PDA

View Full Version : Flow suggestions please

hummer
07-16-2008, 03:53 AM
I want to remove my Seio M1500 powerhead to have a cleaner look and to avoid any future fatalities. Any suggestions on how I can do this and still have adequate flow? I have a Mag Drive 12B pump. Would the return flow be enough?

Thanks!

Der_Iron_Chef
07-16-2008, 04:56 AM
How big is your tank? What are you keeping? I would think, as a general rule, the return pump won't be enough. But I suppose it depends on the rest of the set-up and its inhabitants.

hummer
07-16-2008, 05:36 AM
How big is your tank? What are you keeping? I would think, as a general rule, the return pump won't be enough. But I suppose it depends on the rest of the set-up and its inhabitants.

I have a 90Gal with 33Gal Sump.
Tank Inhabitants:
4 Ocellaris
2 Spotted Cardinals
1 Regal Tang
1 Yellowtail Damsel
1 Red Fire Fish
1 Goby
2 Cleaner Shrimps
Kenya Tree
Green Star Polyps
Xenia
Green Ricordia
Most likely I'll only be keeping Soft Corals, LPS and some mushrooms.
Thanks.

Aquattro
07-16-2008, 01:56 PM
A Mag 12 probably won't be enough flow used as a return pump on a 90g

DanG
07-16-2008, 02:33 PM
If you can swing the money, look at the vortech pumps. The motor sits on the outside of the tank and the propeller is the only part that goes into the tank. They also come with a great wavemaker.
They're pricey, but worth it IMO.

xtreme
07-16-2008, 02:39 PM
If you can swing the money, look at the vortech pumps. The motor sits on the outside of the tank and the propeller is the only part that goes into the tank. They also come with a great wavemaker.
They're pricey, but worth it IMO.

I agree, clean look inside they tank and they move lots of water. Very broad flow and a very cool controller as well, especially the second generation controllers. They aren't cheap, but nothing is in this hobby.:wink:

hummer
07-16-2008, 03:16 PM
They aren't cheap, but nothing is in this hobby.:wink:

So true! I use to have fresh water and thought $5-$10 for a fish was too expensive. Now I spend double/triple that on fish and coral. The problem is that I love buying it.:biggrin:

Vortech's are about $400ish it seems. How safe are these for smaller fish and coral that love to float around?

xtreme
07-16-2008, 03:44 PM
They come with foam that fits around the outside to protect from anything getting in it. I didn't use it at first but have been since one of my starfish decided to chop off one of his legs.:sad: