PDA

View Full Version : Clownfish not eating...

JDigital
07-15-2008, 02:37 AM
I added a ocellaris clown to my tank 3-4 days ago, and the first time when I added food, it ate with no problems, the past 2 nights, it hasn't ate a single bite of food..

I have been feeding frozen brine shrimp w/ crushed flake food added the past 2 nights thinking that it just didn't like the brine, but that hasn't worked.

It also sticks to one end of the tank, and from the limited time I have seen, has not ventured elsewhere in the tank (atleast not when the lights are on). My pygmy angel on the other hand eats with NO problems.

What can I do? The clown is small, so I am worried about starvation.

Help!

Red Coral Aquariums
07-15-2008, 02:57 AM
You could try mysis shrimp or come in and see me I'll get you set with some food incentives and maybe a bit of Michika's homemade recipe.
Kevin

WuHT
07-15-2008, 04:12 AM
hmm the clownfish sticking to one corner isn't too worrisome..but not eating definately is.

Did it eat while it was in QT ? perhaps the angel is making it nervous.
From my experience, my clowns would stop eating and flee when my triggerfish rushes at the food (scattering the clowns).

JDigital
07-15-2008, 04:19 AM
hmm the clownfish sticking to one corner isn't too worrisome..but not eating definately is.

Did it eat while it was in QT ? perhaps the angel is making it nervous.
From my experience, my clowns would stop eating and flee when my triggerfish rushes at the food (scattering the clowns).

To be honest I don't have a QT tank yet.. I did acclimate it very slowly via the drip method... As for the Angel, he hangs out inside the rock ALOT (99%) and only ventures out during feeding time right now. He was very skittish and nervous when I first added him, and only just today did I notice that he wasn't darting off into the rock when I approached the tank. To be honest, the Angel never really even goes near the clownfish, so I find it unlikely that the angel is the cause of the problem. (But I've been wrong before.. haha)

JDigital
07-21-2008, 02:37 AM
Update:

Been away for the past 5 days, and my tank sitter informed me that my clown still is not eating. He is getting quite thin now, heavy breathing, was near the water line when I got home tonight, but I have since moved him into the fuge.

I don't know what to do.. :sad:

tlo
07-21-2008, 02:43 AM
try soaking the food with garlic... and see if this stimulates it to eat

JDigital
07-21-2008, 02:48 AM
try soaking the food with garlic... and see if this stimulates it to eat

I have tried stimulating it with a small piece of michika's homemade food, and it doesn't work, and that stuff is loaded with garlic.

EDIT:
One more note, when he swims, his tail end drops quite low, and it almost appears that he is struggling to stay off the bottom of the tank... I will be surprised if he makes the night.. I really don't know what to do...

tlo
07-21-2008, 02:51 AM
what are your water parameters, particularly ammonia and nitrates. Any ammonia can cause rapid breathing as it burns their gills.

JDigital
07-21-2008, 03:14 AM
what are your water parameters, particularly ammonia and nitrates. Any ammonia can cause rapid breathing as it burns their gills.

I could perform a test right now, but I jumped the gun when I got home from my trip and performed an emergency water change.. so likely to be around where it needs to be... I have a pygmy angel in the tank too, with no signs of distress.

tlo
07-21-2008, 03:18 AM
water change was probably a good idea. It may be acclimatization stress as well. Did you measure the sg of the stores water by any chance? Sometimes the stores keep a really low specific gravity and the fish needs longer than normal to acclimatize (sometimes hours) to our tanks water.

it might be worth while to test your water anyways, just to make sure.

JDigital
07-21-2008, 03:23 AM
water change was probably a good idea. It may be acclimatization stress as well. Did you measure the sg of the stores water by any chance? Sometimes the stores keep a really low specific gravity and the fish needs longer than normal to acclimatize (sometimes hours) to our tanks water.

it might be worth while to test your water anyways, just to make sure.

I will run a test soon.... Acclimatization was a slow drip method... took close to an hour before i had cycled the water thru enough... I have had the clown for well over a week now... so he should be use to my water sg...

JDigital
07-21-2008, 04:03 AM
Ammonia looks to be around 0.3 The clown is not doing well... went to check on him and he was laying on his side on the bottom.... swam is circles, loops, upside down, etc... I'm pretty sure he is done :( I have him in a cup now, just gonna put him in the freezer and let him fall asleep. :cry: