PDA

View Full Version : Getting my new copperband to eat.

Douglas
07-11-2008, 12:08 PM
Hi everyone. I recently added a new copperband to my tank. I watched him eat at the fish store, but pellets. I'm trying to get him to eat frozen food. Any ideas? I Could you any advice. Doug

fishytime
07-11-2008, 12:40 PM
Could try a garlic additive. Or Michikas food.

Black Phantom
07-11-2008, 01:28 PM
If he's eating pellets I would be real happy with that. They are known to be very picky eaters. I lost two that just wouldn't eat anything.
Once he's been in the tank for a while and really well adjusted I think you could try some other foods.
A lot has to do with how much he has to compete against the other fish for food. My tank might have been too aggresive for a Copperband.

sphelps
07-11-2008, 01:47 PM
Sounds like you just need a little more patience, if was eating pellets at the store once it's settled in it will probably eat whatever you feed it. If not you can get live clams from superstore, crack them open and place it in the tank. The copperband won't be able to resist.

michika
07-11-2008, 02:05 PM
Keep feeding the pellets, and then start adding in frozen food to a container with the pellets, and let them together soak in tank water so they can absorb each other's smell/taste. Then slowly add the mixture over a period of 10 or so minutes to the tank.

Delphinus
07-11-2008, 04:34 PM
Eating pellets is awesome. I wish I could get mine to eat pellets, I have to feed mine mysis (only food besides mussels and oysters and Manilla clams that he'll touch).

Basically mixing pellets in with mysis and/or Michika's food is probably the best bet.

Frankly though if he's eating anything at all I would continue to offer that until you see him eating other foods - they are soooo stubborn, if they don't like what you're offering, they will starve to death rather than try some..

Delphinus
07-11-2008, 05:29 PM
Geez, the way I worded that it looks like *I* think eating pellets is awesome. Just to clarify ... if your CBB is eating pellets, that is an awesome development as it means this individual is open to trying exotic ("exotic" to him or her, anyhow) foods, and this bodes well for the long-term life of this fish. Good luck!

Drock169
07-11-2008, 06:27 PM
Careful with feeding CBB clams, I've heard of them developing a taste for it and going after the clams in your tank.

Delphinus
07-11-2008, 07:25 PM
Interestingly, I had heard that but I had also heard the exact opposite - in that by feeding clams you can avoid them going after your ornamental clams. It makes sense in a different kind of way - if they're not starving to death they won't be as desperate for food. FWIW, two years now with mine and feeding the occasional shellfish, and in with clams in the same tank, touch wood - no issues as yet. I can't convince mine to eat any kind of prepared foods - even Michika's home made food which is a hit with everyone else in the tank, is shunned. Mysis and shellfish it is then.

Edit/PS: I'm pretty sure that if one of my clams got injured or stressed though - that there would be a different story. Hopefully if/when that ever happens I'll be able to intervene, guess all I can do is hope for the best that it doesn't happen. Because I'm pretty sure the smell of clam blood would spell instant disaster.

Douglas
07-13-2008, 10:58 PM
Well.....I've tried the clam, the mysis, brine, and pellets (that is was eating), and different combinations suggested, and nothing.(everything else in the tank is thriving, and nothing is picking on him) He now seems to be struggling. (Drat! such a beautiful fish). I've turned of one of my circulation pumps also to give him some relief, any more suggestions?

littlesilvermax
07-13-2008, 11:28 PM
My 6 yr old CBB will go for right after ANY clam. Ornamental or $0.50 cent ones.

I tried putting a clam in my QT tank (that had the CBB in it) and he went right for the calm after about 2.5 secs.

I am selling all my clams as they have lived in the sump for quite some time now.

Douglas
07-14-2008, 01:03 PM
Well.....much to my dismay, my copperband didn't make it. Thanks for the advice everyone:sad:

SATELLITE
07-14-2008, 04:32 PM
my cbb doesn't eat what i put in the tank. but eats what ever is ont he rocks and i have had him now for 2-3 months and he is looking good..

Delphinus
07-14-2008, 04:41 PM
Sorry to hear it. :(

Pier Pressure
07-14-2008, 04:52 PM
Aw that is too bad. Really sorry to hear about your loss. I just hate losing a fish - makes me rethink this hobby every time.

fiorano
07-21-2008, 04:04 PM
thats to bad :( my copperband only ate brine shrimp when i got him but now he eats a steady flow of mysis liek all my other fish. i wish i could get him on pellets

Delphinus
07-21-2008, 04:47 PM
Think I've finally figured out what's been doing in my blastomussa's .... all of a sudden about 2-3 months ago they just started receding, receding, receding, and all this time I'm thinking, "...what now?" thinking it's related to whatever it is that does in SPS in this particular tank. I just picked up one of them in my hand to look at it closer, and my CBB comes up to me all happy! "Right on!! Thanks for holding it up so I can get to it easier!!! <pick!> <pick!>" .... I've sometimes held up rocks in my hand so he can eat the aiptasia on those rocks, same kind of thing.

I've moved the blastos into a different tank ... we'll see if they come back!

Really is hit and miss, I guess with these CBB's then, for the reef-safeness factor ... Just weird that I've had him for nearly 2 years and out of the blue develops a taste for blastos. Just goes to show though that nothing's a given!