PDA

View Full Version : Divider Design - Avoiding Flow Rectriction?

Myka
07-13-2008, 08:49 PM
I have a 40g breeder that I'm going to put a divider down the middle and have two mini-reefs on each side. The reason is to house two breeding pairs of Bangaiis. I'm going to use either black acrylic or dark smoked glass for the divider. I think it will look cleaner that way, and the pairs won't be able to see eachother which could be stressful for them.

The tank has a sump, and the plumbing goes into the tank on the left and out on the right with a Herbie overflow. In is 1/2" and out is 1". So, how can I get decent flow through the divider? I was just going to drill a 1" bulkhead with a strainer into the divider, but I think it would be ugly. I thought of doing an overflow from one side to the other, which I think is the best idea. What do you guys think?

Myka
07-17-2008, 03:23 AM
???

Sebae again
07-17-2008, 04:23 AM
I think the overflow idea is a great idea . Maybe to supplement the flow in the dead spots on either side you could use split the return with valves on each side to balance the flow.

kwirky
07-17-2008, 03:44 PM
make your divider out of multiple sheets, spaced apart enough so the fish can't get through yet water will go through well (unless you're trying to keep fry from going through as well). If you do this method remember to keep the spaces between the panes nice n clean so that water flow isn't restricted. Then you have your pump pick up from one section and dump in the other basically.

Midknight
07-17-2008, 04:12 PM
What is the size of the tank? is it drilled? if so where?
Knowing where the drain and return are will help with the design.

Myka
07-19-2008, 01:40 AM
Thanks for the ideas so far!!! I like the baffle idea...Bangaiis are small though, they might go through.

The tank is a 40g breeder, it is drilled with return/outflow in each upper back corner.

phillybean
07-19-2008, 02:39 AM
I would go with an overflow as well as lots of small holes drilled in the divider. A powerhead on each side or at least a return on each side.

Myka
07-19-2008, 06:00 AM
I have a powerhead for each side of the tank. I wasn't planning on the return to be the only flow in the tank. I don't like the idea of having dual returns without dual overflows. I think I would achieve better circulation if there is just a single return and overflow rather than dual returns with a single overflow. I'm not sure I want to run dual overflows and dual returns though as it's quite possible the future of this tank may change, and having duals on a 40g tank is kinda silly imo. The main purpose of this tank is NOT to be a reef, but to be a breeding tank for Bangaiis. I'm giving all my SPS away, and will only have LPS in this tank (and only because I already have them lol). I'm sure the flow from a powerhead on each side will be plenty as far as the corals go. I just don't want the one side of the tank to overflow onto the carpet due to restricted flow through the divider or be touchy enough as to clog up and overflow on the carpet. Know what I mean?

I like all these ideas though, keep em coming!!!

Midknight
07-19-2008, 02:59 PM
How about going backwards from the rest of the thoughts. :idea:
Have 2 dividers in the center about 2" apart with lots of small holes.
Have the return go in between them.
You can have a higher return rate as it would be dispersed into both sides from the holes.:wink:
That way you can run both over flows at once.

phillybean
07-19-2008, 03:53 PM
[QUOTE=Myka;335380] I'm giving all my SPS away, and will only have LPS in this tank (and only because I already have them lol). [QUOTE]

Hey.....I know a guy with a 75 gallon who might be interested in some SPS corals.....

phillybean
07-19-2008, 03:59 PM
Good idea as well Midknight.

Myka, whatever you do, make sure the divider is lower than the top of the tank with small teeth that any Bangaiis can't get thru.

Myka
07-19-2008, 04:15 PM
How about going backwards from the rest of the thoughts. :idea:
Have 2 dividers in the center about 2" apart with lots of small holes.
Have the return go in between them.
You can have a higher return rate as it would be dispersed into both sides from the holes.:wink:
That way you can run both over flows at once.

That would work too, but I don't want any more holes in the tank.

I think so far I like the idea of really close baffles or just an overflow best. Gotta decide. :)

Good idea as well Midknight.

Myka, whatever you do, make sure the divider is lower than the top of the tank with small teeth that any Bangaiis can't get thru.

Ya...I may not even use teeth though...might just let it overflow of a smooth top to the divider or maybe use egg crate. Not sure.

[QUOTE=Myka;335380] I'm giving all my SPS away, and will only have LPS in this tank (and only because I already have them lol). [QUOTE]

Hey.....I know a guy with a 75 gallon who might be interested in some SPS corals.....

The corals already have a home. I offered them to a CanReef buddy already. :)