PDA

View Full Version : Racoon Butterfly

Douglas
07-19-2008, 12:59 AM
Hi there, i'm wanting to ask anyone, if they've kept a Racoon butterfly in their reef tanks. I've got a small clam, and a few urchins (corals too)and want to know if there going to be safe. Been reading up on them, and have found several different opinions. Any advice would be great, thanks, Doug

fmelindy
07-19-2008, 01:21 AM
I think "several different opinions" is as good as you're going to get. It seems with these fish, like most angels and butterflies to a lesser extent, that your mileage may vary based on the individual fish. Most people will say these fish are not reef safe, but you will always find exceptions, as with most things.

michika
07-19-2008, 03:45 AM
I have one now, and its been great so far. It is small though, about 1", eats well, and picks at the rock. I haven't seen it pick at anything it shouldn't yet. I have a Raccoon from the Red Sea

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b286/michika/DSC_0198.jpg

VFX
07-19-2008, 03:57 AM
Catherine,

Do you have any inverts in with your Racoon?

Clams, shrimp etc.

(Sorry to hijack your thread)

michika
07-19-2008, 03:59 AM
8 clams (everything but squamosa right now), lots of SPS, various inverts.

Douglas
07-20-2008, 01:56 AM
Well....I've got the new Racoon butterfly. He(Rocky)made the transfer. And it's been about 36hrs. He hasn't eaten anything, and he's been nipping at my green polyps. And seems to ignore the glass anenomes. Hopefully he'll start eating soon.( And yes...My daughter named him Rocky)

Atomikk
07-20-2008, 05:20 AM
Say bye bye to your zoa collection. I am talking from experience.

michika
07-20-2008, 03:05 PM
How big is Rocky? Do you know what foods he/it/she accepts? If so keeping your butterfly full/satiated can go a very long with in preventing unwanted nipping etc.

Atomikk
07-20-2008, 09:22 PM
Frankly with these fish, it doesn't matter what size they are now and if they are trained not to eat zoanthids. Eventually their instincts will kick in and will consume, not nip, zoanthids. I have seen this personally where two ate a small colony in 10 minutes. Ate, not nip.

HTH

Douglas
07-21-2008, 02:51 AM
My new racoon butterfly has not eaten any frozen food yet, Mysis, or brine. and I've had him since, Friday. He doesn't even seem interested. He's only picking at the larger polyps, and not the small zoos. I'd really like to try to keep him, but if he keeps it up, he might have to go...if i can catch him. He's about 2 inches in diameter. I got him at Wai's, who told me he would be the better choice, for care level, and wouldn't eat corals. Very healthy fish, just won't eat, and picks at polyps. Doug

Douglas
07-23-2008, 10:57 PM
Is there anything else I can give to this Raccon butterfly, to get it to eat? it's nipping at coral, and litterally shaking his head at anything else i feed it. Doug

michika
07-23-2008, 11:45 PM
I feed mine nori with my tangs, I wrap it around my feeding stick. Its a 1.5" PVC stick that I wrap 2-3 strips of nori around once a day. It simulates pecking off the rocks, and with numerous areas of nori, the less aggressive, or smaller fish, can get in and get their fill as well.

You can also try cracked open clams from the grocery store.

Monti-Man
07-24-2008, 12:45 AM
Tried the butterflies as well, always eventually when for the corals