PDA

View Full Version : how to move a 90 gallon tank

chevyjaxon
07-16-2008, 04:05 AM
like the title says, i am moving to a new house with the wife. we have a 90 gallon marine tank with lots of LR corals and fish and a deep sand bed,
after weeks of contemplation this is what I have come up with going out and buying 5, 46.5L coolers and 5, 26.5L water bottles that works out to 90 or so gallons, the fish will all go into one cooler the LR into 3 coolers and the corals into the last cooler. and the sand bed will go into a bucket. the remaining water goes into the bottles. any thoughts suggestions or warnings would be greatly appreciated at this point. ive only been in this hobby 8 months and moving this tank has been the most of my worries thanks for your thoughts on this one

sharuq1
07-16-2008, 04:09 AM
You could also consider getting a couple of those great big rubbermaids. They work great as a temporary tank if needed. If you do that, don't forget to add a heater and powerhead if they will be in there overnight while setting the tank up.

ElGuappo
07-16-2008, 04:12 AM
How far is the move? i used the arrow head jugs (water cooler) when transfering water from my 45 to the start of my 90 fw this weekend. you know the kind you get at safeway. (culigan)

Edit: upon a closer look it seem these are what you already plan to use.?

chevyjaxon
07-16-2008, 04:16 AM
the ones i intend on using are blue poly and have drain valves like the ones you would use for camping

chevyjaxon
07-16-2008, 04:17 AM
oh yeah we are moving about 20 minutes away

hecks220
07-16-2008, 07:19 AM
That's a great idea. Never thought about using coolers, but it makes sense in the summer time. Your friends shouldn't cook because of it..

marihoochie
07-16-2008, 03:13 PM
I moved the water from my 90 with 5 gallon water cooler jugs and all the live rock and corals in rubber made containers.put the fish in some old salt pails that were clean of course..worked out great!! Had 5 buddies helping out..so it was done fast !

Parker
07-16-2008, 05:48 PM
How old is the sand?.. I would be a bit leary of stirring it all up while removing it and then dumping it straight back into the tank 20 min's later. I would probabaly give it a very good rinse between tanks.