PDA

View Full Version : Carpet Anemone not doing so good.HELP!!

Tigerarmy
07-16-2008, 04:56 AM
I bought a healthy carpet anemone 3 days ago and when I got it home it looked like the first pic and now it's mouth is gaping and it is completely deflated( went from 1ft radius approx to 4-6 inches), there is nothing coming out, and my clowns seem to be going inside it's mouth. It looks fine during the course of the day but near the end it looks bad. When I turn off the lights it seems to close it's mouth more. It has 1 anemone crab in it and the clowns seem to be TRYING to host ( putting it in their mouths, sleeping under it, swimming through it, and occasionally rubbing on it) I have 1 t5 18k light and 1 t5 actinic. I have good flow for a 55g tank. I feed the tank, frozen brine shrimp, feed my coral reef roids and phytoplankton. My ph is 8.1 my calcium is 440 my dkk is 8 my nitrates 0 phosphate 5.0. I tried the day I got the anemone to feed it frozen shrimp but it did not take it, I have not tried again.
I tried taking a pic of it's mouth open but I guess now it seems beter ( turned off lights). Could my lights be too intense and if so, wouldn't the anemone just move into a darker area?

Delphinus
07-16-2008, 05:35 AM
It's far too soon to try feeding it. Give that at least a week.

What exactly is the flow in the tank? The open mouth can be a response to low O2 levels, which increasing the flow might help, although it may also be a reaction to heat stress. It's just a general stress reaction, heck, it could be just that it was brought home a day ago and it is still settling in. It's hard to say what happens during the collection/import/retail process but sometimes they come to us so compromised that there's nothing we can do but hope for the best.

Watch the clowns, it sounds a little like they're stressing it. Sometimes it's just too much with the clowns right away, if it looks like it to you, you may need to consider removing them to the sump or QT tank for a week or so just to let the anemone settle in.

Overall, two T5's is definitely not on the side of too much light though. But if it looks like it's doing better without the lights on, leave the lights off for a bit and see if comes around.

Good luck!

Tigerarmy
07-16-2008, 05:57 AM
For flow I got 1 # 3 Koralia and one 120 powersweep? from zoo-med. Koralia's at the bottom right, zoo-med at top left back, both pointed toward the centre of the front of the tank to create a swirl in the middle, where the anemone is.
Will turning off the lights for awhile affect the growth and health of my other coral (lobed brain, hairy mushroom, toadstool, zoo's,gsp's,)?
He took a piece of shrimp this evening, and has closed his mouth, the clowns seem to leave him alone at night sleeping under him....I got no sump running a biowheel penguin 3500 or something? and a powerclean for the 30 gal.
Is there a way i can run a sump without drilling a hole?

Delphinus
07-16-2008, 06:22 AM
Technically you can, there are overflow boxes but to be honest adding a sump at this point is an awful lot of work, I was just thinking if it was there you could use it but otherwise don't worry about it.

Might just need to watch it for the next few days, maybe it's coming around.

I would really caution against feeding during the first week though, let it settle in first then see if takes food after a week or so. Sometimes undigested food can start to decompose and this can be bad news. A little bit hungry is better in this case then a little bit overfull. They can take a couple days to get settled and they might not be all that interested in food during that settling-in period.

Tigerarmy
07-16-2008, 06:29 AM
Thank you