PDA

View Full Version : Can I save this acro?

MikeP
07-20-2008, 06:11 PM
I've had this acro for about 4 weeks. There isn't any color to it yet, if it were to color up I think it would be a nice blue. A small patch of white on the lower left corner has appeared and it's slowly getting bigger. Is there anything I can do or will this coral just slowly die? There is good polyp extension throughout the rest of the coral though.

Thanks for any help

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q117/MikeP471612/Corals/IMG_1345.jpg

DanG
07-20-2008, 06:26 PM
Time to frag it. Leave some of the live tissue on the base when you cut it.

MikeP
07-20-2008, 11:06 PM
I've never fragged something like this, what do I use to cut it?

bv_reefer
07-21-2008, 12:28 AM
i use wire snips, they give a nice flat edge so it's easy to glue afterwards

Skimmerking
07-21-2008, 12:20 PM
I've had this acro for about 4 weeks. There isn't any color to it yet, if it were to color up I think it would be a nice blue. A small patch of white on the lower left corner has appeared and it's slowly getting bigger. Is there anything I can do or will this coral just slowly die? There is good polyp extension throughout the rest of the coral though.

Thanks for any help

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q117/MikeP471612/Corals/IMG_1345.jpg

Doug had one of my SPS that did that it was a green slimmer and the bottom wouldnt grow at all it would just stay dead but kept on growning at the top.. i would just leave it and see what happens or cut it off the bottom and see, its hard to say with SPS one min they are good and the other min they are RTN. like most of mine did from the bottom thou WEIRD.....

wickedfrags
07-21-2008, 01:27 PM
before fragging it you can try applying some superglue to the base, sometimes this stops STN and RTN.

mark
07-21-2008, 01:43 PM
before fragging it you can try applying some superglue to the base, sometimes this stops STN and RTN.

suggesting covering the white area in super glue?

wickedfrags
07-21-2008, 02:10 PM
correct, and overlap the healthy tissue which is not recessing just a little bit in hopes that the glue will stopp the progress

suggesting covering the white area in super glue?

MikeP
07-21-2008, 05:39 PM
I will try this out tonight, I'd much rather save the whole colony rather than frag it.

Thanks!

fencer
07-21-2008, 06:00 PM
When an acro RTN's does the tissue actually slough off and is it always botton up. When an acro "bleaches" does it slough tissue off too. I guess what I am asking is what's the initial difference. How can I tell if RTNing or just bleachinig?

christyf5
07-21-2008, 06:05 PM
Bleaching isn't really the loss of tissue, the coral just loses color due to expulsion of zooxanthellae and the tissue is still intact. However RTN (rapid tissue necrosis) is the degradation and loss of tissue due to a number of factors (of which we mostly don't have a clue :razz:).

Usually you can tell by closely looking at the corallites of the coral, no polyps usually means RTN (for me anyways). Corals usually don't bleach overnight either they take a few days.

MikeP
07-25-2008, 04:51 AM
correct, and overlap the healthy tissue which is not recessing just a little bit in hopes that the glue will stopp the progress

I did a line of glue along the living tissue and white dead area. This coral was quickly getting worse. The lost tissue was double the size pictured within 2 days. Once the glue was applied that's where it stopped. This was a great tip, thank-you very much!