PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic rods for aquascaping

reef bound
07-15-2008, 10:30 PM
I'm looking for acrylic rods to use in my aquascaping. We've seen some really neat aquascapes and they've either used PVC or acrylic rods. So we'd like to try the acrylic first, and go from there. Thanks for any help. (We're in Kamloops, BC)

Delphinus
07-15-2008, 11:15 PM
See if there's an Industrial Paints and Plastics franchise in your area. They'll have some.

http://www.ippnet.com

Another option is fibreglass rods. Again, IPP will have it but if you can't find them I think I heard you can get fibreglass rods at Canadian Tire. GreenSpottedPuffer found some there (I guess they are parking poles or something?) .. here's the post (with some pictures): http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=278967&#post278967

And I've heard of someone using fibreglass arrow shafts.

Good luck!

reef bound
07-16-2008, 12:41 AM
Thank you, Delphinus. I just got back from a glass store and found some. Yay! I also have a couple fibreglass rods I could use like you suggested, but didn't know if once the ends were cut if they would absorb water and weaken in any way. But if others are doing it, maybe we will give it a try. Thanks for your help.

sphelps
07-16-2008, 01:57 AM
never heard of using fiberglass, composites get fiber-rot so I wouldn't use them under water. I think PVC rods are stiffer than acrylic and may work better. 1/4" acrylic rods are not very strong and will bend and break easily.

Delphinus
07-16-2008, 04:51 AM
Not really uncommon that people use fibreglass rods, do a search here or on other boards. I don't make any claim as to suitability, just saying people have used it instead of acrylic. I guess fibreglass boats have a gelcoat.

Another option is nylon rods, also something IPP should carry. I don't know if it's a cost-effective alternative though as I've never looked into it, just noticed that they had them last time I was there.

Also generally speaking the rods should just be used for a little stabilization. I think anything used as a load bearing structure will likely weaken over time, so it would be better to find the way the rocks fit together best and use the rods as a guide. Just my $0.02. :)

reef bound
07-16-2008, 05:23 AM
Thanks for the 2cents. That's what we plan, just for a little extra stability. Found some 3/8" acrylic and seems to be the little bit of help we were looking for. Will keep playing. Again, thanks.