PDA

View Full Version : Timers

Jim Barry
07-10-2008, 08:50 PM
I am looking for a programable timer that you can regulate to turn on and off approximately every minute to run a perilstaltic pump.

Does anyone know where I can buy one of these in Calgary

Thanks,

Jim

Ryan_Lap
07-10-2008, 09:19 PM
I bought a timer from Home Depot that looks like a power bar. 4 outlets on one side are timers and on the other side 4 are constant power. For the timers I beleive you can run up to 7 different times a day power on/off. Minimal amount on/off is 1 minute. I think I paid about $15 for it. Works great.

michika
07-10-2008, 09:31 PM
Does it need to be a plug in timer, or is it something you are willing to wire in?

Jim Barry
07-10-2008, 09:43 PM
I prefer a plug in type......

I need continuous on/off over a 24 hour period. I can only find the timers that have around 10 on/off periods

michika
07-10-2008, 09:58 PM
Sorry, can't help.

If you do eventually want something that is inline, I can recommend one that has up to 24 periods.

Good luck, and please post up if you do find something!

Swags
07-10-2008, 09:59 PM
Jim, check your hydroponic store for a minute timer, they are used for CO2, they work on a 60 minute cycle. Are you the same dude I bought my first fish from?? It was at hole in the wall behind the old Super S on 14th ave SW.... like 30 years ago!?
Cheers,
Phil

Delphinus
07-10-2008, 10:19 PM
Man I remember that store. :redface: That was a long time ago. Although Hole in the Wall continued to exist I think well into the early 90's in a spot on Macleod Trail.

Anyhow, Jim, I know your pain as I've looked into this myself. There aren't a lot of cheap options. Hydroponics store is probably the only spot locally, Home Depot/Rona/etc isn't very likely to have anything that fits the bill.

What are you hoping to use it for? There might be a different way we can achieve the same endgoal.

There's also stuff like this (still not really cheap though):
http://oceanaquatics.com/store/product/2373/Aqua-Medic-Dual-Dosing-Pumps/
http://www.mops.ca/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/skus/do/DOSP-LM3-115.asp?L+scstore+xjhg9527ff964e96+1215730585

michika
07-10-2008, 11:50 PM
OMG I remember Hole in the Wall! I remember begging my Dad to drive me over to get freshwater fish when I was in elementary school.

Jim Barry
07-11-2008, 12:24 AM
Tony,

I am trying to make a fixed peristaltic pump into a variable pump by regulating the outflow through the use of a timer. I want to buy a fixed pump (because they are alot cheaper) with double the outflow that I need and then use the timer to achieve the proper outflow from my calcium reactor in order to regulate the alk and calcium level.

Jim

Argentiner
07-11-2008, 12:53 AM
I have a Natural Wave Multi-Cycle Timer/Wavemaker that you might be able to use. It's the same as this:

http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/product-info.php?product_ID=wm-nwt

I could give it to you for $25

Scott

Delphinus
07-11-2008, 05:48 AM
I thought about suggesting that one but realized, doesn't the off cycle match the on cycle? Ie., you can vary the on-off from 5 seconds to 3 minutes but if the off is as long as the on then no matter what it's set at, the pump is on 50% of the time.

I'm not sure where you could find these but I think one of these timers might fit the bill. If you find one of these can you let us know where?

repeat cycle - http://intermatic.com/Default.asp?action=subcat&sid=90&cid=51&did=5

percentage cycle - http://intermatic.com/Default.asp?action=subcat&sid=155&cid=51&did=5

Jim Barry
07-11-2008, 03:02 PM
Tony,

You're right, I need a timer that I can vary the on time and off time seperately. ie) on 1 minute, off 2 minutes).

Tony, can you move this thread to the "REEF" forum. Maybe someone in another city knows where to get one that is reasonable in price.

Thanks,

Jim

Delphinus
07-11-2008, 04:16 PM
Will do. In the meantime, my suggestion is check with QuickGrow and BumperCrop here in town... they might have something similar.

The Intermatic website lists Home Depots, Rona, Totem.. when I enter my postal code for nearby retailers, but I'm pretty sure the big box retailers here wouldn't stock such a timer. But the thing to do maybe is look up the part# (CT1000 or whatever it is for the percentage timer, I think that one is the more promising) and then see if one of the electrical suppliers here in town (Westburne or Britelite or Litemore or etc.) could order one in for you..

Good luck!

Alberta-newb
07-11-2008, 07:31 PM
I used to work with instrumentation about 20 years ago, one unit called a "recycle timer" will fit the bill but they are not cheap. They can be programed with independant on off durations anywhere from about 1/10 second to hours.

Here's an example: http://www.airotronics.com/site/product-repeatcycle_TGKD.php

I have an old one somewhere in my house I was saving to make a wave maker 20 years ago but be darned if I can find it now:cry: I'm sure there are plenty of instrumentation suppliers locally that can source one but be prepared to pay $150 to $500 for one.

Jim Barry
07-12-2008, 04:23 PM
wow... that's expensive... I think I might be better to purchase a variable speed peristaltic pump. They are about $200.00

Delphinus
07-12-2008, 05:17 PM
That was pretty much my conclusion too. I still think you should try looking for one of these percentage timers though. I'm betting they're $50ish so it's worthwhile finding out where one could be had.

Delphinus
07-16-2008, 04:32 PM
Any luck at the hydroponics stores Jim?

Myka
07-17-2008, 01:51 AM
I prefer a plug in type......

I need continuous on/off over a 24 hour period. I can only find the timers that have around 10 on/off periods

I was looking for the same type of pump last year. I gave up because I couldn't find one for less than a few hundred bucks.

xtreme
07-17-2008, 04:05 AM
Will do. In the meantime, my suggestion is check with QuickGrow and BumperCrop here in town... they might have something similar.

The Intermatic website lists Home Depots, Rona, Totem.. when I enter my postal code for nearby retailers, but I'm pretty sure the big box retailers here wouldn't stock such a timer. But the thing to do maybe is look up the part# (CT1000 or whatever it is for the percentage timer, I think that one is the more promising) and then see if one of the electrical suppliers here in town (Westburne or Britelite or Litemore or etc.) could order one in for you..

Good luck!

I used to work at Home Depot and they should be able to special order anything in from a vendor whose product they carry, intermatic being one. Bring the part number with you as they will definitely have a hard time finding it but they should be able to call for a price and get one in for you.

Delphinus
07-17-2008, 04:48 AM
Good to hear, thanks .. :)

Jim I also found this...

http://cgi.ebay.ca/INTERMATIC-CT-1000-PERCENTAGE-TIMER-120-240V_W0QQitemZ200226091696QQihZ010QQcategoryZ78206 QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp16 38Q2em118Q2el1247