PDA

View Full Version : Moving a Pulsing Xenia

Oscar
07-16-2008, 12:00 PM
I purchased a small colony of pulsing xenia recently. The 4 stalks are growing on a small brick like chunk of rock. I would like to transfer the stalks to another location onto my live rock.

I read that xenia can be relocated by cutting the stalk at the base and relocating onto a new rock. Has anyone any experience at this?

My success rate with gluing has not been great. Some corals have worked out very well, others such as a mushroom have only stayed attached for a couple of days.

purplepolypeater
07-16-2008, 12:14 PM
even if you tip the rock so that the stalk is touching the rock you want to transfer to they will grow onto it they grow like weeds and you can sell the original i sell a couple stalks every couple weeks that is how fast it grows

Oscar
07-16-2008, 12:19 PM
even if you tip the rock so that the stalk is touching the rock you want to transfer to they will grow onto it they grow like weeds and you can sell the original i sell a couple stalks every couple weeks that is how fast it grows

I had heard some people complain that these are sometimes weeds, I had no idea they could grow that fast!

At their current temporary location the flow seems a little harsh. I will move this rock to a couple of other locations to find the correct flow. If there is the appropriate flow at that location and enough room I may try your tipping trick.

fishytime
07-16-2008, 01:04 PM
You can cut the xenia with a razor blade or utility knife as close to the rock as possible. Poke a toothpick through the base of the frag stalk and elastic band the toothpick to the rock where you want it. Do your cutting outside of the tank in a container with tank water, and make sure you swish the original xenia rock around very well. Any little piece that comes off will settle somewhere where you dont want it and start a new colony. Leave the tooth pick in for a week or so and when you go to remove it twist the toothpick first(because the xenia will likely have grown onto the toothpick as well) then gently pull it out. You may want to do the toothpick removal outside of the tank as well.

Oscar
07-16-2008, 03:30 PM
You may want to do the toothpick removal outside of the tank as well.

That sound's like an effective technique. Thanks.

mark
07-16-2008, 08:49 PM
For dealing with Xenia I'll cut close to the rock, or if I don't want it growing back in the same place (often what's left of the cutting will growback) is I'll gently pull of the rock using a dental pick.

For resecuring I do the needle at thread method. With a needle push some thread through the base and then just tie to a piece of LR rubble. Drop the rubble with the Xenia attached where you want it growing.

Oscar
07-16-2008, 09:38 PM
For dealing with Xenia I'll cut close to the rock, or if I don't want it growing back in the same place (often what's left of the cutting will growback) is I'll gently pull of the rock using a dental pick.

For resecuring I do the needle at thread method. With a needle push some thread through the base and then just tie to a piece of LR rubble. Drop the rubble with the Xenia attached where you want it growing.

I suppose if the xenia is located in a low or moderate flow area the thread will not pull through the stalk? How long does it normally take for xenia to become one with the rock?

fishytime
07-16-2008, 09:42 PM
Not long...about a week.