PDA

View Full Version : Hermits VS coral

Danny
07-15-2008, 03:05 AM
Do hermits do damage to corals? I can't keep one of my blue leg hermits off a new lps I put in the tank. Should I deep six him.

banditpowdercoat
07-15-2008, 06:45 AM
I had to six all but one of my hermits. They were not getting enough to eat. Now that I have more fish in tank, I may try to add a couple more, seem to have a bit more food and detritus buildup than before

Bugsy
07-15-2008, 04:11 PM
Funny you bring this topic up. I have never had troubles with blue leg hermits but this one I had would not leave my gsp alone and was actually pulling it off the rock. My algae eating hermit does not bother them at all, crawls around them picking algae from inbetween them but does not pull them off like the other one did.

Before you toss it, make sure it is just eating the algae and stuff off of it and not actually harming the coral itself. They are suppose to be reef safe and you don't hear often of them hurting corals.

:biggrin:

Pier Pressure
07-15-2008, 04:16 PM
I have blue legged hermits in a mixed reef and have had no issues with them eating or harming corals in any way. The worst they have done is use my feather duster for a springboard so that his tube got bent, but the feather is still surviving and thriving so no biggie.

spanky
07-15-2008, 04:26 PM
I have 4 dwarf zerbra hermits and a blue legged hermit and have had no problems eating anything they arent suppsed to. Other than harassing each other now and then, they have been good.

levi1803
07-15-2008, 04:45 PM
I have two scarlets and 2 blue legs and they have all been good with everything I have, other than a few scraps with each other they seem fine.

ElGuappo
07-15-2008, 11:18 PM
i have never had a problem with it either. i do on occasion feed them pellets just to keep them happy. shrimp seem to like them as well. (more than frozen food)