love the scape.

karazy
08-10-2009, 03:43 PM
thanks guys :)

Looks great, love the scape.
thankyou noirsphynx. i did go for a bit of a bonsai look.

skabooya
08-10-2009, 05:24 PM
looking awsome

karazy
08-11-2009, 03:54 AM
tested params today:

ph:8.11
calc:380
phosphate:1.0
ammonia:0
nitrite:0
nitrate:0

i was surprised that the ammonia, nitrite and nirate were at zero, so i threw in two table shrimp for good measure.

karazy
08-13-2009, 04:48 AM
well here's the parameters from today:

PH:7.98
dKH:10
calc:400
ammonia:1.0
nitrites:0
nitrates:0
phosphate:2.0

so basically the table shrimp lowered the ph just a lil bit, and made the phosphate go up,
but it looks to me like my cycle has started, so i pulled the shrimp out (that smelled great:lol:)

lastlight
08-13-2009, 05:02 AM
2 years must have damn near killed you! I'm happy your wait is over. You can spot an Elite tank anywhere with all the fancy routed curves lol. PIMPIN!

karazy
08-13-2009, 05:04 AM
2 years must have damn near killed you! I'm happy your wait is over. You can spot an Elite tank anywhere with all the fancy routed curves lol. PIMPIN!

haha, trust me, i died about a year and 5 months ago. i was a zombie for quite some time.
yup, the fact that we have access to a CNC machine makes a big difference sometimes.

karazy
08-18-2009, 01:54 AM
got a new toy today!
colby at elite got it for me.
its a hydor performer series skimmer
we have on running on one of our coral tanks and the skimmate it pulls is crazy, so i thought i'd get one.
this thing is heavy and built very solid.
pics:

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/karazy101/002-15.jpg
very well packed:
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/karazy101/004-14.jpg
first view:
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/karazy101/006-11.jpg
out of the box:
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/karazy101/007-13.jpg
in action:
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/karazy101/009-9.jpg

karazy
08-24-2009, 04:08 AM
here's some updated pics:

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/karazy101/224.jpg

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/karazy101/226.jpg

here's the amount of skimmate made in aprox. 2 days with no livestock whatsoever.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/karazy101/231.jpg

Zoaelite
08-24-2009, 04:46 AM
Wow Evan the tank looks great!!! Shoot me a PM in a few weeks when your ready to start putting coral in and I will send some frags your way!
Levi

karazy
08-24-2009, 04:48 AM
thanks levi! and i've still got a few tricks up my sleeve :wink:

oh, and also jay will probably come with me (he wants to buy some frags too :lol:)

BlueAbyss
08-24-2009, 05:47 AM
Lookin good man! I really like the 'island' look... I actually tried to pull that off this week when I scrubbed (and smashed) the Florida rock from my tank :lol:...

It didn't go well for me but looks great in your tank :wink:

karazy
09-07-2009, 12:52 AM
well, plans for the back chamber have changed.
im not going to tell you what, but make you guess, what's going into the back chamber:twised:

this game is off limits to my facebook friends :lol:

here's a picture of its color pattern. good luck.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/karazy101/009-10.jpg

conix67
09-07-2009, 02:54 AM
Impressive work! Especially from a 13year old. By the way, it's no different for grown ups, the money doesn't just appear for your hobby out of blue. Good progress, I'll be enjoying this thread.

lobsterboy
09-07-2009, 05:44 AM
Wow Evan the tank looks great!!! Shoot me a PM in a few weeks when your ready to start putting coral in and I will send some frags your way!
Levi

same goes here, but they would be SPS

karazy
09-09-2009, 02:11 AM
well since there really wasn't much response to the "game", here's a picture of him:

his name is shweeb.
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/karazy101/009-11.jpg

Leah
09-09-2009, 12:21 PM
Very handsome will he be the only inhabitant or will you/can you add other things?

karazy
09-09-2009, 01:36 PM
Very handsome will he be the only inhabitant or will you/can you add other things?

he's going to stay in the back chamber, so he will be the only fish in there, but iwill try to put some cool macro in there as well.

noirsphynx
09-09-2009, 04:40 PM
He's beautiful!

karazy
09-25-2009, 03:02 AM
well bad news guys.
shweeb passed away. a cardinal ended up in his tank by accident, and he swallowed it. the cardinal was too big to pass through and ended up killing him.
RIP shweeb.
i do plan on getting another frogfish.

