PDA

View Full Version : bulk head

LeeR
07-11-2008, 10:17 PM
I need to drill 2 - 1" drains and 1 - 3/4" return the glass is 3/8" thick how far aprat and from the edge do they need to be for the tank to hold together.

picture of how i want it to be

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc152/leerozankoski/clam%20tank/DSC_0003.jpg

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc152/leerozankoski/clam%20tank/DSC_0006.jpg

mark
07-11-2008, 10:24 PM
Have read the general rule of thumb for glass is the hole diameter away from the edge and other holes and seems how my tank was drilled.

Hope Sphelps comments.

LeeR
07-11-2008, 10:39 PM
Thanks. Seems like it should work out if thats the case.

would like to hear what other people have to say aswell

sphelps
07-13-2008, 11:15 PM
If the bottom pane is placed on foam and fully supported by the stand the holes can be that close. The glass should however be drilled at a supplier, most glass shops don't have the best equipment. You need the holes to be drilled from both sides to eliminate breakaway chipping which can spread into cracks, especially with holes that close. Also be sure you leave lots of access to those bulkheads, especially the style you plan on using. They are not reverse threaded and come loose easy and often start leaking later down the road requiring tightening or replacing.

It seems obvious you're trying to minimize the space used by the overflow, have you considered an external overflow? Or perhaps moving the return line to the back pane? A lot of people seem to like containing everything within the stand, but running all your plumbing behind the tank and stand keeps things much cleaner and more open withing the stand. Just something to thing about.

LeeR
07-14-2008, 01:19 AM
Thanks sphelps. i took it to the place i got it cut and apparently was done successfully so the voice message said... i will see monday after work. The tank will be fully supported and im going to get some of that non slip foam rubber stuff they use for the ada cube gardens.

Would it be possable to use a bit of pvc glue to glue the threads in place.. sort of like lock tight... Either way they will have easy access to the hole plumbing.

Anyway thanks again.

sphelps
07-14-2008, 11:34 PM
Don't glue the threads, sometimes those gaskets need replacing.