PDA

View Full Version : Frustration

Barrett.Oliver
07-15-2008, 01:59 PM
Alright Ladies and Gents,

I've been having such a terrible time with the tank I have set up about 5-6 weeks ago. I'm losing the livestock that I put into it. I have tried a Clownfish and a I have also tried a Cleaner Shrimp. The fish ended up with the velvet on them. I'm not even sure what happened to the shrimp he just stopped moving(this was before the fish died). The water as far as I can tell couldn't be better. The ammonia is steady at 0, as are both the nitrite AND nitrate. pH holds at about 8.0 (give or take 0.5 each time I test it). I'm also changing the water with RO water every week (apprx. 15%-20%). As far as I knew this was the correct way to be doing things?? So I guess what I'm looking to figure out, if anyone know why the animals I've nemed are dying or is this something that is case sensitive? I've has some snails in the tank all this while and nothing has happened to any of them (that I can notice that is). I've read nothing about why this may or may not happen. So any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Barrett Oliver:sad:

Der_Iron_Chef
07-15-2008, 02:12 PM
What is your salinity and how are you testing it? Do you have a refractometer?

How soon after adding them to the tank did the clownfish and shrimp perish? And how did you acclimate them?

Barrett.Oliver
07-15-2008, 02:37 PM
Salinity is 1.024-1.025..... Its done with a hydrometer, new with the tank. I acclimated it with the better part of an evening home from work, roughly 2.5-3 hours. I was trying to avoid losing "Toby" and "Pierre" at all costs. Its was about a week (a little shy of) after releasing them into the tank they both passed. Just to clarify, the pH flux isn't .5....its much more minor (someone pointed this out to me) Its at most .2 flux

So sad, one thing I wanted in setting up a tank was to not kill anything. I can't seem to keep anything alive besides snails though.

Very discouraging. I'm scared to put anything into the tank now.

marie
07-15-2008, 03:28 PM
The fish probably had velvet when you bought him and the stress of the move pushed him over the edge.
It would be a good idea to leave the tank fallow for 6 weeks to make sure any more fish that you add don't get marine velvet and in future quarantining in a hospital tank so you can medicate is the best way to avoid this happening.
As far as the shrimp goes, if you rush the acclimation time they die, there is no way around this (I've tried).

Barrett.Oliver
07-15-2008, 03:38 PM
I'm coming to the realization that I'm going to need a QT no matter how careful I think I'm being. I'll be picking one up in the near future. Also I will be too nervous to add anything more to the tank for quite some time now anyways.

Der_Iron_Chef
07-15-2008, 04:20 PM
Caution is great, but don't be discouraged! Things like this happen, although it is very unfortunate. Just continue to be diligent and you'll experience success with your future additions.

Barrett.Oliver
07-15-2008, 04:46 PM
Thanks everyone for the words of wisdom. I will continue to check this thread if anyone has anything further to add? Thanks again.

Barrett Oliver

Barrett.Oliver
07-15-2008, 07:11 PM
Another quick question!

I forgot about the fact that I have a little bitty mushroom who started off about the size of a pencil eraser. The little fella is about the size of a dime now. Would something that effects the fish NOT effect the mushroom?

Red Coral Aquariums
07-15-2008, 08:08 PM
Barrett.Oliver
Come into our store at 118, 3604-52 ave NW Calgary and bring a water sample and your hydrometer. Below is great advice. Ask for Doug or myself.
Thanks
Kevin.

Caution is great, but don't be discouraged! Things like this happen, although it is very unfortunate. Just continue to be diligent and you'll experience success with your future additions.

Brighteyes_13
07-16-2008, 12:05 AM
i know how discouraging starting a new tank can be. when i restarted mine it was problem after problem, and i lost 5 fish and 2 cleaners in 6 months due to these... but be patient, and dont give up! things get better, and you will learn from these experiences. (even if all you feel youre learning now is how to raise your bloodpressure)

WhoPoopWrasse
07-16-2008, 01:52 AM
After all the money your system cost you, setting up a QT is your next best bet. It will save you soooo much heartache and frustration.
As Marie said, you now need to leave your tank fallow for 6-8 weeks because it is most likely infected with brook, ich or velvet. In the meantime set up that QT, cycle it (adding a small piece of NEW liverock will speed it up a bit but take it out before you add the fish)
and buy your clowns and keep them there for the duration. That way your tank will be clean and if your new clowns are sick they'll be in the right place for them to be treated.:smile: