PDA

View Full Version : green carpet anemone 1 ft radius

Tigerarmy
07-13-2008, 05:14 PM
Has anyone ever heard of this type of anemone causing hives and swelling in humans?I've heard this type is poisonous but is that entirely true?

Der_Iron_Chef
07-13-2008, 05:17 PM
Not poisonous, no.....but they can sting you. When in contact with the anemone, it will just seem like the tentacles are sticking to you. After contact, you may develop a stinging sensation in the area it touched.

Delphinus
07-13-2008, 05:36 PM
I had haddoni for a number of years and noticed that I would have really itchy welts on my fingers the day after contact. Not unlike mosquito bites or similar. Very itchy for about a day.

It is possible to have an allergic reaction to the nematocysts. .. it's better to use gloves if you have to handle them or working in a way such that occasional contact is possible. Just some of those disposable latex or whatever gloves are fine, the kind you buy 100 for $4 at Home Depot, sort of thing..

Black Phantom
07-13-2008, 08:18 PM
When Big Als was still open down south one of the girls showed me her arm after contact with a carpet. Her entire arm was starting to swell.
I think it's like a bee sting to humans. Some people don't react and some have to run for the Epi pen.

SATELLITE
07-13-2008, 08:22 PM
my g/f is the same way with bee stings. get stung epi pen comes out or it may not look too good for her. now i have a bluelined foxface so shes kinda keeping her hands out of the tank..

Myka
07-13-2008, 08:51 PM
I've handled lots of anemones, and none of them bother me. My Bubble coral bothers me a little bit, just itchy skin for a couple hours though. Bloodworms though...can't be anywhere near 'em!!!

SATELLITE
07-13-2008, 09:02 PM
i had my anenome stuck to my hand, had to peel of each tentical. didn't affect me at all

Redoc
07-13-2008, 09:27 PM
I had a green carpet as well ( beautiful but nasty ) you can learn not to let them grab a hold of you by only touching the body. Mine once wrapped all up my arm and it took me a couple minutes to get it all off I was left with some itchy red dots but no swelling. I eventualy returned it to the store after it had destroyed my setup and had eaten about $200 of fish.