i would of had frags in by now but im dealing with stupid flatworms that just won't die. hopefully i can have them gone soon.

oh, and i added sand

here's the FTS:
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/karazy101/005-16.jpg

Zoaelite
09-25-2009, 04:17 AM
Really sucks about the frog fish Evan :sad:, guess his mom never taught him to chew his food. Tank looks great, the rock work is perfect! When do you want your frags, I have some for you and Jay!
Levi

Leah
09-25-2009, 11:47 AM
Sorry about the frogfish. The tank looks amazing with the sand though.

bauder1986
09-25-2009, 03:29 PM
You have got to be one of the most patient people on here man! 2 years....wow, alot of newbies can learn from you the meaning of taking it slow. anyways, that tank looks pretty wicked dude. look forward to seeing some life in it!

karazy
09-25-2009, 09:59 PM
Really sucks about the frog fish Evan :sad:, guess his mom never taught him to chew his food. Tank looks great, the rock work is perfect! When do you want your frags, I have some for you and Jay!
Levi

thanks man. i gotta get rid of these damn invincible flat worms first, but once that's done ill come a knockin

Leah
yeah, it really does suck, but there are always more fish in the sea.
and thankyou for the compliment. i love the sand it's seachem tidal(i think thats the name) and the mix of grains is perfect.

bauder
thankyou. i think all the time about if i had set up my tank alot earlier, and have come to the conclusion it would have sucked really bad.
the #1 thing that i think helped the most was one thing lots of people said not to do. start deciding your stocking list on day one. since your opinion will change so much, you'll have the chance to learn about lots of different fauna.

karazy
10-06-2009, 02:46 AM
well, a bit of an update.
my flatworms are insane. i tried flatworm exit. didnt work. i tried it again (and majorly overdosed) still didnt work.
i tried flatworm eating nudis. they didnt last long enough to make an impact, plus the flatworms were in my sump too so i dont think it was the best strategy.

so tonight i did the ultimate. i wish it didnt have to come to this, but i did a major salinity drop. im just happy i havent added any livestock yet and that i had this option.

buh-bye flatworms:bounce:

BlueAbyss
10-06-2009, 02:51 AM
Excellent (if drastic) :lol: What did you drop the salinity to?

karazy
10-06-2009, 02:59 AM
Excellent (if drastic) :lol: What did you drop the salinity to?

i actually haven't checked yet..let me do that real quick.

okay, its at 1.007

karazy
10-07-2009, 10:55 PM
so everything is going good, i still see a few flatworms, but barley any. i may lower the salinity a bit more, and then when i raise it back to normal i will just add salt directly to the sump and also add a big dose of levamisole to really make sure there are no more of these buggers.

im kind of thinking about redoing my left island of rock. it looks really cool, but its starting to be not the best rock formation. for one,there's a dead spot on the left side of the rock that wouldn't be easily fixed.
second of all it doesn't have a whole lot of space for corals.
third of all, it really doesn't have a lot of hiding places. it has beasicaly one big hole in a rock and thats it.
the only thing im worried about is not being able to make it look as nice as before, and then not being able to get it back to normal if i want to.

opinions?

karazy
10-14-2009, 04:01 AM
so i re-'scaped the left side of the tank. pictures to come

Boomboy
10-14-2009, 04:59 AM
i just got flat worms i hope i dont have to go to your extreme, i have a shrimp in there.

karazy
10-14-2009, 01:52 PM
i just got flat worms i hope i dont have to go to your extreme, i have a shrimp in there.

all i can say is get rid of em as fast as you can, cuz they really suck and multiply quickly

BlueAbyss
10-14-2009, 04:19 PM
I noted a single flatworm like 2 months ago in my tank, and haven't seen any since. Maybe I'm just lucky...

karazy
10-15-2009, 03:26 AM
so, pictures of the new aqua scape as promised.
its full of neat holes and caves and should make for a better scape all around.
other reasons why i re-scaped will slowly reveal themselves.
i did really love my other scape, but it just wasn't functional and had barley and spots for good coral placement
(sorry for the low quality pics, the tank was cloudy from being messed around with)

so from this:
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/karazy101/002-16.jpg

to this:
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/karazy101/007-14.jpg

and a detailed shot of the neat caves and overhangs:
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/karazy101/008-11.jpg

and a full system shot:
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/karazy101/009-12.jpg

karazy
10-16-2009, 01:27 AM
just because the pictures from yesterday sucked, here's another batch:

FTS
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/karazy101/001-20.jpg

a bit closer:
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/karazy101/002-17.jpg

and detail of the new rock island:
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/karazy101/004-16.jpg

BlueAbyss
10-16-2009, 07:08 AM
The new scape looks awesome, in spring I'll send you some of your orange zoas :)

Delphinus
10-16-2009, 07:12 AM
Digging the new aquascape .. :)

karazy
10-16-2009, 01:51 PM
The new scape looks awesome, in spring I'll send you some of your orange zoas :)

they opened up for you in the end? sweet.

thanks tony. you know what will love all the tunnels and nooks i made

Delphinus
10-16-2009, 04:52 PM
You should consider a canopy then (can still be open top, but get that perimeter covered!)

I had a change of heart this week about my lack of canopy on my tank... I ended up slapping together something last night, it's not pretty, but it will do the trick. Cost me about $12 (yeah, big spender, I know :lol: ) I can post some pictures later maybe if you're looking for ideas.

BlueAbyss
10-16-2009, 09:44 PM
Yup they opened, I'll upload some photos tonight. They're still pretty brown, but getting nice and orange again. I have this new thing with large zoas and palys, I think... I have pink, green, and orange :lol:

karazy
10-16-2009, 10:53 PM
You should consider a canopy then (can still be open top, but get that perimeter covered!)

I had a change of heart this week about my lack of canopy on my tank... I ended up slapping together something last night, it's not pretty, but it will do the trick. Cost me about $12 (yeah, big spender, I know :lol: ) I can post some pictures later maybe if you're looking for ideas.

im getting a glass lid built next week :biggrin:

Delphinus
10-16-2009, 11:08 PM
:cool:

BlueAbyss
10-17-2009, 03:51 AM
So, here's those zoas... the orange ones.
http://i633.photobucket.com/albums/uu56/TheVastMajority/10%20gallon%20reef/033.jpg

A little brown but they were closed for a month, and until today I was running a crazy long photoperiod. They should color up pretty well in the next while, they've already come a long way.

karazy
10-17-2009, 04:08 AM
So, here's those zoas... the orange ones.
http://i633.photobucket.com/albums/uu56/TheVastMajority/10%20gallon%20reef/033.jpg

A little brown but they were closed for a month, and until today I was running a crazy long photoperiod. They should color up pretty well in the next while, they've already come a long way.

yup, they deffinitely have come a long way

karazy
11-02-2009, 03:21 AM
so got my first fish today. a really nice pair of percs.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/karazy101/138.jpg

BlueAbyss
11-02-2009, 03:29 AM
Those are nice percs, indeed.

karazy
11-08-2009, 01:35 AM
well i get some awesome new equipment this week (thankyou jayreefer180) and an awesome new addition.
the equipment:
so far i love this thing. i went with the mp10 and for its size it really pushes water. right now i have it on reefcrest mode at about 60% and its awesome.
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/karazy101/002-18.jpg

and of course, the addition. this is something i have been trying to find for a long long time. im still amazed i was able to find one as they are quite rare.
and so, the addition is:

a picture of a plastic bag. its whats in the bag that's amazing. pictures of whats in the bag to come.
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/karazy101/005-18.jpg

Delphinus
11-08-2009, 02:42 AM
Oh the suspense! What oh what could it be. I have nooooooooooo idea. :lol:

karazy
11-08-2009, 02:50 AM
Oh the suspense! What oh what could it be. I have nooooooooooo idea. :lol:

tony, just because i didnt put a disclaimer just for you doesn't mean you should post here :lol:

lastlight
11-08-2009, 03:09 AM
Oh hurry up already. PICS.

karazy
11-08-2009, 03:11 AM
he's hiding right now. ill get pictures tomorow :P

jimbo222
11-08-2009, 03:14 AM
aha so it;s a snail

kien
11-08-2009, 03:29 AM
I was all like.. Cool gotta see what this is.. Scroll scroll scroll.. WTH no pictures?!?! BOOOoOOOOOO!! :-)

karazy
11-08-2009, 03:41 AM
I was all like.. Cool gotta see what this is.. Scroll scroll scroll.. WTH no pictures?!?! BOOOoOOOOOO!! :-)

so my plan worked. muahahaha

Delphinus
11-11-2009, 01:01 AM
Geeez dude are you going to let that cat out of that bag anytime soon?!

