PDA

View Full Version : halide not fireing up

Mik_101
07-19-2008, 06:13 PM
as the tittle says one of 2 of my halide is not fireing up. Th person who i bought it from says the the hd probloms with the ignitor s im gusssing that it could be the ignitor. Could it be anything else?

MikeP
07-19-2008, 08:57 PM
I would say it's the ignitor. Does the ballast still 'buzz' when you turn it on? If the previous owner had problems with the ignitor then you had better look into what's causing it to fail.

Redoc
07-19-2008, 11:47 PM
What brand is your light? Does it go on at all if you play with it a little?

Aquattro
07-20-2008, 01:50 AM
what bulb, what ballast?

Skimmerking
07-20-2008, 07:07 AM
Mik what type of ballast is it its not the Aqua Medic ones are they.

as the tittle says one of 2 of my halide is not fireing up. Th person who i bought it from says the the hd probloms with the ignitor s im gusssing that it could be the ignitor. Could it be anything else?

Mik_101
07-20-2008, 07:21 AM
I would say it's the ignitor. Does the ballast still 'buzz' when you turn it on? If the previous owner had problems with the ignitor then you had better look into what's causing it to fail.
yes it sstill dose buzz when I turn it on.
What brand is your light? Does it go on at all if you play with it a little?
Its a hamilton bulb and the ballast is http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/product-info.php?product_ID=pfo-bh252. Yes it gose on for about 45-1 min and just dies.
what bulb, what ballast?
bulb-hamilton ballast-http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/product-info.php?product_ID=pfo-bh252http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/product-info.php?product_ID=pfo-bh252
Mik what type of ballast is it its not the Aqua Medic ones are they.no it the one i posted above.

Black Phantom
07-20-2008, 01:16 PM
I had the same ballasts and had a ton of problems with them trying to run different bulbs. I ended up ordering just the ballast(electronic) from J & L. Then I opened up the cases and replaced them all.
I found that the coil and core ballasts PFO were using were bulb specific and now with the new electronic ballasts I can run them all.

Aquattro
07-20-2008, 02:32 PM
It's a dual ballast? Have you swapped the bulbs around?

Drock169
07-20-2008, 03:47 PM
I pretty sure your supposed to use an Electronic or HQI ballast to fire Hamilton bulbs

Canuckgod420
07-20-2008, 04:51 PM
Hamiltons are 1 of the few bulbs that will fire on pretty much any ballast...I ran a couple on some cheap tar ballasts I bought at a hydroponic shop for over a year with no problems.

Mik_101
07-20-2008, 07:46 PM
It's a dual ballast? Have you swapped the bulbs around?

what do you mean swap the bulbs arund. If you mean swithch the sides i did and it dose the same thing it did on the others.

midgetwaiter
07-21-2008, 06:11 PM
SE or DE bulbs?

If the ballasts have ignitors they are either pulse start or HQI. Running a probe start bulb SE on either of those ballasts will work sometimes but it usually chews up the bulbs pretty fast.

If it's DE and the bulb works when connected to the other ballast output then you have a dead ballast and you will need to get it repaired.