PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Local Coral Frags - Calgary

angelic
07-16-2008, 02:40 PM
Hello All,

I am looking for frags from local folk. I tried to post some people private but couldn't get it to work out.

I will be ready to put some in my 29 gal nano in a few weeks. I want to go with frags because I have purchased two beautiful larger corals in the past for my 14 gal only to have them die on me *sobs*
One was a zenia and the other I can't recalled the name of. I am very naive when it comes to reef keeping and want to go small not big this next nano until I have it nice and stable. Then I will go splurge and get a couple larges ones at RC.

I am looking for easy to keep items like Zoas? Soft corals and mushrooms and other items like these. I don't want to end up killing somethiing that I can't take care of and do not have the knowledge to give what it needs. I am the type of persons where basic is the best way to go *laugh*.

Any advice would be great and appreciated. I feel pretty green here. My life is incredibly hectic so I need to make sure not to complicate my reef keeping by going in way over my head. I am a old chick but in reef keeping I am barely at the crawing stage.

exentity, I tried pming you but I couldn't get through. Wanted to see if you could advise me on what may work for me.

Thanks very much all!!!

angelic

Red Coral Aquariums
07-16-2008, 03:00 PM
If you would like to drop in to Red Coral we would do a water sample test for free and help determine what your tank is ready for and help with a few stocking suggestions. We have a large selection of corals for every level full size and frags.
Thanks
Kevin
118, 3604-52 ave NW
338-1880

fencer
07-16-2008, 03:24 PM
How about you guys at Red Coral give us in Edmonton a sale on corals. We'd drive down or you can throw it on Greyhound. Edmonton Shops have very little in terms of SPS's. PM if you can do this for us
Thanks

xtreme
07-16-2008, 03:42 PM
How about you guys at Red Coral give us in Edmonton a sale on corals. We'd drive down or you can throw it on Greyhound. Edmonton Shops have very little in terms of SPS's. PM if you can do this for us
Thanks

You should have talked to Snappy. I think he was going up to Edm today and offered to bring up frags for anyone interested. He will ship as well. And let me tell you, he has some awesome frags.

www.coralmaster.com

Angelic, he could probably also recommend some corals for you if you get in touch with him.

angelic
07-16-2008, 04:50 PM
Thanks guys!!

I have had a few PM's and am getting some good ideas and help. I can use a lot more help *laugh* in the reef area.

Thanks RC on asking me to stop by. I have gotten all I have purchased to date for my reefs from you guys. I am just trying to get small frags from locals before I decide what I wantto buy big in retail. The last 2 large ones I bought died on me and cost a lot more then a frag. I just want to make sure I know what I am doing before I come by for any more corals and so on. I will stop in on my next day off for some fish and to see what you have frag wise. *sobs* have to work 6 days before next one off.

What do soft coarls and Zoes need to get nutrition wise?

Thanks
angelic

fencer
07-16-2008, 05:16 PM
I use coral frenzy and try smaller bits of mysis

sharuq1
07-16-2008, 05:17 PM
Hi Angelic, nice to see you on canreef. :biggrin: Pretty sure I know you from a certain alberta forum. Check out the canreef "library" for info. on pretty much any coral you an imagine. http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=43 Softies do tend to be easier keepers and have less in the way of lighting demands than lps or sps. Question: did you add another powerhead into your biocube? Stock it will not have enough flow. Most people add in (on the opposite side from stock pump output) a koralia nano, koralia 1 (I tried a K2 it was too much) or if you're like me and had way too much rock a seio820 (put on directional thingie to point upwards). Just something to think about when you go to the 29g.

ElGuappo
07-16-2008, 06:35 PM
Cyclopeze are good i even use daphnia once in a while. fish will also eat either of these.

angelic
07-17-2008, 04:44 AM
Once again thanks for the advice.

sharqu, I do have the extra flow and so far things in my 14 are doing much better. I will make sure I have enough in the 29 as well. I will try and read up as much as possible to make sure I find what types of coral and so on work for me. I am crazy busy as I just started a new job a few weeks back and have other demands on my time which does not give me a lot of read up time. That is why I am so glad to have all you to help newbies like myself.

I will be slow in getting things working here with the 29 gal nano but slow is good right!

Thanks all once again. You people are great!!!!

fooser
07-18-2008, 07:54 AM
Yes, flow is very important, but just don't put in too much for what you are keeping. you should find out the flow requirements of whatever you want to buy before hand to make sure you can accommodate it, or perhaps just find spot in your tank that has more/less flow for that piece. Also, if you are going to start using products to feed, be careful not to feed too much so that your nutrients in the tank skyrocket and cause some unfavorable results. You may end up with too much or too little of a good thing :) Hope I was in some way helpful.

I also pm'd you too!

angelic
07-19-2008, 02:51 AM
I am so glad I joined this group. It has been so helpfull in my quest..Thirst..recent addiction to reef keeping and all the things that come with it!!!

Thanks gang!

Black Phantom
07-20-2008, 07:45 PM
Hey Angelic
I've got a ton of Pom Pom Zenia in my small tank right now. Unmounted frags are $5 each and they're a very good size and growing well. You can pick out the ones you want if you're interested.
I just need someone to hold the speargun to keep my ferocious clownfish at bay. They don't take lightly to someone touching their turf :lol:

angelic
09-25-2008, 10:29 PM
Hi Everyone who offered to sell frags to me. I am still not ready for anything as now my mushrooms are coming off all my rocks. I am having the worst luck. I have to wait at least another month before I add anything.

Anyone know why my mushrooms are coming off the rock? I had bough both pieces from Red Coral one before it changed owners and one after so I have had both for a while but the last month the mushrooms just seem to fall off.

Thanks
angelic

ElGuappo
09-25-2008, 10:34 PM
i have had mushrooms "let go" because the place i put them was too high flow.

rocketlily
09-25-2008, 10:37 PM
Mine also have moved or "jumped" off the edge of a rock to because of too high of flow. Just use the bridal veil method and tie them down for a week and they'll stay put. Put them in very low flow and light when doing this.