Pictures man! Get to it! :p

kien
11-11-2009, 02:16 AM
i think it was just a bag of mostly water..

globaldesigns
11-11-2009, 02:46 AM
We are all waiting... What's in the bag?:biggrin:

karazy
11-11-2009, 02:57 AM
pictures will be up within 20 minutes.

karazy
11-11-2009, 03:08 AM
so here's the new addition. probably the coolest fish ive ever owned.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/karazy101/008-12.jpg

globaldesigns
11-11-2009, 03:10 AM
Is that a dwarf golden eel? I think that is the name.

Very beautiful, I want one.

karazy
11-11-2009, 03:35 AM
Is that a dwarf golden eel? I think that is the name.

Very beautiful, I want one.

yup, gymnothorax melatremus. the dwarf golden moray eel.

Delphinus
11-11-2009, 04:02 AM
GREAT shot!!!

karazy
11-20-2009, 03:18 AM
so i got another new addition.

i was planning on holding off for a while but i just couldn't resist the temptation.
especially because of this guys great personality.
i dont have any pics yet, but ill give you a hint.
its a centropyge.

muck
11-20-2009, 04:26 AM
Flame or Potter?

Leah
11-20-2009, 12:54 PM
Very nice, waiting to see what else you have. I hate suspense. :wink:

karazy
11-20-2009, 10:38 PM
Flame or Potter?

there were some small potters that i was debating, bu this guy was just too cool to say no.

GreenSpottedPuffer
11-20-2009, 10:40 PM
Eibli?

They are my favorite along with Flame Angels

karazy
11-20-2009, 10:41 PM
Eibli?

They are my favorite along with Flame Angels

nope. i do like the eibli's also, but not as cool as this guy.

Delphinus
11-20-2009, 10:45 PM
Ok is there actually a reason you're not coming out and saying what it is? Out with it already!

karazy
11-20-2009, 11:07 PM
well fine tony!
and tony, i already know your gonna be jealous :p

centropyge multicolor
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/karazy101/004-17.jpg

and a terrible picture of his curious nature
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/karazy101/003-23.jpg

Leah
11-20-2009, 11:11 PM
Okay he was worth the wait. Very, very nice :mrgreen:

bauder1986
11-20-2009, 11:11 PM
Dude, Im jealous lol. Sweet fish! Hey when are you gonna get coral?

karazy
11-20-2009, 11:24 PM
i do actualy have some coral at the moment, i just havent really announced it.
ive got some zoa frags and a few heads of hammer coral. they are all on the sand bed at the moment because i have a sea hare cleaning up some hair algae and i dont want him to knock them off the rocks.

bauder1986
11-20-2009, 11:27 PM
oh cool! How are they doing? Pics?

karazy
11-20-2009, 11:28 PM
oh cool! How are they doing? Pics?

they're doing magnificent. ill try to get some pics in the next few days.

karazy
11-25-2009, 03:33 AM
well, i got something that i've been waiting for for a while now.

im pretty sure he's an A.Pictus
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/karazy101/001-21.jpg
now i took a shot for size comparison...

he's tiny!!
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/karazy101/005-19.jpg

and him in his new home (lookin grumpy):
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/karazy101/006-15.jpg

and a shot to show the little coral garden i have going on:
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/karazy101/014-6.jpg

noirsphynx
11-25-2009, 03:56 AM
Wow, so tiny and cute!

manaf
11-25-2009, 04:31 AM
wow nice moray i thought eels eat shrimp and ur other fish?

BlueAbyss
11-25-2009, 04:50 AM
Nice, I don't think I've ever seen one of these guys in a nano before. I'm considering one (a Centropyge) for my 29 when I get it going next year.

Delphinus
11-25-2009, 07:18 AM
Wow that is a tiny frog. LOL! Awesome score!

Leah
11-25-2009, 11:05 AM
He is oh so very, very tiny is he eating and what does he eat? CUTE!

karazy
11-25-2009, 01:37 PM
yeah, he's awesome.

manaf to answer your question yes they are piscivores, but they are so small that they really cant fit many fish into their mouths.

leah, he isnt eating yet as far as i know, bu to get him eating at least something i might try gut loaded ghost shrimp or gut loaded juvenile guppies

karazy
11-27-2009, 03:51 AM
well it's happened.

i have joined the dark side...i got 1/2 an inch of acropora.

so this is now (buy 1/2 an inch) a mixed tank

Naked Wookie
12-16-2009, 10:00 PM
haha good to see the tank is doing well karazy, I want pics of the acro

JDigital
12-16-2009, 11:27 PM
How's the torch frag doing? :biggrin:

karazy
12-17-2009, 01:15 AM
thanks nate.

the torch is doing wonderful. i call it the joker torch because its got some purple tentacles and some green tentacles

noirsphynx
12-17-2009, 01:36 AM
thanks nate.

the torch is doing wonderful. i call it the joker torch because its got some purple tentacles and some green tentacles

Pics? I'd love to see that.

karazy
12-17-2009, 02:56 AM
Pics? I'd love to see that.

ill try to get some. my camera is terrible for tanking pictures of coral, but i plan on getting a new camera for Christmas and will do a big round of photos after that.

Naked Wookie
12-17-2009, 02:38 PM
spending valuable coral money on a camera :O I thought you where better karazy ;).
good to see you finally got everything together haha

karazy
12-17-2009, 09:51 PM
spending valuable coral money on a camera :O I thought you where better karazy ;).
good to see you finally got everything together haha

i know i know, but the new nikon d5000 is much too irresistable

Naked Wookie
12-20-2009, 04:19 PM
personally D3x/D3s would be more so :P. how is the controller working for you?
been toying with getting one for my system

karazy
12-20-2009, 06:20 PM
personally D3x/D3s would be more so :P. how is the controller working for you?
been toying with getting one for my system

the controller is awesome. i sometimes wonder why people go without them they are so handy.

manaf
12-20-2009, 07:56 PM
hey any updates on ur tank? full tank shot i want to see how its coming along:mrgreen:

karazy
12-21-2009, 03:40 AM
hey guys,

so i ended up selling the eel. there were a variety of reasons i let him go, and i was sad to do it, but he's gone now and thats what matters.
so here's some pics for you guys:
FTS:
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/karazy101/001-22.jpg

my ever growing coral army:
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/karazy101/006-16.jpg

and here's a pic of the new "joker torch" (it's brighter in person):
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/karazy101/009-14.jpg

noirsphynx
12-21-2009, 04:38 AM
I really like that torch!

karazy
12-31-2009, 03:38 AM
so i got some new livestock. gotta love boxing day. i was really tempted to get a gigantic torch colony too, but it would have taken up a third of my tank.

pics:
neon goby:
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/karazy101/006-17.jpg

silly black cap jawfish:
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/karazy101/008-13.jpg

FTS
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/karazy101/009-15.jpg

karazy
01-07-2010, 12:06 AM
well i finally got all my frags off the sand so i thought i'd post a FTS in celebration.
it does look quite bare now though, but i do have something coming that should cover up a good chunk of the right island.
oh, and for those who noticed the new addition, Cirrhilabrus lubbocki

FTS:
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/karazy101/001-23.jpg

RIPTANK
01-20-2010, 03:32 AM
Where did you get your percs from? They're really nice!!!

Leah
01-20-2010, 03:34 AM
Looks great! What is the pink and orange fish, Karazy?

karazy
01-20-2010, 11:47 PM
i got the percs at wais. he always has some cool clowns

as for the new addition, its a lubboks fairy wrasse, but im thinking about switching him out with a flame wrasse

JDigital
01-21-2010, 12:31 AM
Just a word of advise, but both the Lubbocks and Flame Wrasse typically require larger tanks... Flames are recommended to be in 75-90G or larger, and the Lubbocks is generally 50G or larger. :)

Tank looks good though bud.

karazy
01-22-2010, 10:35 PM
Just a word of advise, but both the Lubbocks and Flame Wrasse typically require larger tanks... Flames are recommended to be in 75-90G or larger, and the Lubbocks is generally 50G or larger. :)

Tank looks good though bud.

yes i do know and thankyou for the advice. an upgrade is in the mix.

bauder1986
01-26-2010, 05:20 AM
Hey dude, tank is looking good man, look forward to seeing more corals and a light upgrade *wink wink nudge nudge*

karazy
01-31-2010, 10:28 PM
hey guys and gals,

so heres some updates on the tank.
some stocking changes have happened. first of the jawfish got switched out with a tailspot blenny. he kept spooking the other fish at night.
also i have ich in the tank, but only on one fish. the neon goby is covered but everyone else is fine. it's been like that for a few weeks and i haven't been able to catch him for treatment.
the weiredest and most displeasing stocking change is my lubboks fairy wrasse died. it was one of those deaths where i dont think ill ever be able to find out what happened. all the params were fine and the other fish were happy as ever (as they still are) but one day he started swimming kinda weird and limp like, and by the next day he could barley swim and was super stressed out. death followed quickly.
i also got some new sps from a local frag swap that are doing quite well.
but the biggest update by far is....

IM UPGRADING THIS TANK TO A BIGGER SIZE!
watch for the build thread.

FTS
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/karazy101/018-6.jpg

tailspot:
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/karazy101/020-3.jpg

some good polyp extension on this frag
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/karazy101/021-6.jpg

karazy
02-12-2010, 02:17 AM
just got a whole shwack of new SPS and some LPS from oceanic corals.
acclimating as i type.
pics soon!

imcosmokramer
02-12-2010, 03:13 AM
great pictures!
________
Live sex (http://livesexwebshows.com/)

karazy
02-12-2010, 08:29 PM
here's the new frags!
sorry my crappy camera doesnt take true color photos very well, the white balance is not adjustable.
all the frags are form oceanic corals, minus the purple valida (thats from coral master)

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/karazy101/002-20.jpg

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/karazy101/005-20.jpg

kien
02-12-2010, 08:54 PM
Nice stash :-). Tank looks great too.

lastlight
02-12-2010, 09:12 PM
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/karazy101/021-6.jpg

Let me get this straight...you post in my sacred and on-topic thread about perversions and what not...then post this?! There are kids on here as well Karazy =) I'm sure Doug will back me up on this one!

Tanks looks great too. Is that your first order from Oceanic?

kien
02-12-2010, 09:38 PM
Brett is just jealous or envious, or heck both! Pay him no mind.

Brett, I think his water is warmer ? Just keep telling yourself that and it'll be okay.

lastlight
02-12-2010, 09:44 PM
I was halfway thru photoshopping that pic and flipping it upside down for a witty comeback when I thought "No Brett...you're bigger than this (not literally) so grow up".

karazy
02-12-2010, 10:15 PM
i had quite the laugh at your post brett. coinsidentaly my mom calls sps "erection corals"

yes this is my first order of corals form OC and im am very pleased, especialy with the awesome purple monti cap.

lobsterboy
02-12-2010, 11:45 PM
yeah the grape cap and fire truck are pretty sweet, I too have the fire truck, and its kept its color really well.

karazy
03-08-2010, 03:43 AM
well a little update.

looks like my interest is heading towards the sps side of the hobby so my tank is as well.
i added two new fish. a longfin fairy wrasse and a yellow-green canary blenny.
i also built a new mesh lid so i am finaly not running stupid glass lids (thanks carmen!)

the question i have for you reefers is what should i do with my right rock island.
its got a bit of a weird flow around it being so close to the vortech and none of my sps seem to enjoy it very much (minus the purple valida, but its pretty close to the other island)
my idea was some sort of anemone, but im afraid of it ending up like a bull in a china cabinet and ending up with tons of stung up SPS.
thoughts?

pics:
FTS:http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/karazy101/009-16.jpg
new canary blenny (he's very active):
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/karazy101/005-21.jpg
new longfin fairy wrasse (doesn't like the camera)
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/karazy101/003-24.jpg

BlueAbyss
03-10-2010, 05:19 AM
Lookin great man, keep it up!

lobsterboy
03-10-2010, 05:35 AM
your tank is really coming along. good work !

bauder1986
03-19-2010, 10:14 AM
Dude, your tank is totally starting to look awesome! Cant wait to see some frags coming from your tank:razz:

Leah
03-19-2010, 11:16 AM
Let me get this straight...you post in my sacred and on-topic thread about perversions and what not...then post this?! There are kids on here as well Karazy =) I'm sure Doug will back me up on this one!

Tanks looks great too. Is that your first order from Oceanic?

Brett,

You are, oh so bad :twised:.... Glad to see, you still have what it takes. :wink:
What no Cheato balls to add. :twised:

Karazy,

Tank is amazing. Can't wait to see it, once everything takes off. :mrgreen: