PDA

View Full Version : Pairing Different Clownfish?

Der_Iron_Chef
07-14-2008, 11:51 PM
I have a Cinnamon Clownfish (A. melanopus) and I'm wondering if it would be foolish to attempt to pair a different clown with it. Like, if I put a juvenile Clarkii or Percula, would there be trouble?

I have researched and I know this has been done successfully and actually does, rarely, occur in the wild. But does anyone have direct experience?

scorpio73
07-15-2008, 12:24 AM
I ve got marroons in with clarkis and have had no troubles just a bit of chasing in the first few days of intro but they all get along good have done this a couple times

Der_Iron_Chef
07-15-2008, 12:47 AM
You mean a pair of Maroons with a pair of Clarkii's? Or one of each?

dsaundry
07-15-2008, 12:55 AM
Scorpio73
I ve got marroons in with clarkis and have had no troubles just a bit of chasing in the first few days of intro but they all get along good have done this a couple times

What size tank is it?? I wouldnt put another clown in with my Gs Maroons, I dont even like sticking my hand in sometimes. Mine are in a 90g tank.
So long as the tank is big enough..sure, but I think Drew's tank is a 55g, which may not be large enough..Might get lucky though if fish are small enough and how they are introduced...

scorpio73
07-15-2008, 12:57 AM
1 marroon and 2 clarkis in know was 1 of each and we have added another clarkie and things are good . i think if the tank is big enough and theres enough things to host . because i have gsp that gets hosted 2 enems and a toad stool they host different thing s all the time lol but the rarly chase each other ya my tank is 180gal but they were together in my 90 before that a 55 may be risky unless there small

saltyrockbox
07-15-2008, 01:19 AM
Yesterday I put a new Ocellaris clown in with an older one, about the same size fish, in a 70g tank and the old guy attacked and killed the new guy in a day. I think there is a lot of luck involved.

dsaundry
07-15-2008, 11:37 AM
The one trick I will pass on about introducing clowns is this as it worked very well with my GSM's. I had an old clear plastic/plexi breeder container, the type used for housing baby guppies etc. They float or can be sunk. What I did was put the smallest clown in the container and sunk it down by the anemone in the tank. I would bring it up at feeding times, float it and then resink it after feeding. I did this for about one week to ten days. I will point out that this was done in a 90g with lots of rock and hiding places. I then released the little guy into the tank and he swam right after the big one who promptly pinned him into the rock. She kept him at bay for a few days but slowly allowed him to get closer to one of the anemones. It took about a week or two after that but they are inseparable now and protect their anemone's with great passion. I think that it took so much time as they have to figure out what sex they are. The big one will always be the female if I remember my clown physiology....I think the big key is to be patient and let them see each other for a bit, without being able to get into direct contact. Have lots of hiding spots and cross your fingers. Even in the wild its a crap shoot.