PDA

View Full Version : red sea max users

nats
07-18-2008, 05:57 PM
I just replaced the stock skimmer for a tunze 9002 and purchased a steve t
media rack, and I cant get over the difference. This skimmer skimmed more in three hours than the stock has ever skimmed and is dead quiet. I was able to put a package of chemi pure in the media rack along with the black sponge and some filler floss. No more bubbles and the water is really clear. Has anyone here done the same?

phillyreefer
07-18-2008, 07:53 PM
Do you know if you can replace the Carbon bag with Chemi Pure?

Reefhawk1
07-20-2008, 12:25 AM
I haven't done this mod yet but I will in the future. The stock skimmer for the RSM is crap!

Do you have any pics of the upgrade?

nats
07-20-2008, 03:24 AM
sorry no photos but here's the link for steve t's mods for the red sea max
http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=131416&pid=1290471&st=0&#entry1290471

Chaloupa
07-20-2008, 03:35 AM
I just bought the Tunze skimmer and I have a media rack with replacement Tunze cup on it's way from Steve. I can't wait....BUT I just don't get how to hold the Tunze in place....I have read the thread many times and I just don't get it:redface: can you detail how you did yours specifically? THANKS!

nats
07-20-2008, 03:50 AM
ok first off did your tunze come with the magnet already attached? This would be the newest version. Second did you ask steve to install a center brace for the media rack? If yes. Its a walk in the park. are you going to use chemi pure in the media rack? First thing I did was unplug the max. Remove power control bar from the max and unplug the stock skimmer. Pull out the old skimmer and say good riddens. THis is a good time to clean the back chamber out ( optional ) put chemipure on lowest shelve on rack. Filter floss in center. place rack in first on the rightt hand side place new skimmer in tank and eyeball where the waterline on skimmer and rack are. Attach magnet on inside of rack. That magnet has punch so be careful. Last adjust to desired height plug the skimmer in and turn back on.
I am still playing with the air valve on the skimmer trying to get the right amount of skimming.

Chaloupa
07-20-2008, 03:57 AM
Hey Nats THANKS!.....hmmm I did tell him I just got the Nano skimmer...will email him right away as I think he is shipping out on Monday and we have been chatting previously when I didn't have the skimmer. Thanks for that....and yep my skimmer has the magnet on it...so must be the newest version. I am still debating what I want on the racks...but am following all of Steve's threads and will do what works......I may do just what you have done as it works for you?! As soon as I got the new skimmer (which is still in the box) my stock skimmer actually started to skim pretty ok...but I expect quite a bit more out of the Tunze. I know there will be a break in period...but once that is over I anticipate GREAT results! What other mods have you done? I just put the Hydor on one outlet and thats it so far......then of course the skimmer, and media rack.

nats
07-20-2008, 02:57 PM
That's all I have done. I am not going with a chiller. I have been able to keep my tank at 77 with no problems. I would also suggest asking your lfs to order in new bulbs for you. It takes a few weeks to get them in and most places dont stock them. Best to have them ready just in case.

Chaloupa
07-20-2008, 05:37 PM
I had been thinking of changing the bulbs as the ones that come with it....well not the best! I don't think I am adding a chiller as I don't my temps haven't been too high and the house has AC....but I'll be watching.

Sarahs
07-23-2008, 04:01 PM
I had to add a chiller as soon as I got my RSM last september... the one OSI rated for 32gallons burnt out, and the OSI 72 gal.. keeps it cool. It was reaching up to 88.. so I had no choice but to get a chiller.