PDA

View Full Version : Help with ID of Corals

noirsphynx
07-17-2008, 02:26 AM
Anyone have any idea what this is. I purchased a blue sponge and it has two corals growing along either side of it(also a black soft thing along the back). One looks like maybe some kind of brain (but it also has some small tentacles all over) the other I'm not sure. They're both hard corals but the one on the left has some tiny holes in it and out pop these tiny "sweepers" It reminds me of the feather like maxillipeds on my Porcelin crab. I've added a pick of the sponge with the unidentified corals and one of each. I put red dots beside the openings where the "sweepers" are popping out to feed.

spanky
07-17-2008, 02:32 AM
Is it possible it could be a type of favite. Its really hard to tell. I know my favite has those little grabbers.

noirsphynx
07-17-2008, 02:38 AM
I think the one to the right is but I really don't know about the one to the left. I hate not knowing what's in my tank, lol.

Myka
07-17-2008, 03:17 AM
The one on the left...maybe Montipora? That's a real guess there!

The one on the right...maybe I don't know! Ha! I'm not convinced that it is Favites though.

noirsphynx
07-17-2008, 03:56 AM
It does kind of resemble the green encrusting Montipora but what stumps me are the little openings.

oldsalty
07-17-2008, 07:04 AM
that blue spunge it real nice, how much did that run you. where did u get it. cheers.

Drock169
07-17-2008, 07:32 AM
little openings look like barnacle openings to me

noirsphynx
07-17-2008, 03:02 PM
that blue spunge it real nice, how much did that run you. where did u get it. cheers.

I got it in Edmonton at Big Al's and cost $30. I have no idea how pricey that is for a sponge. I had been looking for one and it was the first time that I had come across one so I snatched it up, it was their last one. The employee said they went fast.

noirsphynx
07-17-2008, 03:05 PM
little openings look like barnacle openings to me

I never thought of that. They do look like barnacle openings and that would explain the feathery appendages. :biggrin: thanks

kwirky
07-17-2008, 03:13 PM
Omg U Got Red Dot Photoshop Worms! Treat Your Tank Right Away Those Red Dot Worms Will Eventually Swarm Everything And Turn Your Fish Impossible Telus Advertisement Colours!!!11

noirsphynx
07-17-2008, 03:14 PM
Omg U Got Red Dot Photoshop Worms! Treat Your Tank Right Away Those Red Dot Worms Will Eventually Swarm Everything And Turn Your Fish Impossible Telus Advertisement Colours!!!11

:lol::lol:HAHAHAHA:lol::lol: